Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Orion (Archived) » Problem Loading Workspaces(Problems encountered while loading a workspace when running Orion from Eclipse)
icon5.gif  Problem Loading Workspaces [message #777599] Tue, 10 January 2012 19:48 Go to next message
Joe Clark is currently offline Joe ClarkFriend
Hi,

I've been having real trouble launching Orion 0.4M1 from Eclipse (versions 3.5 and 3.7). I suspect that asking here is a bit of a long-shot, but I'm wondering if anyone else recognises the problem. I'm working in Windows XP, and it's worth noting in advance that Orion runs standalone from orion.exe.

I've set Orion 0.4 as the target platform from Eclipse and launched (without importing any source projects into my workspace). I'm basically trying to launch vanilla Orion 0.4 from Eclipse. Orion runs OK to start: I can access the home page, log in, log out and browse the plugin registry. But when I try to browse my workspace, the Orion runtime freezes up. An undefined error is reported in the file navigation window, and Orion ceases to respond to any more HTTP requests. No exceptions are reported in my Eclipse console, and nothing appears in the workspace log.

The problem occurs on various Eclipse installations with various workspaces on my XP machine. I've managed to run Orion from Eclipse in this way without any problems on my Windows 7 machine at home. I'll also throw in that I've had Orion 0.2 running from Eclipse without any problems. My experience with Orion so far is that getting this baby to run really shouldn't be this difficult.

Digging a little deeper, it looks like everything is fine until I run a GET on localhost/workspace/A (where A is my admin user account). Issuing a get to this URL from Firefox's Poster extension locks the server and eventually times out. It seems that Orion's get handler refuses to answer my calls.

Equal parts curious and frustrated, I dug deeper. I built the org.eclipse.orion.servlets project, deployed through Eclipse, and put a breakpoint on the Workspace file handlers. Sure enough, the GET request is received and filters through a bunch of calls - and magically vanishes. The call stack goes off into low-level source and doesn't come back. None of my later breakpoints get called. I dug deeper still: it looks like there's a problem in the org.eclipse.core.filesystem package, which bubbles out while trying to get the FileInfo data for a given resource. It tries to load the class "localfile_1_0_0" from UnixFileNatives, and the Classloader vanishes into a black hole: neither returning a Class nor throwing an exception.

There's clearly something wrong with my environment, but it's not obvious to me what. It looks like there's simply a missing dependency when running from Orion, but I'm running the same bundles as I'm running from my Windows 7 machine, which works fine. There is a localfile_1_0_0 class on the target platform, but it looks like a C class which is loaded through JNI - something I have no experience of, so I may be missing something obvious there.

Does anyone recognise the problem? Can anyone shed any light on where a solution might be found? I've reached a dead-end here, and I rather suspect I can't see the wood for the trees...

Apologies for the long post, and thanks to anyone who read to the end. It's been emotional.

-Joe
Re: Problem Loading Workspaces [message #777624 is a reply to message #777599] Tue, 10 January 2012 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Walker is currently offline Ken WalkerFriend
Very weird coincidence, I just debugged the same exact thing with John A yesterday. I also have an XP machine I was setting up local hosting on and had the same problem.

So we're looking into it, seems to be an XP issue only. My workaround to get a demo running was to just copy the line from the Eclipse launch and run it in a command shell. It seems to be the executing from Eclipse that is the problem. If you want to log a bug against Orion server then we can track it but not sure where the real problem lies.
Re: Problem Loading Workspaces [message #777645 is a reply to message #777624] Tue, 10 January 2012 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for getting back to me, Ken. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one struggling...

I'll try launching from the shell when I get into the office tomorrow (I'm at home now, running on UK time), hopefully that'll give me a workaround.

If it's useful, I can post more detail about my debugging experience.
Re: Problem Loading Workspaces [message #778037 is a reply to message #777624] Wed, 11 January 2012 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken,

Thanks again for this. I've done what you suggested: just to confirm, Orion runs absolutely fine when I run from the command line directly. There's definitely something fishy about launching Orion through Eclipse 3.5/3.7 on Windows XP.

Incidentally, the Orion 0.4 Integration build from 9th January runs perfectly well from Eclipse - it looks like it's just the 0.4M1 build which is problematic. I reckon it's got something to do with the org.eclipse.core.filesystem.win32.x86 plugin not being linked into the build properly.

Cheers,

-Joe
Re: Problem Loading Workspaces [message #779908 is a reply to message #777599] Mon, 16 January 2012 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi folks, just logging in with an update. I'm afraid it's not good news for me...

While I've managed to get Orion (0.3 and 0.4) up and running from Eclipse (3.5), I've been persistently struggling with errors. I've been having a hard time understanding what the problem has been, so I didn't want to log a bug. I just want to sound it out and see if my experience is familiar to anyone else.

Orion basically runs fine for a while, but after a couple of hours of work something seems to get stuck. It looks like the plug-in registry freezes and all my plug-ins stop working: I lose authorisation control, web editing, git access - everything. The best I get is a couple of static web pages. Sometimes I don't even get that much: when I try to access an Orion page, the browser just sits, waiting for a response from the server. There's no HTTP error, and nothing logged in the console.

The unresponsive server problem is rarer, and occurs across all browsers (I haven't yet tried to load a static, non-Orion HTML page under these conditions). The frozen plug-in registry seems to be locked into a certain client: Firefox 9 might stop loading correctly, but Chrome 16 will work fine. Othertimes the problem occurs the other way around, and Chrome will respond when Firefox won't.

These problems are temporary, but uncontrollable. After an hour or two of unresponsiveness, the server responds properly again - plug-ins load and HTTP requests are properly dealt with. I've yet to identify a specific case for what causes the problem, or what fixes it. Changing the target platform (between Orion 0.3 and the 0.4 integration builds), clearing caches, or even restarting the machine fails to rectify the situation. This problem never arises on Orion 0.2, strongly hinting at a problem that's formed during 0.3's development.

The only clue I have as to where the problem might be is that, like my previous problem, it's got something to do with Eclipse. These problems only arise after a long period of editing my Orion plug-in from Eclipse and restarting the server several times. I ran Orion 0.4M1 from Eclipse 3.5 this afternoon for about four hours : during that time, I started development on an Orion plug-in from inside Orion (ie, all my development has been inside the browser). There was no Eclipse development, no change in the Orion runtime files, and only a couple of server restarts. I encountered no problems during this time. I suspect the problem is caused, at least in part, by modifying Orion's client runtime from within Eclipse.

Apologies if this is vague. I seem to be hitting problem after problem while hacking (sorry, surgically enhancing) on the 0.3 and 0.4 builds, while 0.2 remains quite stable.

I'm using Windows XP from work, I'm going to experiment from my Windows 7 machine at home, see if I encounter similar difficulties. Otherwise, I'll have to revert back to 0.2 and test subsequent milestone releases and see if the problem sorts itself out.

Thanks in advance for any input,

-Joe
Re: Problem Loading Workspaces [message #780251 is a reply to message #779908] Tue, 17 January 2012 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, final update from me (promise!)

It looks like the problem is session related. That's implied by the fact that one browser will work when the other won't, of course. So I've been very carefully tracking local storage, cookies and sessions all day to try and figure out a work-around to the problem.

It looks like if I flush my cookies and local storage (it seems I have to call localStorage.clear() a few times, I dont understand why), I can log out of my session on the client and log back in. Then I can work as normal until the plug-in registry dies again. But I can now recover from this point, so I can get back on a development track.

Cheers,

-Joe
Re: Problem Loading Workspaces [message #780404 is a reply to message #780251] Tue, 17 January 2012 18:22 Go to previous message
John Arthorne is currently offline John ArthorneFriend
Hi Joe, thanks for all the investigation and updates. I think the best bet at this point is to enter a bugzilla and we can go from there:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Orion&component=Server

Some useful details for the bug report:

- The server OS and JVM vendor/version
- Browser versions
- Server log file (serverworkspace/.metadata/.log).

Those of us developing the Orion server are certainly using Eclipse and presumably launching Orion in the same way as you. One person on our team (Ken) has seen your problem on Windows XP only, so that might be an important clue. I'm on Windows 7 developing with the latest Eclipse 4.2 milestone, and I typically leave my launched Orion server running all day, unless I have made major changes in Java code in which case I usually restart the server.
Previous Topic:project validation in Orion
Next Topic:Bind to a specific IP address
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:43:10 GMT 2024