Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » is -bundlepool used?(configure separate plugin directories)
is -bundlepool used? [message #694194] Fri, 08 July 2011 04:52
Marco Massenzio is currently offline Marco MassenzioFriend
In my current setup (Indigo, Linux 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10) I install Indigo in

and want to have a separate profile/plugins/etc. for, say, Helios, or even different Eclipse platforms (I do plugin dev so I have the Platform SDK, that I'd like to keep separate from, say, a J2EE install).

My user config should be someplace like

(and similarly .../eclipse36, .../eclipse37_jee etc.)

This _almost_ works, using -configuration, but I seem unable to have p2 download and install new plugins (using Install new software...) in separate directories -- no matter what I tried, they all wind up in

I tried at first by just chown'ing /opt/eclipse-indigo to myself (not what I wanted, but as a trial, so I could read/write to the /opt/eclipse-indigo/plugins/ directory); also tried to use the -install flag and the -bundletool flag; no matter what nothing seems to work.

Manually editing (and moving the plugins accordingly) does work, but it's manual, cumbersome and (I dread) only harbinger of misery and grief later on:
for example manually editing this:,12.0.0.v201106281929-138431,../../home/marco/.eclipse/plugins/,4,false

to this:,12.0.0.v201106281929-138431,../../home/marco/.eclipse/eclipse37/plugins/,4,false

[note the extra /eclipse37]
works just fine, but you can see where it can catastrophically go wrong.

So, here is my question: what would be the best way to make p2 install the plugin bundles in user-configurable directory?

FYI, this is the script I use to launch Eclipse:

# The location of the JVM, currently the default (OpenJDK 6)

# User configuration, install directory and plugins location
# CLEAN=-clean

$INSTALL/eclipse $CLEAN -vm $JVM -configuration $CONFIG \
-bundlepool $CONFIG/plugins
-vmargs -Xmx$MEM_ALLOC_POOL -XX:MaxPermSize=$PERM_SIZE

Previous Topic:[FIXED] How to specify autostart for plugins installed via director
Next Topic:How to provide bundle updates on an update site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 28 02:44:20 GMT 2016