Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Best way to include a very large folder in the web server?
Best way to include a very large folder in the web server? [message #873656] Fri, 18 May 2012 19:18
Justin Ellis is currently offline Justin EllisFriend
Hi all,

I am working on a web project that includes an applet used to view image files, of which I have a couple hundred thousand sitting in a folder. I was accessing the files directly on my development machine, but the security issues associated with this have become unworkable (every time I redeploy the applet I need to re-sign the .jar file, and half the time my plugin will not recognize this re-signing, so I have to spend tons of time clearing cache, forcing .jnlp files to re-load and the like, only to have it suddenly stop generating security errors for no reason, or continue to generate security errors for operations that worked before).

Since these image files will be located on the web server in the final application, I decided to make the changes so that the applet can read them from the local web server and thus avoid the security issues. To do this, I went into the "Web Content" directory of my project and created a link to my local folder containing the image files (I have no idea if this is the best way to do this). The problem is, now when I try to start the Eclipse server to run a test, it just sits there forever "Publishing to Tomcat v7...localhost...", I am assuming because the folder is so big (it currently contains about 120,000 tiff images). Clicking on the "Shows Background operations in Progress view" button does not do anything, I assume because Eclipse is all jammed up trying to load this giant directory.

Is there some way I can get this directory and its contents accessible through the web server without causing Eclipse to completely choke while publishing the server?

Also, once I deploy this thing, will the Tomcat instance on my production machine similarly choke if I include such a large directory in with the webapps? Is there some better way to access these files with my applet, perhaps through some intermediary script file or something?

Thanks!

[Updated on: Fri, 18 May 2012 19:23]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Install Javascript Development Tools
Next Topic:automated non-interactive operation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:08:02 GMT 2024