Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Buckminster doesn't seem to handle SSH keys with passphrases
Buckminster doesn't seem to handle SSH keys with passphrases [message #730562] Wed, 28 September 2011 15:56 Go to next message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
I'm using Buckminster to check out from a remote Git repository. Access is managed by gitolite, which means it uses my SSH keypair to authorise access.

I start off with a fresh workspace. If I have a passphrase (note: this is different from a password) on my SSH private key, then materialisation fails with:

Cloning remote repository ssh://dascgitolite@dasc-git-dev.<removed>/training/bmn54829/workflow.master.git into /scratch/training_ide_git/training/bmn54829/workflow.master.git
ERROR [0001] : org.eclipse.jgit.api.errors.JGitInternalException: Exception caught during execution of fetch command
Errors and Warnings
E [0001] : org.eclipse.jgit.api.errors.JGitInternalException: Exception caught during execution of fetch command: Exception caught during execution of fetch command
TAG-ID 0001 = Query for workflow.master.feature:eclipse.feature

Note that there is no prompt for my passphrase.

If I then remove the passphrase from my private key, and restart Eclipse, then my CQuery materialises just fine. So the problem is the presence of the passphrase.

Certainly EGit knows about key passphrases, because if I check out the remote Git repository from within Eclipse, but not using Buckminster, then I am promtped for my passphrase, after which the clone works fine.

Is there something that I need to do so that Buckminster asks for a passphrase when required, or should I raise a bugzilla? Has anyone been able to use Buckminster to check out from a resource using a SSH keypair with a passphrase? Surely this is a fairly comon scenario.

Note that I'm not talking about getting Eclipse to accept passphrases that have previously been supplied via ssh-agent and ssh-add - that's a separate problem. At this point, I'd be happy to just have Buckminster prompt me for passphrase when required.

This is using the latest everything, so Eclipse 3.7.1 and the latest Buckminster.

Matthew

Re: Buckminster doesn't seem to handle SSH keys with passphrases [message #730956 is a reply to message #730562] Thu, 29 September 2011 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We managed to find a work-around, and a clue to the underlying problem, which I'll document here for the future.

As indicated, we are using Buckminster to clone a remote Git repository which requires an SSH keypair for authentication.

Originally, we found that if the private key file had a passphrase, the Buckminster materialize would fail. We have now discovered that if the "Git Repositories" view is open, the Buckminster materialize prompts for the passphrase and works fine. In fact, if you open the ""Git Repositories" view and then close it, the Buckminster materialize still prompts for the passphrase and works fine.

I guess that there is some initialization that EGit does, which doesn't happen until the view is opened. I'm not sure of this should be logged as a Buckminster error or an EGit error!

Matthew
Re: Buckminster doesn't seem to handle SSH keys with passphrases [message #730978 is a reply to message #730956] Thu, 29 September 2011 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
On 9/29/11 5:38 PM, Matthew Webber wrote:
> I guess that there is some initialization that EGit does, which doesn't
> happen until the view is opened. I'm not sure of this should be logged
> as a Buckminster error or an EGit error!
>
Start by logging it as a Buckminster issue - if this is Egit's
responsibility we can always transfer the issue.

Regards
- henrik
Re: Buckminster doesn't seem to handle SSH keys with passphrases [message #731189 is a reply to message #730978] Fri, 30 September 2011 08:25 Go to previous message
I have opened bugzilla https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=359530 for this.
Matthew
Previous Topic:Having problems installing Buckminster into Windows 64-bit Eclipse - FIXED
Next Topic:Indigo SR1 (3.7.1) references Buckminster 3.6 update site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:36:59 GMT 2024