Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Sharing Project Builders using Perforce - Invalid external Tool(Builders committed to source control turn into "Invalid external Tool" errors.)
icon4.gif  Sharing Project Builders using Perforce - Invalid external Tool [message #950400] Fri, 19 October 2012 21:51
Matthew Hughson is currently offline Matthew HughsonFriend
What files need to be submitted to source control for Projects to share Builders?

I am working on an project using Eclipse (Version Juno Service Release 1 - Build id: 20120920-0800). Our team uses Perforce as a means of source control for this project. To do so we use the P4Eclipse Plugin.

The issue I am having is when I add new Builders to a project.

index.php/fa/11975/0/
index.php/fa/11974/0/

The Builder works fine locally, but after I submit that change to Perforce, anyone who syncs up gets an error. If they open the Builder settings for the project, the Builder I added has been replaced with an error message:

Quote:
Invalid external Tool

I have submitted both the .project file and the .launch file. Clearly there is something more I need to submit.

Digging a little deeper, I found that on the other users machine, the .launch file I committed to Perforce had actually been deleted by Eclipse! Just opening the workspace containing the project causes it to delete that file. I believe that is the cause of the "Invalid external Tool" error; not that the tool is corrupt or something, but that it doesn't even exist.

Testing things further, I had the user manually create a new Builder with the exact same name locally. They then closed Eclipse, and revert all the changes they made. So at this point, there local project matches exactly what they had before. But now when they open up Eclipse the Builder I commit loads fine!

This implies that there is some local setting that tells Eclipse "don't delete the .launch; it is needed" and by simply creating one locally (even reverting that change after) that message is set.

So my ultimate question is: what files need to be under source control in order to share a project's Builder settings?
Previous Topic:Sharing Project Builders using Perforce - Invalid external Tool
Next Topic:Errors on Start up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:54:52 GMT 2024