Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Error messages with (X)HTML / JSP
Error messages with (X)HTML / JSP [message #684996] Thu, 16 June 2011 15:30 Go to next message
Michael Jupe is currently offline Michael JupeFriend
Hey there,

(I hope I am in the right forum.)

When using Eclipse (Java EE) to create (X)HTML pages for JSP I get all sorts of problem messages. Here is a simple code of a file called index.html that is part of a dynamic web project (the file itself is located in the WebContent folder):

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns=< ///Link to www.w3.org here, the forum does not accept links at this time///>
<head>
<title>Some title</title>
</head>
<body>
	<form action="Test.jsp" id="form_1" method="post">
		Input 1: <input type="text" name="input_1" /><br />
		Input 2: <input type="text" name="input_2" /><br />
		<input type="submit" name="Send" value="Send" />
	</form>
</body>
</html>

The messages I get are
Invalid location of tag (input).
Invalid location of tag (br).
Invalid text string (Input 1:)
Invalid text string (Input 2:)

I'de be grateful if somebody could herlp me with these confusing messages. In other (HTML) editors I don't get them.

Thanks a lot,
Michael
Re: Error messages with (X)HTML / JSP [message #685026 is a reply to message #684996] Thu, 16 June 2011 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Sandonato is currently offline Nick SandonatoFriend
Hi Michael,

The warnings you see are generated when our validator comes across content that it doesn't expect according to the content model for a tag.

For example, with XHTML 1.1, there shouldn't be any character data as a direct child of <form>. Furthermore, the <input> tag is also an invalid descendant. To conform, the content for <form> must be one of the valid child tags; then, you can put your text and <input> tags in that. If you invoke Content Assist (Ctrl+Space), it will give you the valid child tags.

As a reference, you can use http://validator.w3.org/check which also identifies similar problems with the example markup.
Re: Error messages with (X)HTML / JSP [message #685040 is a reply to message #685026] Thu, 16 June 2011 17:39 Go to previous message
Michael Jupe is currently offline Michael JupeFriend
Hey Nick,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. I thought it had to do with XHTML, but couldn't find the reason. This helps a lot!

Thanks again!
Michael
Previous Topic:Publish Exploded WAR
Next Topic:Unable to create a web service client
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:48:39 GMT 2024