Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Special Characters not displayed in text editor(How to get special characters to show in the text editor.)
Special Characters not displayed in text editor [message #766360] Thu, 15 December 2011 16:15 Go to next message
Jason Epperson is currently offline Jason EppersonFriend
IBM Rational® Application Developer for WebSphere® Software
Version: 8.0.4
Build ID: RADO804-I20111108_1151
(Not sure which version of Eclipse this is based on.)

MACHINE OS: Windows Vista

PROBLEM: I am trying to edit an HTML file which features special characters (eg: § - section, - long dash, smart quotes, etc).

When I open the file to edit, all of the special characters appears as boxes. (ie: �).

Why is Eclipse failing to render the special characters properly within the text editor?

I can manually enter the character via ALT code entry (ie: ALT+0167 will display §). So the text editor has the ability to render the symbols in the current display font. It's just failing to do so after the opening of a file.

Any help, suggestions, advice would be much appreciated. It's frustrating to not be able to use a tool because of such a goofy problem.
Re: Special Characters not displayed in text editor [message #766990 is a reply to message #766360] Fri, 16 December 2011 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak AzadFriend
Looks like the encoding of the file is wrong. You can set the correct
encoding via the Properties dialog.

Deepak Azad
Re: Special Characters not displayed in text editor [message #766991 is a reply to message #766360] Fri, 16 December 2011 20:02 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend
In general you should ask IBM Rational Support about the product you've bought.

It's likely either a case where the font doesn't support the specific symbols that aren't being shown, or that the encoding that's specified in the meta tag doesn't map those characters as you expect.

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse WTP, IBM
Previous Topic:Advanced (Unorthodox?) Formatting in Eclipse
Next Topic:Object Oriented Programming
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 04 03:23:10 GMT 2015