Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Eclipse 3.x vrs. Eclipse 4.x
Eclipse 3.x vrs. Eclipse 4.x [message #809927] Wed, 29 February 2012 12:55 Go to next message
ModelGeek Mising name is currently offline ModelGeek Mising name
Messages: 501
Registered: June 2011
Senior Member
Hi,

I am going to develop a desktop application and i want to use RCP. I would like to know which plateform should i use 3x or 4x?

I am just beginner in RCP.

cheers,
Re: Eclipse 3.x vrs. Eclipse 4.x [message #855501 is a reply to message #809927] Tue, 24 April 2012 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon Scholz is currently offline Simon Scholz
Messages: 73
Registered: April 2012
Location: Germany
Member
Hi,

if you start an new project I would say go for Eclipse 4.x...

It is new and has many improvements for the developer with many assistance for loose coupling in your projects.
My major reason for E4 is that they got rid of those singletons and offer a powerful dependency injection framework with the use of annotations.

For more information see this : download.eclipse.org/e4/sdk/drops/R-4.0-201007271520/eclipse-news.html or many other resources about Eclipse 4.x in the web.

Best regards,

Simon
Re: Eclipse 3.x vrs. Eclipse 4.x [message #856134 is a reply to message #855501] Wed, 25 April 2012 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul Webster
Messages: 6859
Registered: July 2009
Location: Ottawa
Senior Member

I'll just mention that while Eclipse4 is a good model for RCP apps going forward, in 4.2 you won't yet be able to access many of the Workbench services (extensible preferences pages, import/export wizards, etc) in Eclipse 4. For those, you would still have to write a 3.x style plugin.

In 4.3, more of the Workbench services will be decoupled, and can be used in Eclipse4 applications.

PW


Re: Eclipse 3.x vrs. Eclipse 4.x [message #871143 is a reply to message #856134] Fri, 11 May 2012 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Libor Jelinek is currently offline Libor Jelinek
Messages: 143
Registered: January 2012
Location: Prague, Czech Rep.
Senior Member

I am also still too new to Eclipse world but AFAIK E4 is not finished
yet or is?

I've been also asking myself the same question a few months ago but E4
is not "production-ready" yet and there's no textbooks on it so far.

If I am wrong, correct me please.

Have a nice day!
Libor

On 04/25/2012 01:55 PM, Paul Webster wrote:
> I'll just mention that while Eclipse4 is a good model for RCP apps going
> forward, in 4.2 you won't yet be able to access many of the Workbench
> services (extensible preferences pages, import/export wizards, etc) in
> Eclipse 4. For those, you would still have to write a 3.x style plugin.
>
> In 4.3, more of the Workbench services will be decoupled, and can be
> used in Eclipse4 applications.
>
> PW
>
Re: Eclipse 3.x vrs. Eclipse 4.x [message #871152 is a reply to message #871143] Fri, 11 May 2012 07:22 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed Merks
Messages: 26047
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Libor,

Comments below

On 11/05/2012 9:03 AM, Libor Jelinek wrote:
> I am also still too new to Eclipse world but AFAIK E4 is not finished
> yet or is?
There's already a 4.1 release and will soon be a 4.x release. In any
case, 4.x provides all the same APIs provided by 3.x via its
compatibility layer
>
> I've been also asking myself the same question a few months ago but E4
> is not "production-ready" yet and there's no textbooks on it so far.
The Juno release train is based on the 4.2 base, so it better be
production ready. I don't think there are text books, yet.
>
> If I am wrong, correct me please.
>
> Have a nice day!
> Libor
>
> On 04/25/2012 01:55 PM, Paul Webster wrote:
>> I'll just mention that while Eclipse4 is a good model for RCP apps going
>> forward, in 4.2 you won't yet be able to access many of the Workbench
>> services (extensible preferences pages, import/export wizards, etc) in
>> Eclipse 4. For those, you would still have to write a 3.x style plugin.
>>
>> In 4.3, more of the Workbench services will be decoupled, and can be
>> used in Eclipse4 applications.
>>
>> PW
>>
>
Previous Topic:RCP Java Web Start not starting up
Next Topic:Product Export Wizard based on Features
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Sep 16 19:45:53 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.09279 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software