Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » How to implement support for a custom toolkit?(Getting started in how to hack support for a new UI toolkit into WindowBuilder)
How to implement support for a custom toolkit? [message #713666] Mon, 08 August 2011 18:54 Go to next message
Fernando Colombo is currently offline Fernando ColomboFriend
Hi. I'm a Java developer and I've already implemented some Eclipse plugins. I'm new to WindowBuilder, and I'm really interested in building support for a custom UI toolkit. How do I get started on this? Specifically:

1. Which documents or sources should I read first?
2. Is there some example source code? Can I learn from SWT and Swing designers?
3. Do I have to change WindowBuilder or can I add a new plugin that integrates with WindowBuilder?

Thanks in advance!
Fernando
Re: How to implement support for a custom toolkit? [message #713669 is a reply to message #713666] Mon, 08 August 2011 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Scheglov is currently offline Konstantin ScheglovFriend
2. Yes, code of Swing design should be most useful, as more consistent (always beans, no separate hierarchies for widgets and viewers, no separation on SWT and RCP). Just copy ParseFactory, ComponentInfo, ComponentEditPart, EditPartFactory, implement rendering in ComponentInfo and you are almost done with basics. Then add more models and special editing for specific UI widgets.

3. You should be able to add support for new UI toolkit without changing WindowBuilder core, just by contributing to the corresponding extension points.

Konstantin Scheglov,
Google, Inc.
Re: How to implement support for a custom toolkit? [message #714959 is a reply to message #713669] Thu, 11 August 2011 22:16 Go to previous message
Abhishek Rakshit is currently offline Abhishek RakshitFriend
Hey Fernando,

We have been building a site to collect useful WindowBuilder documentation, links, and resources. Here is a link to a some resources with information about the UI Toolkit.

Feel free to leave followup questions or add your own resources to the site.
Previous Topic:xwt binding
Next Topic:"Cannot complete the install"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:10:22 GMT 2024