Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » JavaServer Faces » Error running JSF2 project on Tomcat6
Error running JSF2 project on Tomcat6 [message #835094] Mon, 02 April 2012 19:47 Go to next message
Carlos Alegria is currently offline Carlos AlegriaFriend
Hi all,

I am using the Eclipse Java EE IDE for web developers, Indigo version. I've created a JSF 2.0 project following the tutorial "JSF Tools tutorial - Build a JSF 2.0 application" that comes with eclipse. When I press "right click" -> "Run As ..." -> "Run on Server" on the sample xhtml page, I got an error on the server output console:

Apr 2, 2012 1:02:59 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet Faces Servlet threw exception
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.core.Config
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1680)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1526)
	at com.sun.faces.application.view.JspViewHandlingStrategy.executePageToBuildView(JspViewHandlingStrategy.java:340)
	at com.sun.faces.application.view.JspViewHandlingStrategy.buildView(JspViewHandlingStrategy.java:150)
	at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.RenderResponsePhase.execute(RenderResponsePhase.java:96)
	at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.Phase.doPhase(Phase.java:97)
	at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:135)
	at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:309)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:859)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)

I am aware that Tomcat 6 does not contain the libraries needed for JSF 2.0, but I thought that telling Eclipse to include those libraries with the application would be enough. A weird thing is that, when exporting the app to a war file, the JSF 2.0 libraries are in fact included in the /WEB_INF/lib directory, but I am not able to run the app within the IDE.

As a "workaround", I installed the libraries directly on my Tomcat 6 installation, but there is no place in the documentation that says this is necessary.

Does anyone knows what should I do to solve this?

Thanks in advance
Re: Error running JSF2 project on Tomcat6 [message #835106 is a reply to message #835094] Mon, 02 April 2012 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian Trimble is currently offline Ian TrimbleFriend
Are you also including JSTL 1.2 in your web app? It's a JSTL library that can't be located, according to your stacktrace. JSF requires JSTL.

You can locate JSTL on the web at several locations, including http://download.oracle.com/otn_software/oepe/libraries/jstl-1.2.zip.

- Ian
Re: Error running JSF2 project on Tomcat6 [message #835333 is a reply to message #835106] Tue, 03 April 2012 04:12 Go to previous message
Carlos Alegria is currently offline Carlos AlegriaFriend
I have added the libraries to the project and now everything is working OK. Thanks a lot for your help!!

Previous Topic:Error while trying to create JavaServer Faces project
Next Topic:Customizing palette in Web Page Editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:48:32 GMT 2024