Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » pde build leaves temp folders when using p2.gathering
pde build leaves temp folders when using p2.gathering [message #133430] Tue, 23 June 2009 06:39 Go to next message
Tom Hofmann is currently offline Tom Hofmann
Messages: 770
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi all,

my pde-build with p2.gathering enabled leaves temporary folders in each
bundle, for example:

<buildDirectory>/
plugins/
com.example.app/
com.example.app_1.2.3.0/ <-- this one created by the
assembly step


Is this an oversight...? is there an easy way to clean these up? any
other advice?

Thanks, tom
Re: pde build leaves temp folders when using p2.gathering [message #133444 is a reply to message #133430] Tue, 23 June 2009 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael.sacarny is currently offline michael.sacarny
Messages: 103
Registered: July 2009
Location: USA
Senior Member
I use ant script to copy all projects needed to the buildDirectory in
advance of the build. This avoids polluting the workspace.
Re: pde build leaves temp folders when using p2.gathering [message #133469 is a reply to message #133444] Tue, 23 June 2009 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Hofmann is currently offline Tom Hofmann
Messages: 770
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
thanks michael,

this is of course possible, but I'd rather keep one source tree and keep
it as clean as possible. Removing any stale "@dot" and "feature.temp"
elements is easy, but removing the ever different subfolders from the
bundle is awkhard with ant...

-t

MSacarny wrote:
> I use ant script to copy all projects needed to the buildDirectory in
> advance of the build. This avoids polluting the workspace.
Re: pde build leaves temp folders when using p2.gathering [message #133480 is a reply to message #133469] Tue, 23 June 2009 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Niefer is currently offline Andrew Niefer
Messages: 990
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tom,
If your buildDirectory is the same as your workspace, you can get these
temporary files generated elsewhere by setting
buildTempFolder = /some/other/folder

If you have features, you may also want to set "feature.temp.folder"

Export from the UI uses these to help avoid polluting the workspace.

-Andrew

Tom Hofmann wrote:
> thanks michael,
>
> this is of course possible, but I'd rather keep one source tree and keep
> it as clean as possible. Removing any stale "@dot" and "feature.temp"
> elements is easy, but removing the ever different subfolders from the
> bundle is awkhard with ant...
>
> -t
>
> MSacarny wrote:
>> I use ant script to copy all projects needed to the buildDirectory in
>> advance of the build. This avoids polluting the workspace.
Re: pde build leaves temp folders when using p2.gathering [message #133534 is a reply to message #133480] Wed, 24 June 2009 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Hofmann is currently offline Tom Hofmann
Messages: 770
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Thanks Andrew,

this solves the problem I was asking about - are there any additional
properties I can set to keep my workspace even cleaner? Currently I
manually remove the following generated files:

- generated build scripts per bundle (build.xml)
- overall assemble / packaging scripts
- javaCompiler.*.args

-tom

Andrew Niefer wrote:
> Tom,
> If your buildDirectory is the same as your workspace, you can get
> these temporary files generated elsewhere by setting
> buildTempFolder = /some/other/folder
>
> If you have features, you may also want to set "feature.temp.folder"
>
> Export from the UI uses these to help avoid polluting the workspace.
>
> -Andrew
>
> Tom Hofmann wrote:
>> thanks michael,
>>
>> this is of course possible, but I'd rather keep one source tree and
>> keep it as clean as possible. Removing any stale "@dot" and
>> "feature.temp" elements is easy, but removing the ever different
>> subfolders from the bundle is awkhard with ant...
>>
>> -t
>>
>> MSacarny wrote:
>>> I use ant script to copy all projects needed to the buildDirectory
>>> in advance of the build. This avoids polluting the workspace.
Re: pde build leaves temp folders when using p2.gathering [message #133597 is a reply to message #133534] Wed, 24 June 2009 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Niefer is currently offline Andrew Niefer
Messages: 990
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Instead of setting buildDirectory=workspace, you can set it to be some
other folder where you don't mind the extra files.

Then, set "pluginPath=workspace". "pluginPath" is a File.pathSeparator
(: or ; depending on the platform) separated list of extra locations to
look for plugins and features in. Doing this lets build find all your
plugins, but generate most of the scripts elsewhere.

This will take care of the assemble/package scripts. I think you are
stuck cleaning up the build.xml and javaCompiler.*.args manually.

-Andrew

Tom Hofmann wrote:
> Thanks Andrew,
>
> this solves the problem I was asking about - are there any additional
> properties I can set to keep my workspace even cleaner? Currently I
> manually remove the following generated files:
>
> - generated build scripts per bundle (build.xml)
> - overall assemble / packaging scripts
> - javaCompiler.*.args
>
> -tom
>
> Andrew Niefer wrote:
>> Tom,
>> If your buildDirectory is the same as your workspace, you can get
>> these temporary files generated elsewhere by setting
>> buildTempFolder = /some/other/folder
>>
>> If you have features, you may also want to set "feature.temp.folder"
>>
>> Export from the UI uses these to help avoid polluting the workspace.
>>
>> -Andrew
>>
>> Tom Hofmann wrote:
>>> thanks michael,
>>>
>>> this is of course possible, but I'd rather keep one source tree and
>>> keep it as clean as possible. Removing any stale "@dot" and
>>> "feature.temp" elements is easy, but removing the ever different
>>> subfolders from the bundle is awkhard with ant...
>>>
>>> -t
>>>
>>> MSacarny wrote:
>>>> I use ant script to copy all projects needed to the buildDirectory
>>>> in advance of the build. This avoids polluting the workspace.
Re: pde build leaves temp folders when using p2.gathering [message #133735 is a reply to message #133597] Fri, 26 June 2009 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Hofmann is currently offline Tom Hofmann
Messages: 770
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Thanks for the tips - the suggested use of pluginPath works fine for my
product build (however, not for my secondary feature builds that create
testing and documentation features).

-t

Andrew Niefer wrote:
> Instead of setting buildDirectory=workspace, you can set it to be some
> other folder where you don't mind the extra files.
>
> Then, set "pluginPath=workspace". "pluginPath" is a
> File.pathSeparator (: or ; depending on the platform) separated list
> of extra locations to look for plugins and features in. Doing this
> lets build find all your plugins, but generate most of the scripts
> elsewhere.
>
> This will take care of the assemble/package scripts. I think you are
> stuck cleaning up the build.xml and javaCompiler.*.args manually.
>
Re: pde build leaves temp folders when using p2.gathering [message #774676 is a reply to message #133735] Wed, 04 January 2012 06:41 Go to previous message
Semen Boikov is currently offline Semen Boikov
Messages: 1
Registered: January 2012
Junior Member
Hi,

I set 'buildDirectory=/some/tmp/directory', 'buildTempFolder=/some'tmp/directory', 'feature.temp.folder=/some/tmp/directory' but following files are still no removed automatically after build had finished:
- build.xml per bundle
- javaCompiler.*.args

Is there way to automatically delete these files?

Thank you
Previous Topic:Reading only the last modification timestamp of an updatesite
Next Topic:Dynamic Contributtions using IExtensionRegistry.addContribution
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Jul 22 05:25:16 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.07919 seconds