Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » MoDisco » Editing model from a Java application
Editing model from a Java application [message #655757] Tue, 22 February 2011 15:02 Go to next message
Francesca  is currently offline Francesca Friend
Hi, I am new to this modeling techniques EMF, and MoDisco. I am trying to implement a graphical editor in a Java application that allows users to edit a model of a customized visual DSL language. I have defined the meta-model of the DSL language in a ECORE model. However, I don't know how I could show and link the concepts of the model within the interface.
For example, I like to implement an interface with 2 areas: (1) an area with the DSL concepts, and (2) a working area to edit the model by selecting DSL concepts (as an EMF editor but in a Java application).

Is it supported by MoDisco? How could I do this?
Thank you in advance.
Re: Editing model from a Java application [message #655859 is a reply to message #655757] Tue, 22 February 2011 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob is currently offline RobFriend
Hi Francesca

I am not quite sure if I get it right what you wish to do, but maybe the easiest way to implement a graphical editor could be GMF especially as it works on Ecore Metamodels.

The Dashboard of GMF will guide you through the whole process of creating the artefacts you need to finally generate a graphical editor which creates models based on your metamodel.

Basically you will need to define the metamodel, the graphical representations for your objects in the editor and the toolbox. Then you have to combine those artefacts.
Afterwards the Dashbord will guide you to the creation of Editor Code, which can either be a plug in or RCP-Code.

Re: Editing model from a Java application [message #655902 is a reply to message #655859] Wed, 23 February 2011 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francesca  is currently offline Francesca Friend
Thanks for your answer George.
I have implemented a GMF editor but my question is if I could use the generated code/libraries of the GMF editor within my customized interface.
For example, when the GMF editor is running I have a Palette, and a "working area" where I can create intances of the meta-model. Then, could I use this Palette and "working area" within my cusomized interface as the GMF editor does?
Is it possible to use the GMF generated code/libraries within my interface to do this? Thus, I could have a customized editor, and I could run the interface as a Java application rather than an Eclipse application.

Thanks Smile
Re: Editing model from a Java application [message #655908 is a reply to message #655859] Wed, 23 February 2011 09:30 Go to previous message
Hugo Bruneliere is currently offline Hugo BruneliereFriend
Hi Francesca,

To have some more information about what is in MoDisco regarding to your problem, I advice you to take a look to the documentation related to the customizable MoDisco model browser that could be relevant in your case http://wiki.eclipse.org/MoDisco/Components/ModelBrowser
This MoDisco component should allow you to quickly get some interesting features for your DSL.

However, as George said, if you want to build a fully graphical concrete syntax for your DSL you should rather take a look to the GMF project or similar.

Best regards,

Hugo

--------------------------------------------------------
Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
NaoMod team (IMT Atlantique & LS2N-CNRS)
Nantes - France
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Topic:Reverse Engineering Plugin based on MoDisco
Next Topic:kdm missing some code elements?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:34:12 GMT 2024