Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » MoDisco » installing plugins always fails(what is the secret to installing eclipse plugins on a PC?)
installing plugins always fails [message #723882] Fri, 09 September 2011 18:53 Go to next message
mariealm Mising name is currently offline mariealm Mising nameFriend
Ok - I am so sick of this I'm about ready to throw the whole shebang out the window! What is the secret to installing eclipse plugins on a PC?

I follow directions and every single xxx time I get a failure message. I've read all kinds of so-called documentation and they all pretty much say the same thing. However, it doesn't work for me and I need to figure out why.

I run Helios on a PC and do regular updates from the Help > Check for Updates.
It is not a privileges problem bz I'm admin.
The goal is to generate diagrams from Java source code - reverse engineering.

Currently I've tried UML2Tools, Papyrus, doUML, Jupe, jUML, and most recently MoDisco. I'm not allowed to spend any money at all so it has to be a free version. (Don't get me started on that tack.)

I download a zip or jar that says it is an Eclipse plugin and that has some kind of positive recommendation on it (indicating it is usable to at least some degree). I put it in a local directory on my hard drive then in the Install > Available Software window, click Add, navigate to the zip file, select it, click Ok, then the message is "can't find file ...".

Just tried to install MoDisco with update (http download eclipse org modeling/mdt modisco updates release ) and that fail message was that it required an ant 1.8.2 bundle. So, I found and downloaded it and tried to get it into Eclipse but that also said it failed but when I tried again, it gave a different fail message.

Missing requirement: MoDisco Method Calls Model Filter UI Plug-in (Incubation) 0.9.0.v201106080847 (org eclipse modisco usecase modelfilter methodcalls discoverer ui 0.9.0.v201106080847) requires 'bundle org eclipse ui ide 3.7.0' but it could not be found

So, I deselected the Model Filter and got several other fail messages.

So - what gives??? What am I missing and why are full instructions not given.

You know how they tried to hammer into our heads that documentation is key and many of us wrinkled our nose. Well - they were right and we should do a far better job of documenting completely.

Thanks to anyone who can give help in this situation.

Re: installing plugins always fails [message #724363 is a reply to message #723882] Mon, 12 September 2011 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicolas Bros is currently offline Nicolas BrosFriend
Quote:
I run Helios on a PC

It looks like you are trying to install MoDisco 0.9 on Eclipse Helios. It won't work since MoDisco 0.9 depends on Eclipse Indigo (note that this is written at the top of this page: http://www.eclipse.org/MoDisco/downloads/). Either use MoDisco 0.8 on Helios, or switch to the more recent Eclipse Indigo to use MoDisco 0.9.

Also, I think you are experiencing installation issues because you are trying to install manually downloaded plug-ins. The Eclipse installation system (p2) cannot find all dependencies when you do it this way, leading to the error messages you see. Instead, you should install using either online update sites, or update site zips.

A lot of plug-ins (corresponding to 62 major projects for Indigo) are already present in the Eclipse simultaneous release (MoDisco for example is in there). The Eclipse simultaneous release update site is already present in your Eclipse installation. So, you can install them by going to "Help > Install New Software..." and selecting the simultaneous release's update site: for example, "http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo" for Indigo. Everything you select from this update site should install without issues, since this was validated by the Eclipse release engineering process.

If you are still experiencing installation errors, please tell me what set of plug-ins you are trying to install for me to help you further.
Re: installing plugins always fails [message #724485 is a reply to message #724363] Mon, 12 September 2011 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gregoire Dupe is currently offline Gregoire DupeFriend
Hello,

I assume that you already read the MoDisco installation guide: http://wiki.eclipse.org/MoDisco/Installation. Today, I tried to improve this page. Please, can you tell what is missing in this page to help you to understand how to install MoDisco ?

Regards,
Gregoire Dupe

[Updated on: Mon, 12 September 2011 13:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: installing plugins always fails [message #724692 is a reply to message #724363] Mon, 12 September 2011 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your replies, Nicolas and Gregoire. Updating to Indigo isn't an option for us at this point but I'm sure we will later. Until we hear otherwise, we will be staying with Helios.

re manual install of plugins: Yes, that is what I see - can't find all the dependencies. I wonder if this is due to a lack in Eclipse (planned or no planned) or if it is usually on the plugin side. I would prefer to use the update site or update zip but cannot always do so. For MoDisco, it didn't work for me last week but today it seemed to install fine. Some magic happened over the weekend, apparently. The only thing I did differently today is that in the list of items returned for download.eclipse.org/releases/helios, I selected only the MoDisco items (before I selected all). It installed and didn't give me any complaints.

Usually, I search for a plugin I want. When found and it has a Download button, I download then try to install. Sounds very straight forward and I expected this strategy to work without hitches.

Gregoire, thanks for modifying the install wiki. Yes, I had read it. One of the things that was confusing is the image of the partial toolbar. It had a picture of a little planet circled. My toolbar doesn't have that button. I've only been using Eclipse for a few months now. (For a couple of decades, have been writing code with vi or a simple text editor but am trying to get used to using an IDE.) So, the problem for me is that I don't know if I don't have something turned on in my Helios, if something is wrong with my Helios (that I've goofed up with my fiddling around), or if it is a new thing with Indigo.

I can't tell exactly what is different today on the wiki from the point where my frustration hit the wall but today it sound nice and clear. Still I would like to suggest that on the images, if you could indicate with an annotation on the image itself that the image belongs to Helios or Indigo (when the two are different), that would be helpful.

Maybe a headliner in red saying that these instructions are mainly for Indigo and that the windows and labels may be slightly different for other versions of Eclipse.

Also, in the second paragraph "Using Eclipse Release Update Site (Recommended)" on the first line it talks about "Install Manager". I don't have anything in Helios (that I see) labeled that. I'm guessing you mean the popup window I get upon selection of Help > Install Software.

The last line in that paragraph says 'Then, you can select "Modeling" category and "MoDisco SDK" feature. ' - I don't know what you mean by "category" relative to the GUI. I don't see "Modeling" anywhere in the Menu or toolbar systems. When I look at Window > Show View > Other, I do see MoDisco but it lists 5 things, none of which sound like they are the name of an Application. I figure that my next step will be finding the documentation for using MoDisco.

All I want is to see nice class diagrams of my Java code.

Thanks alot for your replies and your work.

Marie.
Re: installing plugins always fails [message #724796 is a reply to message #724692] Tue, 13 September 2011 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
For MoDisco, it didn't work for me last week but today it seemed to install fine. Some magic happened over the weekend, apparently.

Yes, I have experienced these kinds of issues too. The installation system (p2) sometimes fails for no apparent reason, and then works again without anything apparently changing. p2 had many bugs when it was first released a few years ago, but it has been getting better and better over time.

Quote:
One of the things that was confusing is the image of the partial toolbar. It had a picture of a little planet circled. My toolbar doesn't have that button.

This button appears in the "Modeling" package (EPP). An Eclipse package is an Eclipse platform in which a set of plug-ins are already installed. The modeling package contains a feature (the "circled planet" button) that allows you to easily install other modeling tools. If it is not present, you can install it yourself : it is in "Modeling > Eclipse Modeling Discovery UI" in the Helios update site.

Quote:
on the first line it talks about "Install Manager". I don't have anything in Helios (that I see) labeled that. I'm guessing you mean the popup window I get upon selection of Help > Install Software.

Yes, the install manager is accessed through "Help > Install New Software" on Windows and Linux (and the application menu on Mac).

Quote:
Then, you can select "Modeling" category and "MoDisco SDK" feature. ' - I don't know what you mean by "category" relative to the GUI.

Installable features are grouped by categories in the installation dialog : you should see two levels in the tree (if you check "Group items by category" at the bottom of the installation wizard). At the first level you have the categories and at the second level (the children) you have the features. The features themselves contain one or more plug-ins that are installed together.

I suggest you read the documentation:
http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tasks/tasks-129.htm

Quote:
All I want is to see nice class diagrams of my Java code.

MoDisco is a good first step towards that goal. But MoDisco will only produce models, and not diagrams. You will then need a UML modeler (such as Papyrus which is also an Eclipse project) to be able to visualize your models on diagrams.
Re: installing plugins always fails [message #724910 is a reply to message #724796] Tue, 13 September 2011 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
I download a zip or jar that says it is an Eclipse plugin and that has some kind of positive recommendation on it (indicating it is usable to at least some degree). I put it in a local directory on my hard drive then in the Install > Available Software window, click Add, navigate to the zip file, select it, click Ok, then the message is "can't find file ...".

I believe the message you are getting means that the zip you are trying to add as an update site is simply not an update site.
You should look inside the zip to see if it contains another zip or folder that corresponds to the structure of an update site.
Usually, a standard (p2) update site should be recognizable by these files and folders at its root:
features/
plugins/
artifacts.jar
content.jar

Re: installing plugins always fails [message #724970 is a reply to message #724910] Tue, 13 September 2011 15:54 Go to previous message
Hi Nicolas -

Thanks for all the great info. I appreciate your time. I understand and will look into all of these things you mention.

I do recognize that directory structure. I see it all the time when I unzip. It's when I point at that directory that I get the "can't find ..." message.

Now I see what you mean by Category. I have the circled planet now as well as the MoDisco button.

You are great. Thanks so much.
Onward ...

Marie.
Previous Topic:UML2Tools
Next Topic:New MoDisco presentation and demo available online
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:55:57 GMT 2024