Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » How to add functionality to an existing View using a PlugIn(Add a tabFolder Item to an Existing View)
How to add functionality to an existing View using a PlugIn [message #671035] Mon, 16 May 2011 15:30 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I have setup pre-configured View with a CTabFolder. The view id would be ViewTests.ID. I then want to use the idea of PlugIns to add functionality to the existing View by adding a CTabFolder and it data or chart that will be built from a database extraction. I would like to "drop" these various pieces of data analysis into the RCP app by way of PlugIns so that each of the many Views can grow depending on the type of data that each individual client has without rebuilding the app. My newbee problem is I don't see an Extention Point that will let me contribute (in this case - a tab with its functionality to an existing view that contains the parent CTabFolder). Can anyone suggest if this can be done and if so what extention point that I should look at and/or any prototype that might give some hint as to how to proceed.

Just to be clear - I want the PlugIn to contribute significant functionality to an existing View by adding a tab to the views existing CTabFolder.

Thanks
Re: How to add functionality to an existing View using a PlugIn [message #671039 is a reply to message #671035] Mon, 16 May 2011 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

You would be writing your own extension point, and then reading it using org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.getExtensionRegistry(). Then you would have to create the extra CTabItems yourself based on the extensions that you read.

The simplest form of working with the extension registry looks like:

final IExtensionRegistry registry = Platform.getExtensionRegistry();
final IConfigurationElement[] menusExtensionPoint = registry
		.getConfigurationElementsFor(EXTENSION_MENUS);
for (int i = 0; i < menusExtensionPoint.length; i++) {
    // do stuff with the IConfigurationElements
}

PW

Re: How to add functionality to an existing View using a PlugIn [message #671050 is a reply to message #671039] Mon, 16 May 2011 15:50 Go to previous message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Paul,

Thanks for the quick response. Now that I now that its possible I can start move ahead and see if I can implement a variation of what you have provided.

Thanks again.
Previous Topic:toggle state not persisted
Next Topic:How can I detect when the user selects a different perspective?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:21:15 GMT 2024