Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » All IElementUpdater objects referenced on startup issue(Takes way to long to start up)
All IElementUpdater objects referenced on startup issue [message #652403] Thu, 03 February 2011 18:33 Go to next message
Max Mising name is currently offline Max Mising nameFriend
In my application, it takes quite a long time to start up and see the workbench. I have noticed that every single one of my menu command handlers that implement IElementUpdater are having updateElement(...) called (sometimes multiple times) on startup before the window has even been shown. I have this to be true even if the menu items are not visible due to visibleWhen tags in place (menu items from different perspectives). I have noticed that if I use the activeWhen tag for the handler using the same constraints as the menu's visibleWhen tag, the handler will not have updateElement called on it. I can set this up for all my handlers that are specific to the perspective but for handlers that are shared amoung perspectives, I don't see a way to make it so that updateElement is not called on startup for non visible menu items. Does anyone know if it is by design that even though the menu items aren't visible, their active handlers are still updated or is this potentially a bug? Does anyone know of a way to tell a menu item in the plugin.xml to not update the handler when it isn't visible?

Thanks

Max
Re: All IElementUpdater objects referenced on startup issue [message #652427 is a reply to message #652403] Thu, 03 February 2011 20:26 Go to previous message
Max Mising name is currently offline Max Mising nameFriend
I found in the code where this happens.

CommandService.registerElement, line 308 checks for IElementUpdater. I would think there would be some way for the IElementReference to know if it's UIElement is visible or not and only update if it is.
Previous Topic:How to show a "map" in an editor
Next Topic:[SOLVED] File editor and its margin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:51:20 GMT 2024