Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » 3.7 / 3.6 updatesites access error(Can not start update process)
3.7 / 3.6 updatesites access error [message #715140] Fri, 12 August 2011 14:02 Go to next message
D.C. K. is currently offline D.C. K.Friend
Hi,

today we installed Indigo / Helios Classic on Win-XP SP3. Both Ide's could be started and are running well. If we try the Help -> Check for Update, then an error occured:

-Some sites could not be found. See the error log for more detail.
Error while reading from repository: download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.7/site.xml.
Error while reading from repository: download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo/site.xml.

The Preferences -> network access is DIRECT, we are not behind a proxy!

In Galileo, we are using until now, the update-function is working well.

Any ideas, experiences, hints ??

Help is very appricated!

Regrads D.K.

Re: 3.7 / 3.6 updatesites access error [message #715719 is a reply to message #715140] Mon, 15 August 2011 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
On 12.08.2011 16:02, D.C. K. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today we installed Indigo / Helios Classic on Win-XP SP3. Both Ide's could be started and are running well. If we try the Help -> Check for Update, then an error occured:
>
> -Some sites could not be found. See the error log for more detail.
> Error while reading from repository: download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.7/site.xml.
> Error while reading from repository: download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo/site.xml.
>
> The Preferences -> network access is DIRECT, we are not behind a proxy!
>
> In Galileo, we are using until now, the update-function is working well.
>
> Any ideas, experiences, hints ??
What JRE are you using?

Dani
>
> Help is very appricated!
>
> Regrads D.K.
>
>
Re: 3.7 / 3.6 updatesites access error [message #717469 is a reply to message #715719] Sat, 20 August 2011 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jstec is currently offline jstecFriend
I was having a very similar issue. When I run with my Firewall (McAfee) on, I get errors (although not the same as D.K. posted). What I see is the update appear to hang, then after a long time I would get connection time-out errors. If I run with the firewall off, everything runs normally, so clearly it was a firewall issue.

So I looked in the firewall logs, and I saw several inbound events from download.eclipse.org on varying high numbered (5 digit) ports. Presumably, these are being blocked by the firewall as being "unsolicited", and that's why the "hang until time-out" behavior was exhibited. Since the ports are varying (they appear to increment with successive requests), there is not a specific port to open to allow the traffic through (and opening *all* ports would seem to negate the purpose of a firewall). Since I did not see a way to tell McAfee to "trust" unsolicited requests from a specific domain, I couldn't make this work.

Next, I looked at my environment and the JRE was from a Sun/Oracle install I just did, and was jre7 (from the jdk1.7.0 install). This install also includes jre6, so I tried switching to that version by adding a -vm setting in my eclipse.ini file, and the download worked!

Apparently, jre7 uses a different scheme to coordinate traffic with the download site, as I did not see the same incoming port traffic as I did when trying to update using jre7. While I was working through this, I also opened a case with McAfee, and they have escalated it to Tier 2 support. I would still like to know how to allow unsolicited incoming requests from arbitrary ports from a trusted domain (or maybe that's just too much to ask?).

Hope this helps!
Re: 3.7 / 3.6 updatesites access error [message #719450 is a reply to message #717469] Sat, 27 August 2011 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
D.C. K. is currently offline D.C. K.Friend
Thx for answer.

What JRE are you using?

We are using Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing).

Regarding Firewalls:

There is no SW-Firewall in place, the XP-FW has been switched off as well.
Also the HW-FW has been deactivated.

The problem is furthermore present!

Any further ideas???
Re: 3.7 / 3.6 updatesites access error [message #955018 is a reply to message #715140] Tue, 23 October 2012 12:42 Go to previous message
michael gurion is currently offline michael gurionFriend
you have to delete jar file in log4J in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext, and it will work.

Michael

Sincerely
Previous Topic:Opening/viewing File
Next Topic:Pointing Eclipse to Correct Thing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 01:55:59 GMT 2024