Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Eclipse Helios / Remote System Explorer issue(Cannot open files through RSE - "The system cannot find the specified path")
Eclipse Helios / Remote System Explorer issue [message #660551] Sat, 19 March 2011 09:33 Go to next message
Eric is currently offline EricFriend
Hi all,

I have a big problem with the latest Eclipse Helios and Remote System Explorer. RSE seems to crash after trying to open a file on a remote system. The error log says nothing else than the following:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.rse.ui 4 0 2011-03-19 10:06:00.021
!MESSAGE RSEF1002

The error message which pops up is the following:

Message reported from file system: The system cannot find the specified path.

I thought an update would be the solution so I checked for new updates and was prompted to install "Eclipse IDE for PHP Developers 1.3.2.20110301-1807". Unfortunately, the update fails with the following error:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine 4 4 2011-03-19 10:24:16.095
!MESSAGE An error occurred while uninstalling
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine 4 0 2011-03-19 10:24:16.095
!MESSAGE session context was:(profile=epp.package.php, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Uninstall, operand=[R]org.eclipse.cvs_root 1.1.101.R35x_v20100125-7E79FGD9kKF67BPDZ7PKCE1911 --> null, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.actions.CleanupzipAction).
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.touchpoint.natives 4 0 2011-03-19 10:24:16.095
!MESSAGE Backup of file D:\Program Files\eclipse\epl-v10.html failed.
!STACK 0
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Local\Temp\epp.package.php_25d9adbc7420_c0a8b215c63e\D\Program Files\eclipse\epl-v10.html (The system cannot find the specified path)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.BackupStore.backup(BackupStore.java:253)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.LazyBackupStore.backup(LazyBackupStore.java:36)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.actions.CleanupzipAction.cleanupzip(CleanupzipAction.java:85)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.actions.CleanupzipAction.execute(CleanupzipAction.java:30)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.ParameterizedProvisioningAction.execute(ParameterizedProvisioningAction.java:35)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.Phase.mainPerform(Phase.java:149)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.Phase.perform(Phase.java:78)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.PhaseSet.perform(PhaseSet.java:44)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.Engine.perform(Engine.java:73)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.Engine.perform(Engine.java:44)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.p2.operations.ProvisioningSession.performProvisioningPlan(ProvisioningSession.java:174)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.p2.operations.ProfileModificationJob.runModal(ProfileModificationJob.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.p2.operations.ProvisioningJob.run(ProvisioningJob.java:177)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

RSE and Eclipse were working fine some days ago and I didn't change anything on my set-up. Now I can't even open 1 single file as "the specified path cannot be found".

Could it be a Java or Windows update causing these recent errors? I'm using Windows Vista.

I have also tried a completely fresh install of Helios and RSE, added some remote systems and tried to open files. The problem even persists there!

Can anybody please help me? I have already spend 2 days now searching for solutions but this problem doesn't seem to be pretty common.

Please let me know whether any more information is needed.

Thank you so much in advance!

I'm really helpless at the moment.

[Updated on: Sat, 19 March 2011 09:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Helios / Remote System Explorer issue [message #660570 is a reply to message #660551] Sat, 19 March 2011 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I have found a temporary work-around so far: by right-clicking the ressource folder and selecting "Synchronize Cache" before editing any files, I am actually able to do all my work without any problems.

However, is there really no other way for making RSE work?

Thank you in advance!

[Updated on: Sat, 19 March 2011 14:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Helios / Remote System Explorer issue [message #660590 is a reply to message #660551] Sat, 19 March 2011 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update: The "Synchronize Cache" feature also seems to be only working on some remote systems.

Can somebody please help me? It is extremely important to me that I can use Eclipse for my daily programming work again!

Thank you!
Re: Eclipse Helios / Remote System Explorer issue [message #660620 is a reply to message #660590] Sun, 20 March 2011 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toshihiro Izumi is currently offline Toshihiro IzumiFriend
Target Management
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=thread&frm_id= 210

(stackoverflow would help indeed)
btw, I wonder why you don't describe the remote system(Windows,linux,etc.), connection type(ssh,ftp,etc.), remote log if available, ...I cannot answer though. It is not the matter of pdt anyway.
Good luck.
Re: Eclipse Helios / Remote System Explorer issue [message #660621 is a reply to message #660620] Sun, 20 March 2011 01:57 Go to previous message
Dear Toshihiro,

thank you very much for your reply.

Unfortunately, the remote log doesn't say anything meaningful except for the log entries I have already posted.

Or did I miss any additional log files other than the ".log" file directly in my workspace root?

The remote systems all throw out the same error message (RSEF1002) - no matter what connection type (in my case FTP and SSH) and remote system OS (in my case Windows and Linux).

It might be a permission issue on my Vista machine but I'm really stuck because I already tried every location possible (D:\eclipse, C:\eclipse, D:\Program Files\eclipse etc). I still cannot use RSE any more.

BTW, if that's helpful, here is my eclipse.ini file:

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.1.R36x_v20101122_1400.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.2.R36x_v20101222
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-product
org.eclipse.epp.package.php.product
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256M
-vm
C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_24/bin/javaw.exe
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Xms40m
-Xmx384m

Please excuse using the wrong forum. Could a moderator please move it to the correct one then?

PS: Starting up Eclipse with "-clean -vmargs -Dosgi.locking=none" doesn't work either. I'm always provided with the following error:

Locking is not possible in the directory "D:\Program Diles\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi". A common reason is that the file system or Runtime Environment does not support file locking for that location. Please choose a different location, or disable file locking passing "-Dosgi.locking=none" as a VM argument.
Unable to create lock manager.

So maybe there's indeed a permission issue with Vista?

Thank you very much in advance!
Previous Topic:Eclipse freezes
Next Topic:Im new to eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:59:18 GMT 2024