Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Ctrl+click (PHP Code Hyperlink Detector) and Content Assist do not work in PHP Project
icon8.gif  Ctrl+click (PHP Code Hyperlink Detector) and Content Assist do not work in PHP Project [message #829656] Mon, 26 March 2012 15:51 Go to next message
Ben Johnson is currently offline Ben JohnsonFriend
I have been using Eclipse PDT Helios (1.3.2.20110301-1807) for a year and have never had a problem with the Ctrl+click functionality (PHP Code Hyperlink Detector) or content-assist (code completion).

However, upon upgrading to Eclipse PDT Indigo (3.0.2.v2011102768), this functionality disappeared.

When I started Indigo for the first time, I chose my existing workspace (the one that was created with Helios).

Is there some fundamental incompatibility between major versions that would cause these features to fail when an "old" workspace is used in a newer version of Eclipse PDT?

Because I created a new workspace with Indigo, and tried creating a new project, and these project features function as expected. But as soon as I open the workspace with Helios, Eclipse seems to make some change to the workspace that causes these feature not to work in Indigo anymore.

My assumption was that I could open my existing workspace with either version of Eclipse PDT and have these features be available.

I examined the .project and .buildpath files in both workspaces/projects and they are identical. This seems to indicate that the problem is not with either of these files.

Basically, at this point, I'm trying to save myself the trouble of having to recreate several dozen projects (that were created with Helios) in Indigo.

I tried Importing the old projects from within Indigo and Ctrl+click and content-assist do indeed function as expected. So, in the worst case, I'll import all of my projects.

While this may be academic at this point, I'm curious if anyone may have insight. Perhaps it is completely unreasonable to expect that disparate versions of Eclipse PDT will be able to utilize the same workspace(s) without causing problems.
icon14.gif  Re: Ctrl+click (PHP Code Hyperlink Detector) and Content Assist do not work in PHP Project [message #831499 is a reply to message #829656] Thu, 29 March 2012 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As a follow-up, I just upgraded Eclipse from Helios to Indigo on another computer, and the very same issue occurred.

It seems safe to say that there is a fundamental incompatibility between old and new projects (at least between Helios and Indigo) that affects code auto-completion and hyperlink detection for functions/methods, etc.

To reiterate, the solution is to recreate the project (Export and then Import does indeed work) in the newer version of Eclipse.
Re: Ctrl+click (PHP Code Hyperlink Detector) and Content Assist do not work in PHP Project [message #836662 is a reply to message #831499] Wed, 04 April 2012 19:13 Go to previous message
An important correction to the following statement in my previous post:

Quote:

It seems safe to say that there is a fundamental incompatibility between old and new projects (at least between Helios and Indigo) that affects code auto-completion and hyperlink detection for functions/methods, etc.

The fundamental incompatibility is not with projects, it is with workspaces. As soon as I create a new workspace, these features function as expected, whether I recreate the project or import it.

So, to be clear, the solution is to create a new workspace in the newer version of Eclipse, and then recreate or import projects.

One would think Eclipse capable of "upgrading" workspaces, if necessary, although that may preclude the workspace from functioning should it be opened with a previous version of Eclipse (at least when absent strict compatibility rules).

[Updated on: Wed, 04 April 2012 19:14]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Tasks view not showing all tasks
Next Topic:Infinite nesting of project folders
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:02:27 GMT 2024