Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » How to debug with Eclipse PDT and Xdebug when source files are on remote server
How to debug with Eclipse PDT and Xdebug when source files are on remote server [message #890649] Fri, 22 June 2012 18:58 Go to next message
Shishir Garg is currently offline Shishir GargFriend
Hi everyone,

I have tried a lot but not been able to understand the steps involved in debugging a PHP website residing on a remote server with eclipse Indigo PDT and Xdebug. Following is my configuration.

Remote:
LAMP, Xdebug

Local:
LAMP, Eclipse PDT with RSE,

My main problem is about the setup that I need to do locally to be able to debug the remote website.
Specifically:
1. Do I need to create a new eclipse project locally? If yes, where should I load the source files from and how? Do I need an exact copy of the source files as on the server?
2. Do I need to have all the files locally before I can start debugging? I copied only index.php to a local project and started debugging. I received the remote connection when I started debugging the website and could step through index.php, but not after that. If I don't need to have all the source files locally beforehand, how can I set a break point in a file that is reached after 20 function calls?
3. What other settings need to be setup to link the local and remote projects. Do I need to add a new PHP server? What should be the settings of the debug configuration?

I know about sshfs and tried to set it up using this link:
www.docplanet.org/php/how-to-debug-php/
but eclipse took forever to build project files on the server and hung.

Thank you.
Re: How to debug with Eclipse PDT and Xdebug when source files are on remote server [message #890896 is a reply to message #890649] Sat, 23 June 2012 11:07 Go to previous message
Toshihiro Izumi is currently offline Toshihiro IzumiFriend
You need to create a php project locally. It is a fundamental.
You need to have real files locally. (No debugger delivers the source file)
a) having an exact copy of source files which are on the server (you need to synchronize local and remote manually by ftp or such in this case)
..or..
b) having the RSE-linked-folder in the project (create linked-folder with RSE)

Google may help you.
Though I couldn't search the appropriate site.
Previous Topic:code assist problems
Next Topic:Debug with query string
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:30:52 GMT 2024