Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » How to maintain css theme files (best practice?)
How to maintain css theme files (best practice?) [message #695418] Mon, 11 July 2011 17:25 Go to next message
Nikolai Raitsev is currently offline Nikolai RaitsevFriend
Hello RAP community.

If you try to define your own theme based on css, so you will realize that this task can be complicated: because CSS (and its interpreter in RAP) does not support variables and reuse (I know, its named CASCADING style sheets, not object oriented:).

Fortunately, there are projects such LESS (, Less for Java (LESS for Java) and Ant. With it, it's possible to make more order in your css files and it helps to make it more maintainable: with LESS-variables you can make definitions like colors and fonts only in one place and reuse it on hundreds places in RAP css theme.

/*@textStandardColor: #222222;*/
@textStandardColor: #222222;

/*Background color definitions*/
/*@backgroundStandardColor: #ffffff;*/
@backgroundStandardColor: #ffffff;

List,Tree,Table,Text,Spinner,Combo,DateTime { 
	color: @textStandardColor;
	background-color: @backgroundStandardColor;

will be transformed into:

/*@textStandardColor: #222222;*/

/*Background color definitions*/
/*@backgroundStandardColor: #ffffff;*/

List,Tree,Table,Text,Spinner,Combo,DateTime { 
	color: #222222;
	background-color: #ffffff;

Unfortunately Less Engine has no Ant task, so I created my own. In Attachment you can find an example, how to use it: simply run the build.xml.

Best regards,

Re: How to maintain css theme files (best practice?) [message #886249 is a reply to message #695418] Thu, 14 June 2012 14:43 Go to previous message
Stephan Leicht Vogt is currently offline Stephan Leicht VogtFriend
Hi Nikolai

That was a great idea. I refactored all our css to less which gives me also the possibility to break my huge css into smaller entities and make @import directives.
I had to make a small patch to the newest less.js (1.3) which I'll contribute to less (github). Less had problems with style names with an underscore (i.e. SHADOW_IN).

So long and best regards
Previous Topic:Articles about "Create a WAR from RAP Application with Libra WAR Product"
Next Topic:How to read a external file after deployment?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Nov 29 08:46:55 GMT 2015