|Newbie questions [message #672020]
||Thu, 19 May 2011 15:30
| Guillaume Polet
Registered: May 2011
I am a newbie on both git and EGit and I am exploring their capabilities in order to move from CVS to Git. My mind is most likely corrupted by a CVS vision and therefore I could like to find a few answers to some questions I have regarding Git/EGit.|
Forgive me for blowing questions like this but hopefully somebody will be able to help on those topics (I have already looked on Google to find some answers but now I feel like I am wasting my time and looping over the same articles constantly).
1) In EGit, is there a console view like there is for CVS? It would gretly help me understanding what is under the hood
2) Is there somewhere, an article describing a "good" way for working collaboratively with Git/Egit? Here is what my intent was (I have setup gitolite on remote server):
* Clone a remote repository
* Checkout the repository in Eclipse
* Work on my projects and commit files regularly (locally)
* Then pull from the remote repository and merge changes
* Eventually, push my repository to the remote one.
Somehow I have the feeling that this is not exactly how Git expects users to work
3) How do we merge conflicts with EGit? I have successfully created a conflicts or two. After trying many actions I ended up with a diff editor and I tried to solve the conflicts. I then tried to perform "Mark as merged" and "Commit" but the conflict remains.
4) More of a general question on Git: this is me probably just being stupid and ignorant, but I have a hard time understanding how Git will simplify my job when I need to merge branches? Ok it will handle file renames better than CVS, no question about that, but besides that are their other benefits?
Many thanks in advance if someone can help me.
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.01644 seconds