Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » JDK 7 support in eclipse 3.7 available?
JDK 7 support in eclipse 3.7 available? [message #667702] Sun, 01 May 2011 14:28 Go to next message
Claudio Nieder is currently offline Claudio Nieder
Messages: 15
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

is eclipse 3.7 supposed to support JDK 1.7 or not?

I am confused because I can set in the Project the JDK Compliance level
to 1.7 making me think it is supported, but on the other hand when I
click on the checkbox next to "Use compliance from execution environment
'JavaSE-1.7' on the Java Build Path" it says "The 1.7 compiler
compliance level is not yet supported.

BTW the reason I am asking is that I tried to use a switch with a string
argument and even when compiler compliance is set to 1.7 it is marked as
an error and I wonder if I shall file a bug report or not.

claudio
Re: JDK 7 support in eclipse 3.7 available? [message #667720 is a reply to message #667702] Sun, 01 May 2011 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/1/2011 7:58 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is eclipse 3.7 supposed to support JDK 1.7 or not?

Short answer: No
Long answer: http://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT_Core/Java7

> I am confused because I can set in the Project the JDK Compliance level
> to 1.7 making me think it is supported, but on the other hand when I
> click on the checkbox next to "Use compliance from execution environment
> 'JavaSE-1.7' on the Java Build Path" it says "The 1.7 compiler
> compliance level is not yet supported.

Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
should be disabled in M7 build
( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/index.php)

> BTW the reason I am asking is that I tried to use a switch with a string
> argument and even when compiler compliance is set to 1.7 it is marked as
> an error and I wonder if I shall file a bug report or not.
>
> claudio
(no subject) [message #668838 is a reply to message #667720] Sun, 08 May 2011 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Claudio Nieder is currently offline Claudio Nieder
Messages: 15
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

> Short answer: No

Thank you for clarification.

> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
> should be disabled in M7 build
> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
> x.php)

Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
But instead of looking at

Preferences->Java->Compiler

where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at

Project Properties->Java Compiler

where you can select 1.7.

And also

Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment

lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.

claudio
(no subject) [message #668864 is a reply to message #668838] Mon, 09 May 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/8/2011 9:38 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Short answer: No
>
> Thank you for clarification.
>
>> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
>> should be disabled in M7 build
>> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
>> x.php)
>
> Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
> But instead of looking at
>
> Preferences->Java->Compiler
>
> where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at
>
> Project Properties->Java Compiler
>
> where you can select 1.7.

No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
settings. (I just verified this)

> And also
>
> Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment
>
> lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.
>
> claudio

Yes this is possible. Execution environment is different from compiler
compliance level - you should be able to run your 1.6 code with a 1.7
JDK without any issues.
(no subject) [message #668865 is a reply to message #668838] Mon, 09 May 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/8/2011 9:38 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Short answer: No
>
> Thank you for clarification.
>
>> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
>> should be disabled in M7 build
>> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
>> x.php)
>
> Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
> But instead of looking at
>
> Preferences->Java->Compiler
>
> where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at
>
> Project Properties->Java Compiler
>
> where you can select 1.7.

No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
settings. (I just verified this)

> And also
>
> Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment
>
> lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.
>
> claudio

Yes this is possible. Execution environment is different from compiler
compliance level - you should be able to run your 1.6 code with a 1.7
JDK without any issues.
(no subject) [message #668866 is a reply to message #668838] Mon, 09 May 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/8/2011 9:38 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Short answer: No
>
> Thank you for clarification.
>
>> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
>> should be disabled in M7 build
>> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
>> x.php)
>
> Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
> But instead of looking at
>
> Preferences->Java->Compiler
>
> where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at
>
> Project Properties->Java Compiler
>
> where you can select 1.7.

No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
settings. (I just verified this)

> And also
>
> Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment
>
> lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.
>
> claudio

Yes this is possible. Execution environment is different from compiler
compliance level - you should be able to run your 1.6 code with a 1.7
JDK without any issues.
(no subject) [message #668867 is a reply to message #668838] Mon, 09 May 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/8/2011 9:38 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Short answer: No
>
> Thank you for clarification.
>
>> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
>> should be disabled in M7 build
>> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
>> x.php)
>
> Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
> But instead of looking at
>
> Preferences->Java->Compiler
>
> where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at
>
> Project Properties->Java Compiler
>
> where you can select 1.7.

No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
settings. (I just verified this)

> And also
>
> Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment
>
> lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.
>
> claudio

Yes this is possible. Execution environment is different from compiler
compliance level - you should be able to run your 1.6 code with a 1.7
JDK without any issues.
(no subject) [message #668868 is a reply to message #668838] Mon, 09 May 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/8/2011 9:38 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Short answer: No
>
> Thank you for clarification.
>
>> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
>> should be disabled in M7 build
>> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
>> x.php)
>
> Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
> But instead of looking at
>
> Preferences->Java->Compiler
>
> where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at
>
> Project Properties->Java Compiler
>
> where you can select 1.7.

No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
settings. (I just verified this)

> And also
>
> Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment
>
> lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.
>
> claudio

Yes this is possible. Execution environment is different from compiler
compliance level - you should be able to run your 1.6 code with a 1.7
JDK without any issues.
(no subject) [message #668876 is a reply to message #668838] Mon, 09 May 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/8/2011 9:38 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Short answer: No
>
> Thank you for clarification.
>
>> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
>> should be disabled in M7 build
>> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
>> x.php)
>
> Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
> But instead of looking at
>
> Preferences->Java->Compiler
>
> where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at
>
> Project Properties->Java Compiler
>
> where you can select 1.7.

No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
settings. (I just verified this)

> And also
>
> Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment
>
> lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.
>
> claudio

Yes this is possible. Execution environment is different from compiler
compliance level - you should be able to run your 1.6 code with a 1.7
JDK without any issues.
(no subject) [message #668877 is a reply to message #668838] Mon, 09 May 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/8/2011 9:38 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Short answer: No
>
> Thank you for clarification.
>
>> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
>> should be disabled in M7 build
>> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
>> x.php)
>
> Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
> But instead of looking at
>
> Preferences->Java->Compiler
>
> where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at
>
> Project Properties->Java Compiler
>
> where you can select 1.7.

No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
settings. (I just verified this)

> And also
>
> Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment
>
> lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.
>
> claudio

Yes this is possible. Execution environment is different from compiler
compliance level - you should be able to run your 1.6 code with a 1.7
JDK without any issues.
(no subject) [message #668887 is a reply to message #668838] Mon, 09 May 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/8/2011 9:38 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Short answer: No
>
> Thank you for clarification.
>
>> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
>> should be disabled in M7 build
>> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
>> x.php)
>
> Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
> But instead of looking at
>
> Preferences->Java->Compiler
>
> where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at
>
> Project Properties->Java Compiler
>
> where you can select 1.7.

No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
settings. (I just verified this)

> And also
>
> Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment
>
> lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.
>
> claudio

Yes this is possible. Execution environment is different from compiler
compliance level - you should be able to run your 1.6 code with a 1.7
JDK without any issues.
(no subject) [message #668903 is a reply to message #668838] Mon, 09 May 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/8/2011 9:38 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Short answer: No
>
> Thank you for clarification.
>
>> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
>> should be disabled in M7 build
>> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
>> x.php)
>
> Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
> But instead of looking at
>
> Preferences->Java->Compiler
>
> where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at
>
> Project Properties->Java Compiler
>
> where you can select 1.7.

No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
settings. (I just verified this)

> And also
>
> Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment
>
> lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.
>
> claudio

Yes this is possible. Execution environment is different from compiler
compliance level - you should be able to run your 1.6 code with a 1.7
JDK without any issues.
(no subject) [message #668916 is a reply to message #668838] Mon, 09 May 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/8/2011 9:38 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Short answer: No
>
> Thank you for clarification.
>
>> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
>> should be disabled in M7 build
>> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
>> x.php)
>
> Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
> But instead of looking at
>
> Preferences->Java->Compiler
>
> where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at
>
> Project Properties->Java Compiler
>
> where you can select 1.7.

No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
settings. (I just verified this)

> And also
>
> Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment
>
> lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.
>
> claudio

Yes this is possible. Execution environment is different from compiler
compliance level - you should be able to run your 1.6 code with a 1.7
JDK without any issues.
(no subject) [message #668918 is a reply to message #668838] Mon, 09 May 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak Azad
Messages: 545
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 5/8/2011 9:38 PM, Claudio Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Short answer: No
>
> Thank you for clarification.
>
>> Which build did you use ? Setting compiler compliance level to 1.7
>> should be disabled in M7 build
>> ( http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.7M7- 201104280848/inde
>> x.php)
>
> Ah now I see, it is and it is not. This is the exact build I am using.
> But instead of looking at
>
> Preferences->Java->Compiler
>
> where 1.7 is not listed as choice as you say I looked at
>
> Project Properties->Java Compiler
>
> where you can select 1.7.

No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
settings. (I just verified this)

> And also
>
> Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Execution Environment
>
> lists JavaSE-1.7 as one of its choices.
>
> claudio

Yes this is possible. Execution environment is different from compiler
compliance level - you should be able to run your 1.6 code with a 1.7
JDK without any issues.
(no subject) [message #672964 is a reply to message #668864] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:02 Go to previous message
Claudio Nieder is currently offline Claudio Nieder
Messages: 15
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

> > Project Properties->Java Compiler
> >
> > where you can select 1.7.
>
> No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
> settings. (I just verified this)

I see it now. I still have 1.7 visible because I operate on a project
for which I had set 1.7 in an earlier version of eclipse. When I create
a new project the highest I can set is indeed 1.6.

Also once I change my old project to 1.6 and apply the change, changing
back to 1.7 is not possible anymore. So I saw it only because my project
still was set to 1.7.

Sorry for causing confusion,
claudio
(no subject) [message #672966 is a reply to message #668864] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:02 Go to previous message
Claudio Nieder is currently offline Claudio Nieder
Messages: 15
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

> > Project Properties->Java Compiler
> >
> > where you can select 1.7.
>
> No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
> settings. (I just verified this)

I see it now. I still have 1.7 visible because I operate on a project
for which I had set 1.7 in an earlier version of eclipse. When I create
a new project the highest I can set is indeed 1.6.

Also once I change my old project to 1.6 and apply the change, changing
back to 1.7 is not possible anymore. So I saw it only because my project
still was set to 1.7.

Sorry for causing confusion,
claudio
(no subject) [message #672971 is a reply to message #668864] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:02 Go to previous message
Claudio Nieder is currently offline Claudio Nieder
Messages: 15
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

> > Project Properties->Java Compiler
> >
> > where you can select 1.7.
>
> No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
> settings. (I just verified this)

I see it now. I still have 1.7 visible because I operate on a project
for which I had set 1.7 in an earlier version of eclipse. When I create
a new project the highest I can set is indeed 1.6.

Also once I change my old project to 1.6 and apply the change, changing
back to 1.7 is not possible anymore. So I saw it only because my project
still was set to 1.7.

Sorry for causing confusion,
claudio
(no subject) [message #672992 is a reply to message #668864] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:02 Go to previous message
Claudio Nieder is currently offline Claudio Nieder
Messages: 15
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

> > Project Properties->Java Compiler
> >
> > where you can select 1.7.
>
> No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
> settings. (I just verified this)

I see it now. I still have 1.7 visible because I operate on a project
for which I had set 1.7 in an earlier version of eclipse. When I create
a new project the highest I can set is indeed 1.6.

Also once I change my old project to 1.6 and apply the change, changing
back to 1.7 is not possible anymore. So I saw it only because my project
still was set to 1.7.

Sorry for causing confusion,
claudio
(no subject) [message #673040 is a reply to message #668864] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:02 Go to previous message
Claudio Nieder is currently offline Claudio Nieder
Messages: 15
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

> > Project Properties->Java Compiler
> >
> > where you can select 1.7.
>
> No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
> settings. (I just verified this)

I see it now. I still have 1.7 visible because I operate on a project
for which I had set 1.7 in an earlier version of eclipse. When I create
a new project the highest I can set is indeed 1.6.

Also once I change my old project to 1.6 and apply the change, changing
back to 1.7 is not possible anymore. So I saw it only because my project
still was set to 1.7.

Sorry for causing confusion,
claudio
(no subject) [message #673063 is a reply to message #668864] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:02 Go to previous message
Claudio Nieder is currently offline Claudio Nieder
Messages: 15
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

> > Project Properties->Java Compiler
> >
> > where you can select 1.7.
>
> No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
> settings. (I just verified this)

I see it now. I still have 1.7 visible because I operate on a project
for which I had set 1.7 in an earlier version of eclipse. When I create
a new project the highest I can set is indeed 1.6.

Also once I change my old project to 1.6 and apply the change, changing
back to 1.7 is not possible anymore. So I saw it only because my project
still was set to 1.7.

Sorry for causing confusion,
claudio
(no subject) [message #673140 is a reply to message #668864] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:02 Go to previous message
Claudio Nieder is currently offline Claudio Nieder
Messages: 15
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

> > Project Properties->Java Compiler
> >
> > where you can select 1.7.
>
> No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
> settings. (I just verified this)

I see it now. I still have 1.7 visible because I operate on a project
for which I had set 1.7 in an earlier version of eclipse. When I create
a new project the highest I can set is indeed 1.6.

Also once I change my old project to 1.6 and apply the change, changing
back to 1.7 is not possible anymore. So I saw it only because my project
still was set to 1.7.

Sorry for causing confusion,
claudio
(no subject) [message #673146 is a reply to message #668864] Sun, 22 May 2011 13:02 Go to previous message
Claudio Nieder is currently offline Claudio Nieder
Messages: 15
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

> > Project Properties->Java Compiler
> >
> > where you can select 1.7.
>
> No, you cannot set 1.7 as the compliance level even in project specific
> settings. (I just verified this)

I see it now. I still have 1.7 visible because I operate on a project
for which I had set 1.7 in an earlier version of eclipse. When I create
a new project the highest I can set is indeed 1.6.

Also once I change my old project to 1.6 and apply the change, changing
back to 1.7 is not possible anymore. So I saw it only because my project
still was set to 1.7.

Sorry for causing confusion,
claudio
Previous Topic:jetty 7 continuation help!
Next Topic:Find Class Dialog
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Oct 25 12:09:13 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.17601 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software