Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Installing WTP
Installing WTP [message #876792] Fri, 25 May 2012 09:32 Go to next message
David  Pérez is currently offline David PérezFriend
I used to think than adding plugins in Eclipse is easier than removing ones.

So I have started with the Java developer edition, and have just added the needed WTP sub-projects I need.

The result: a lot of GUI features are missing, like creating a new Dynamic web project. Confused

So I installed all the WTP plugins, without good results. Confused

Then I tried to copy all the plugins and features from the Eclipse Java EE, and restarted Eclipse with the -clean switch.
No results.

So I have reinstall everything from scratch, starting from the Java EE distribution and now it works. Smile

I would like to know what I'm missing, what is the trick, and to understand how WTP works.
I consider myself an RCP developer with an experience of several years.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Installing WTP [message #876833 is a reply to message #876792] Fri, 25 May 2012 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Victor Rubezhny is currently offline Victor RubezhnyFriend
David,

good point here is to review Prerequisites section of WTP Downloads page. All needed products are listed there and must be installed into Eclipse SDK before installing WTP.(download links are also provided for those products). Ensure that all the listed products are installed and running before installing WTP.

In most cases this way works fine to achieve WTP working in your Eclipse SDK.

Best Regards.
Re: Installing WTP [message #876854 is a reply to message #876833] Fri, 25 May 2012 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David  Pérez is currently offline David PérezFriend
Thanks Victor for your valuable answer.

1) If I install something from Eclipse, its dependencies should be installed automatically.

2) And in addition, I didn't have a full working WTP, even after copying over my Eclipse installation the full Eclipse JavaEE distribution.

Is it the -clean switch the only necessary step, in order to Eclipse of realizing of manually added plugins and features?
Re: Installing WTP [message #876897 is a reply to message #876854] Fri, 25 May 2012 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Victor Rubezhny is currently offline Victor RubezhnyFriend
1) Newer installed WTP from inside Eclipse Smile But... As for me, it's not always true. Basically, required plug-ins can be installed since WTP requires them to be installed. But many of WTP pre-requisites are optional, so, if you want some part of WTP to be installed/work you have to install manually all according prerequisites.

2) I always do the following: Install Eclipse SDK; then download and install all the pre-requisites mentioned in WTP Downloads page; then install some additional products (depending on a project i'm working on); then install WTP itself. The point is to make sure that all the installed plug-ins are loaded after each step. In most cases the WTP doesn't work because some of its pre-requisites isn't installed correctly. Actually I do install only those products which provided as an update site. I'm just unzip all the ZIP'ed products into my Eclipse SDK's /eclipse/ folder one by one and do restart eclipse for each inzipped/instaled product. It's much faster than installing it from inside Eclipse.

Regarding the -clean option... It used to clean plug-ins configuration (some times the old preferences/indexes/configs stored, don't allow a new plug-in to start), so it's usefull sometimes, but doesn't help in case the reason is not the wrong/broken/old plug-in configuration. In case of new installation it cannot help, since there are no saved configs yet.
Re: Installing WTP [message #877012 is a reply to message #876792] Fri, 25 May 2012 17:58 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

My guess is your biggest stumble after installing just the parts you thought you needed is that the creation of Dynamic Web Projects requires the Eclipse Java EE Developer Tools feature as well.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:importing/exporting servers
Next Topic:QuickFix(Processor) and XML Editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:32:00 GMT 2024