Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » [353775] Allowing Java content in Static Web projects
[353775] Allowing Java content in Static Web projects [message #725767] Thu, 15 September 2011 17:54
Carl Anderson is currently offline Carl AndersonFriend
Folks,

In short, we are looking for adopters that rely on the fact that the wst.web facet conflicts with the jst.java facet. We intend to make a behavior change (not an API change, since this is about a facet exclusion... I would treat it as "Protected Non-API Usage"), and as per WTP_API_Policy, we are making a public disclosure of what we intend to do. If any adopters have an opinion on this, can they please comment on bug 353775 ? I also want to clarify that this is *NOT* making the wst.web facet (Static Web projects) have the same functionality as the jst.web facet (Dynamic Web projects). Here is what I wrote in comment #18:

We are not making the Static Web facet anywhere near the same as the Dynamic Web Facet. You still need a Dynamic Web project for: JSPs, Servlets, a classpath container that includes the contents of WEB-INF/lib, a WEB-INF/web.xml, packaging as a WAR, etc.

We are allowing for Static Web projects to have Applets and other Java classes in them (rather than having a Java project map to the Static Web project, ending up with a .jar inside of it). For devices such as mobile phones (which can have html, css, JavaScript, and Java classes), this is a necessity- you can't have the classes in a jar. When I first developed a web site in 1995, it consisted of an index.html that had a Java applet in it (not in a jar) that would redirect you to other html files according to what was displayed at the time. Sadly, I cannot create that same Static Web project in older versions of WTP, since I cannot create a Java Applet in my Static Web project.

Also, to satisfy the prerequisites of the WTP API Policy, there is no deprecation possible, no migration path - this is the removal of the constraints on the jst.java facet that forbids it to be used with the wst.web facet. It is an all-or-nothing change. And we have one adopter that is requiring it.
Previous Topic:WTP [JSF2] webapp + Ajax features - plugin/suggestions?
Next Topic:You may have mapped two namespaces with elements of the same name to the same package name
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:39:18 GMT 2024