Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events
Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #126670] Tue, 18 March 2008 00:51 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: thomast.hexi.com

This is my first attempt at using the TPTP profiler on a Tomcat Servlet launched through
webtools. I've been successful in profiling a java application. Here is what happens:

- I click the "Start server in profiling mode" button
- I get the "Profile on Server" Dialog.
- In the "Destination" Tab I browse for the project I want to profile for "Profiling project"
- Monitor: DefaultMonitor
- In the Monitor tab I select any of the JRE 1.5 or newer data collectors
- Click Finish
- The server starts up and after the init is run for the servlet, I see "connecting to
JVMTI agent" in the status. That goes away after a bit.
- I then see in the status: "Processed: xxxx bytes, bytes/second: xxx, events processed:
0, events/second: 0, elapsed time: xxxx seconds"

I never see any events and the views associated with the data collectors always say "No
data is available for display". I do see bytes being collected, though. Something is
talking.

Any hints on where the disconnect might be so that the data collectors will start collecting?

Note, I'm currently on jdk1.5.0_06 for the server.

Thanks,
-Tom
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #126724 is a reply to message #126670] Tue, 18 March 2008 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eugene Chan is currently offline Eugene Chan
Messages: 287
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Tom,

Is the view filtering support enabled and filtered the tracing events
collected in your views?
Also check and make sure the filter setup of the trace configuration
includes package/class/method of your servlet.

Eugene
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #126776 is a reply to message #126724] Tue, 18 March 2008 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: thomast.hexi.com

Hello Eugene,

I'm afraid I'm not sure how to answer your questions. Where do I find "view filtering
support"?

The view (Object Allocations: Memory Analysis, in this case) says (Filter: Default
Filter). I tried modifying the "Default Filter" by editing the properties of the
"<monitoring> Profiling (...)" entry in the Profiling Monitor and adding an entry for our
packages (com.sersol.*). This had no effect. I still get "No data is available for display".

Other than that, I'm afraid I don't follow. Where is the "filter setup of the trace
configuration"?

Sorry for being dense and thanks for taking the time.

-Tom
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #127079 is a reply to message #126670] Thu, 20 March 2008 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: thomast.hexi.com

Hey All,

I'm still struggling to figure out why I am not getting any data profiling a Tomcat
servlet launched through the webtools server launcher. Especially since I have no
problems getting data from a standard JUnit run on the same project. Any hints on where I
should be looking or documentation that would be relevant is welcome.

Thanks,
-Tom

on 3/17/2008 5:51 PM Tom Talbott said the following:
> This is my first attempt at using the TPTP profiler on a Tomcat Servlet
> launched through webtools. I've been successful in profiling a java
> application. Here is what happens:
>
> - I click the "Start server in profiling mode" button
> - I get the "Profile on Server" Dialog.
> - In the "Destination" Tab I browse for the project I want to profile
> for "Profiling project"
> - Monitor: DefaultMonitor
> - In the Monitor tab I select any of the JRE 1.5 or newer data collectors
> - Click Finish
> - The server starts up and after the init is run for the servlet, I see
> "connecting to JVMTI agent" in the status. That goes away after a bit.
> - I then see in the status: "Processed: xxxx bytes, bytes/second: xxx,
> events processed: 0, events/second: 0, elapsed time: xxxx seconds"
>
> I never see any events and the views associated with the data collectors
> always say "No data is available for display". I do see bytes being
> collected, though. Something is talking.
>
> Any hints on where the disconnect might be so that the data collectors
> will start collecting?
>
> Note, I'm currently on jdk1.5.0_06 for the server.
>
> Thanks,
> -Tom
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #127217 is a reply to message #127079] Fri, 21 March 2008 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: thomast.hexi.com

To follow-up, I was able to get data from a simpler webapp. There is one obvious
difference between the webapp I can profile and the one I can't: The init of the one that
is not getting data takes a while (couple of minutes). Other than that, they are
structured relatively the same. Is something timing out? Giving up?

Thanks,
-Tom

on 3/20/2008 10:09 AM Tom Talbott said the following:
> Hey All,
>
> I'm still struggling to figure out why I am not getting any data
> profiling a Tomcat servlet launched through the webtools server
> launcher. Especially since I have no problems getting data from a
> standard JUnit run on the same project. Any hints on where I should be
> looking or documentation that would be relevant is welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> -Tom
>
> on 3/17/2008 5:51 PM Tom Talbott said the following:
>> This is my first attempt at using the TPTP profiler on a Tomcat
>> Servlet launched through webtools. I've been successful in profiling
>> a java application. Here is what happens:
>>
>> - I click the "Start server in profiling mode" button
>> - I get the "Profile on Server" Dialog.
>> - In the "Destination" Tab I browse for the project I want to profile
>> for "Profiling project"
>> - Monitor: DefaultMonitor
>> - In the Monitor tab I select any of the JRE 1.5 or newer data collectors
>> - Click Finish
>> - The server starts up and after the init is run for the servlet, I
>> see "connecting to JVMTI agent" in the status. That goes away after a
>> bit.
>> - I then see in the status: "Processed: xxxx bytes, bytes/second: xxx,
>> events processed: 0, events/second: 0, elapsed time: xxxx seconds"
>>
>> I never see any events and the views associated with the data
>> collectors always say "No data is available for display". I do see
>> bytes being collected, though. Something is talking.
>>
>> Any hints on where the disconnect might be so that the data collectors
>> will start collecting?
>>
>> Note, I'm currently on jdk1.5.0_06 for the server.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Tom
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #127227 is a reply to message #127217] Fri, 21 March 2008 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: thomast.hexi.com

Another follow-up: After continued fiddling, I am now getting data in my main project. No
idea what exactly got it going. The only real problem now is that it locks up after only
a few minutes. I've read elsewhere that this is can be a problem. Makes it hard to track
down slow memory leaks, since it won't stay up long enough to figure out what is going on.
:(

I've tried increasing memory in eclipse and for the server. Seems to lockup before memory
is used up. It's definitely the VM that is locking up, eclipse keeps running. Any hints
on keeping the profiler from locking up a webapp that does lots of data processing?
Narrow down the amount of instrumentation?

Thanks in advance,
-Tom

on 3/21/2008 10:36 AM Tom Talbott said the following:
> To follow-up, I was able to get data from a simpler webapp. There is
> one obvious difference between the webapp I can profile and the one I
> can't: The init of the one that is not getting data takes a while
> (couple of minutes). Other than that, they are structured relatively
> the same. Is something timing out? Giving up?
>
> Thanks,
> -Tom
>
> on 3/20/2008 10:09 AM Tom Talbott said the following:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> I'm still struggling to figure out why I am not getting any data
>> profiling a Tomcat servlet launched through the webtools server
>> launcher. Especially since I have no problems getting data from a
>> standard JUnit run on the same project. Any hints on where I should
>> be looking or documentation that would be relevant is welcome.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Tom
>>
>> on 3/17/2008 5:51 PM Tom Talbott said the following:
>>> This is my first attempt at using the TPTP profiler on a Tomcat
>>> Servlet launched through webtools. I've been successful in profiling
>>> a java application. Here is what happens:
>>>
>>> - I click the "Start server in profiling mode" button
>>> - I get the "Profile on Server" Dialog.
>>> - In the "Destination" Tab I browse for the project I want to profile
>>> for "Profiling project"
>>> - Monitor: DefaultMonitor
>>> - In the Monitor tab I select any of the JRE 1.5 or newer data
>>> collectors
>>> - Click Finish
>>> - The server starts up and after the init is run for the servlet, I
>>> see "connecting to JVMTI agent" in the status. That goes away after
>>> a bit.
>>> - I then see in the status: "Processed: xxxx bytes, bytes/second:
>>> xxx, events processed: 0, events/second: 0, elapsed time: xxxx seconds"
>>>
>>> I never see any events and the views associated with the data
>>> collectors always say "No data is available for display". I do see
>>> bytes being collected, though. Something is talking.
>>>
>>> Any hints on where the disconnect might be so that the data
>>> collectors will start collecting?
>>>
>>> Note, I'm currently on jdk1.5.0_06 for the server.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Tom
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #127247 is a reply to message #127227] Mon, 24 March 2008 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Asaf Yaffe is currently offline Asaf Yaffe
Messages: 333
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tom,

Assuming your are using the Heap Profiler (i.e., the memory analysis
data collector), your options of limiting instrumentation are quite
limited at the moment. You can use the filtering capabilities (in the
Monitor tab) to specify which types of allocated objects to track, but
of-course this is useful only if you know upfront what are the types of
the leaking objects. Another option is to limit the amount of the
collected data by using the "pause collection" and "resume collections"
actions in the Eclipse Profiling Monitor view.

HTH,
Asaf

--
Asaf Yaffe
Eclipse TPTP Committer, JVMTI Profiler
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #127304 is a reply to message #127247] Tue, 25 March 2008 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: thomast.hexi.com

Asaf,

Thanks for the reply. There is another way to limit the data being collected and that is
in the "Profile on Server" dialog. Select the "Java Profiling - xxx" category you are
going to use and click "Edit Options". You can create a filter set that limits what
classes to collect data on. This significantly reduced the number of bytes of data being
collected during runtime and has helped me get further along, but eventually the webapp
still locks up. The last time I ran it it stopped at:

Processed: 19074317 bytes, bytes/second: 2999, events processed: 175292, events/second:
27, elapsed time: 6359 seconds

I don't see any errors in the eclipse error log. Is there somewhere else I can look?

Thanks,
-Tom


on 3/24/2008 4:27 AM Asaf Yaffe said the following:
> Tom,
>
> Assuming your are using the Heap Profiler (i.e., the memory analysis
> data collector), your options of limiting instrumentation are quite
> limited at the moment. You can use the filtering capabilities (in the
> Monitor tab) to specify which types of allocated objects to track, but
> of-course this is useful only if you know upfront what are the types of
> the leaking objects. Another option is to limit the amount of the
> collected data by using the "pause collection" and "resume collections"
> actions in the Eclipse Profiling Monitor view.
>
> HTH,
> Asaf
>
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #127403 is a reply to message #127304] Thu, 27 March 2008 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Asaf Yaffe is currently offline Asaf Yaffe
Messages: 333
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tom,

Did you try collecting data into a file (rather than sending data
"online" to the workbench)? Does your application still locks-up in this
case?

If so, can you create a thread dump of the Tomcat server (usually by
hitting Ctrl-Break at the console window running tomcat) and post it here?

Thanks,
Asaf

--
Asaf Yaffe
Eclipse TPTP Committer, JVMTI Profiler
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #127452 is a reply to message #127403] Thu, 27 March 2008 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: thomast.hexi.com

Asaf,

Just to clarify, when you say "collecting data into a file" are you referring to the
"Destination" tab in the "Profile on Server" dialog when launching Tomcat from within
Eclipse? Or, are you referring to running the profiling standalone (outside Eclipse)?
The only way I've found to get a thread dump running Tomcat from Eclipse is to use a
program like StackTrace to initiate a dump (Note, this is on Windows).

I have tried one run now with the "Send profiling data to a file" set and the Tomcat
process still locked up. Unfortunately, it locked up to the point that I was not able to
get StackTrace to dump the threads. I can try to set it up in standalone mode to see what
happens there, unless you have other suggestions.

Thanks,
-Tom

on 3/26/2008 11:51 PM Asaf Yaffe said the following:
> Tom,
>
> Did you try collecting data into a file (rather than sending data
> "online" to the workbench)? Does your application still locks-up in this
> case?
>
> If so, can you create a thread dump of the Tomcat server (usually by
> hitting Ctrl-Break at the console window running tomcat) and post it here?
>
> Thanks,
> Asaf
>
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #127568 is a reply to message #127452] Sat, 29 March 2008 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: thomast.hexi.com

Follow up:

I ran tomcat using standalone profiling without any filtering file and it locked up within
about a minute of running my test case against the server:

Set TPTP_AC_HOME=C:\agntctrl.win_ia32-TPTP-4.4.1
Set JAVA_PROFILER_HOME=%TPTP_AC_HOME%\plugins\org.eclipse.tptp.j avaprofiler
Set PATH=%JAVA_PROFILER_HOME%;%PATH%;%TPTP_AC_HOME%\bin
Set PATH=%PATH%;%JAVA_HOME%\bin
"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_15\bin\java.exe"
-agentlib:JPIBootLoader=JPIAgent:server=standalone,file=c:\t mp\cslog.trcxml;HeapProf:allocsites=true
-Xmx750m "-Dcatalina.base=C:\Documents and
Settings\tom.talbott\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclips e.wst.server.core\tmp1 "
-Dcatalina.home=C:\var\Tomcat5 "-Dwtp.deploy=C:\Documents and
Settings\tom.talbott\workspace" -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\var\Tomcat5\common\endorsed
-classpath "C:\var\Tomcat5\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_15\lib\tools.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\l ib\vivisimo.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\aspectjweaver.jar; C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\commons-el.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\comm on\lib\glassboxMonitor.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\jasper- compiler.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\jasper-compiler-jdt.j ar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\jasper-runtime.jar;C:\var\Tomca t5\common\lib\jsp-api.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\naming-f actory.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\naming-factory-dbcp.jar ;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\naming-resources.jar;C:\var\Tomca t5\common\lib\servlet-api.jar "
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

I tried ctrl-break and ctrl-c from the console window and got nothing. The process
appears to be truly locked up. The output file was at 623,115 KB. I used the latest
download I could find for the agent controller (4.4.1).

It might be worth noting that this is a highly multi-threaded server, though the test case
shouldn't be stressing that too bad. Nothing like production.

Anything else I can do to provide information?

Thanks,
-Tom

on 3/27/2008 4:35 PM Tom Talbott said the following:
> Asaf,
>
> Just to clarify, when you say "collecting data into a file" are you
> referring to the "Destination" tab in the "Profile on Server" dialog
> when launching Tomcat from within Eclipse? Or, are you referring to
> running the profiling standalone (outside Eclipse)? The only way I've
> found to get a thread dump running Tomcat from Eclipse is to use a
> program like StackTrace to initiate a dump (Note, this is on Windows).
>
> I have tried one run now with the "Send profiling data to a file" set
> and the Tomcat process still locked up. Unfortunately, it locked up to
> the point that I was not able to get StackTrace to dump the threads. I
> can try to set it up in standalone mode to see what happens there,
> unless you have other suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> -Tom
>
> on 3/26/2008 11:51 PM Asaf Yaffe said the following:
>> Tom,
>>
>> Did you try collecting data into a file (rather than sending data
>> "online" to the workbench)? Does your application still locks-up in
>> this case?
>>
>> If so, can you create a thread dump of the Tomcat server (usually by
>> hitting Ctrl-Break at the console window running tomcat) and post it
>> here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Asaf
>>
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #128058 is a reply to message #127568] Mon, 07 April 2008 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Asaf Yaffe is currently offline Asaf Yaffe
Messages: 333
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tom,

Can you please enable logging, repeat the "standalone" test and post the
generated log file here?

To enable logging, define the following environment variables in the
script that runs Tomcat:

set MARTINI_LOGGER_DIRECTORY=<path to an existing directory>
set MARTINI_LOGGER_LOG_LEVEL=5

Thanks,
Asaf

> Follow up:
>
> I ran tomcat using standalone profiling without any filtering file and
> it locked up within about a minute of running my test case against the
> server:
>
> Set TPTP_AC_HOME=C:\agntctrl.win_ia32-TPTP-4.4.1
> Set JAVA_PROFILER_HOME=%TPTP_AC_HOME%\plugins\org.eclipse.tptp.j avaprofiler
> Set PATH=%JAVA_PROFILER_HOME%;%PATH%;%TPTP_AC_HOME%\bin
> Set PATH=%PATH%;%JAVA_HOME%\bin
> "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_15\bin\java.exe"
> -agentlib:JPIBootLoader=JPIAgent:server=standalone,file=c:\t mp\cslog.trcxml;HeapProf:allocsites=true
> -Xmx750m "-Dcatalina.base=C:\Documents and
> Settings\tom.talbott\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclips e.wst.server.core\tmp1 "
> -Dcatalina.home=C:\var\Tomcat5 "-Dwtp.deploy=C:\Documents and
> Settings\tom.talbott\workspace"
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\var\Tomcat5\common\endorsed -classpath
> "C:\var\Tomcat5\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_15\lib\tools.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\l ib\vivisimo.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\aspectjweaver.jar; C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\commons-el.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\comm on\lib\glassboxMonitor.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\jasper- compiler.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\jasper-compiler-jdt.j ar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\jasper-runtime.jar;C:\var\Tomca t5\common\lib\jsp-api.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\naming-f actory.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\naming-factory-dbcp.jar ;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\naming-resources.jar;C:\var\Tomca t5\common\lib\servlet-api.jar "
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
>
> I tried ctrl-break and ctrl-c from the console window and got nothing.
> The process appears to be truly locked up. The output file was at
> 623,115 KB. I used the latest download I could find for the agent
> controller (4.4.1).
>
> It might be worth noting that this is a highly multi-threaded server,
> though the test case shouldn't be stressing that too bad. Nothing like
> production.
>
> Anything else I can do to provide information?
>
> Thanks,
> -Tom
>
> on 3/27/2008 4:35 PM Tom Talbott said the following:
>> Asaf,
>>
>> Just to clarify, when you say "collecting data into a file" are you
>> referring to the "Destination" tab in the "Profile on Server" dialog
>> when launching Tomcat from within Eclipse? Or, are you referring to
>> running the profiling standalone (outside Eclipse)? The only way I've
>> found to get a thread dump running Tomcat from Eclipse is to use a
>> program like StackTrace to initiate a dump (Note, this is on Windows).
>>
>> I have tried one run now with the "Send profiling data to a file" set
>> and the Tomcat process still locked up. Unfortunately, it locked up
>> to the point that I was not able to get StackTrace to dump the
>> threads. I can try to set it up in standalone mode to see what
>> happens there, unless you have other suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Tom
>>
>> on 3/26/2008 11:51 PM Asaf Yaffe said the following:
>>> Tom,
>>>
>>> Did you try collecting data into a file (rather than sending data
>>> "online" to the workbench)? Does your application still locks-up in
>>> this case?
>>>
>>> If so, can you create a thread dump of the Tomcat server (usually by
>>> hitting Ctrl-Break at the console window running tomcat) and post it
>>> here?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Asaf
>>>
Re: Profiling Tomcat Servlet - No Events [message #130010 is a reply to message #128058] Tue, 13 May 2008 00:26 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: thomast.hexi.com

Asaf,

Apologies for not getting back to you on this. I was pulled off onto a different project.
I will try your suggestion this week.

-Tom

on 4/7/2008 1:49 AM Asaf Yaffe said the following:
> Tom,
>
> Can you please enable logging, repeat the "standalone" test and post the
> generated log file here?
>
> To enable logging, define the following environment variables in the
> script that runs Tomcat:
>
> set MARTINI_LOGGER_DIRECTORY=<path to an existing directory>
> set MARTINI_LOGGER_LOG_LEVEL=5
>
> Thanks,
> Asaf
>
>> Follow up:
>>
>> I ran tomcat using standalone profiling without any filtering file and
>> it locked up within about a minute of running my test case against the
>> server:
>>
>> Set TPTP_AC_HOME=C:\agntctrl.win_ia32-TPTP-4.4.1
>> Set
>> JAVA_PROFILER_HOME=%TPTP_AC_HOME%\plugins\org.eclipse.tptp.j avaprofiler
>> Set PATH=%JAVA_PROFILER_HOME%;%PATH%;%TPTP_AC_HOME%\bin
>> Set PATH=%PATH%;%JAVA_HOME%\bin
>> "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_15\bin\java.exe"
>> -agentlib:JPIBootLoader=JPIAgent:server=standalone,file=c:\t mp\cslog.trcxml;HeapProf:allocsites=true
>> -Xmx750m "-Dcatalina.base=C:\Documents and
>> Settings\tom.talbott\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclips e.wst.server.core\tmp1 "
>> -Dcatalina.home=C:\var\Tomcat5 "-Dwtp.deploy=C:\Documents and
>> Settings\tom.talbott\workspace"
>> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\var\Tomcat5\common\endorsed -classpath
>> "C:\var\Tomcat5\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\Program
>> Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_15\lib\tools.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\l ib\vivisimo.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\aspectjweaver.jar; C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\commons-el.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\comm on\lib\glassboxMonitor.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\jasper- compiler.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\jasper-compiler-jdt.j ar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\jasper-runtime.jar;C:\var\Tomca t5\common\lib\jsp-api.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\naming-f actory.jar;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\naming-factory-dbcp.jar ;C:\var\Tomcat5\common\lib\naming-resources.jar;C:\var\Tomca t5\common\lib\servlet-api.jar "
>> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
>>
>> I tried ctrl-break and ctrl-c from the console window and got
>> nothing. The process appears to be truly locked up. The output file
>> was at 623,115 KB. I used the latest download I could find for the
>> agent controller (4.4.1).
>>
>> It might be worth noting that this is a highly multi-threaded server,
>> though the test case shouldn't be stressing that too bad. Nothing
>> like production.
>>
>> Anything else I can do to provide information?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Tom
>>
>> on 3/27/2008 4:35 PM Tom Talbott said the following:
>>> Asaf,
>>>
>>> Just to clarify, when you say "collecting data into a file" are you
>>> referring to the "Destination" tab in the "Profile on Server" dialog
>>> when launching Tomcat from within Eclipse? Or, are you referring to
>>> running the profiling standalone (outside Eclipse)? The only way I've
>>> found to get a thread dump running Tomcat from Eclipse is to use a
>>> program like StackTrace to initiate a dump (Note, this is on Windows).
>>>
>>> I have tried one run now with the "Send profiling data to a file" set
>>> and the Tomcat process still locked up. Unfortunately, it locked up
>>> to the point that I was not able to get StackTrace to dump the
>>> threads. I can try to set it up in standalone mode to see what
>>> happens there, unless you have other suggestions.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Tom
>>>
>>> on 3/26/2008 11:51 PM Asaf Yaffe said the following:
>>>> Tom,
>>>>
>>>> Did you try collecting data into a file (rather than sending data
>>>> "online" to the workbench)? Does your application still locks-up in
>>>> this case?
>>>>
>>>> If so, can you create a thread dump of the Tomcat server (usually by
>>>> hitting Ctrl-Break at the console window running tomcat) and post it
>>>> here?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Asaf
>>>>
>
Previous Topic:NullPointerException when trying to profile
Next Topic:Examples on writing a log correlator?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Oct 25 13:46:59 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02089 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software