Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » How can I preserve the sequence of open Views when one is closed and re-opened?
How can I preserve the sequence of open Views when one is closed and re-opened? [message #757425] Fri, 18 November 2011 12:09 Go to next message
John Ormerod is currently offline John OrmerodFriend
Hello
The RCP app I am working with, progamatically closes and re-opens the same view part, as the part of the user's workflow sequence. (Maybe this can be changed, but not right now).
When multiple views are open, this has the effect of putting the newly opened view on the right of the open views.

Some users have said that they find this change of position in the views disconcerting, and have asked if we could keep the view in its current position at the transition points in the workflow.

Q1. Is it possible to programatically change the sequence of views?

If not, then the rest of the questions, are not relevant.
If it is possible:

Q2. What classes and methods can I use?

Q3. How can I find the actual sequence as seen by the user?
I am experimenting with a listener that Implements IPartListener2, and for some of the partXXX methods, I display a list of the open views using activePage.getViewReferences(). The sequence returned matches the visible sequence at first, but as views are opened/closed either manually or by program code, then the internal sequence diverges from the external one.

Regards, John

Re: How can I preserve the sequence of open Views when one is closed and re-opened? [message #757433 is a reply to message #757425] Fri, 18 November 2011 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

Are they distinct views that are just opened and closed? In that case, you can add them as part placeholders so they are opened and closed in one place.

Or do you mean multi-instance view?

PW

Re: How can I preserve the sequence of open Views when one is closed and re-opened? [message #757448 is a reply to message #757433] Fri, 18 November 2011 13:30 Go to previous message
John Ormerod is currently offline John OrmerodFriend
Paul
Thanks for the quick response. Some views are fixed, but the ones that undergo close/open, as the workflow moves, are multiple-instance. The secondary part of the name being created using a hash algorithm just prior to open.

I should add that there is only one perspective used.

John

[Updated on: Fri, 18 November 2011 14:02]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Refreshing Editor
Next Topic:Single application window
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:58:05 GMT 2024