Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Shared code for multiple copies of Eclipse(Trying to install two copies of Eclipse with different options)
Shared code for multiple copies of Eclipse [message #924384] Wed, 26 September 2012 20:06 Go to next message
David Patterson is currently offline David PattersonFriend
I'm setting up a pair of Eclipse environments since the two environments have conflicts when loaded together in a single directory.

Is there a way to have the basic code (the eclipse executable and related files) in one directory and then have two other directories with the separate .plugin, plugin files and other files?

This is for Ubuntu if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Dave P
Re: Shared code for multiple copies of Eclipse [message #924566 is a reply to message #924384] Thu, 27 September 2012 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
On 09/26/2012 03:06 PM, David Patterson wrote:
> I'm setting up a pair of Eclipse environments since the two environments
> have conflicts when loaded together in a single directory.
> Is there a way to have the basic code (the eclipse executable and
> related files) in one directory and then have two other directories with
> the separate .plugin, plugin files and other files?
>
> This is for Ubuntu if that makes a difference.
> Thanks
> Dave P
You don't want to install two different versions of Eclipse into one
directory. You should pick one for the initial install and then use the
Help->Install New Software dialog to add additional components.
Re: Shared code for multiple copies of Eclipse [message #925239 is a reply to message #924566] Thu, 27 September 2012 14:24 Go to previous message
David Patterson is currently offline David PattersonFriend
I need to have a copy of Eclipse that supports the ADT (Android Development Toolkit). But, installing that makes it difficult for users to edit non-ADT files that are xml files, such as Maven's pom.xml files. So, I want to have one directory for Eclipse with ADT and one for Eclipse without ADT.

What I'm trying to discover is if there is a way to
a) have the specific plugins in one directory and the executable base code of Eclipse in another folder, or
b) for extra credit, be able to have one directory with the ADT stuff and use another directory for all of the common plugins and executable code, or
c) for extra, extra credit, have one directory for the ADT plugins, one for the common plugins and one for base executable code.

Choices b&c would have less duplication than a, and any of these would have less duplication than the current approach with two directories -- one with executables and non-ADT plugins, and a second directory with executables, non-ADT plugins, and the ADT plugins.

Thanks.

Dave P
Previous Topic:Plugins' settings do not appear in Preferences
Next Topic:Support for TimesTen automatic client failover with JDBC?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:59:05 GMT 2024