Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » svn command-line version compatible with subversive?
svn command-line version compatible with subversive? [message #647681] Fri, 07 January 2011 18:08 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I use the latest Subversive, but I connect to a SVN 1.4.x server.

I'm able to use svn from the command line, but I don't do anything from the command line that updates my svn tree, like update or commit. I once tried that, and it screwed up my workspace so badly I had to delete it and recreate the entire workspace.

Is there a way I can "safely" do svn updates and commits from the command line, without screwing up Subversive? Is there a particular version or distribution of svn that will be completely compatible with what Subversive is doing?
Re: svn command-line version compatible with subversive? [message #648144 is a reply to message #647681] Tue, 11 January 2011 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
olly2 Mising name is currently offline olly2 Mising nameFriend
Hallo David,
well, subversive itselfe is not doing any svn job directly. It fact it uses the svn connectors. There are two different ones available: JavaHL and SVNKit.

JavaHL is a small layer of Java around the SVn standard implementation (in C). SVNKit is a pure Java reimplementation of SVN.

Well, a basic concept of SVN is to have management facilities of you local working copy - the working copy management library. This little peace of software takes care of what you want to do: use different clients on the same working copy. It actually does not matter whether you use JavaHL or SVNKit connectors as both are compatible. You can use many tools on the same WC.

Of course there is a problem. I am sure you have seen all these ".svn" folders in you local working copy. The keep all this meta information including prestine copy. The format of the content of these folder is well defined.

When changing from SVN 1.4 to SVN1.5 I think there was a change in this structure, so if a 1.5 Client (e.g. Subversive) "touches" such a working copy it chanes its format from 1.4 to 1.5 - so 1.4 clients and 1.5 clients are not compatible. Please take a look to subversion release notes for more details.

So, you can use many different tools on the same working copy like command line and subversive as long as they are of the same (wc) version, e.g. both 1.5 or 1.6.

Best regards,
Olaf
Re: svn command-line version compatible with subversive? [message #648180 is a reply to message #648144] Tue, 11 January 2011 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
So it sounds like you're telling me I have to install Subversion 1.4.x to be safe.

What's curious, however, is that the latest Subversive and connector works fine, talking to my 1.4.x server.
Re: svn command-line version compatible with subversive? [message #648968 is a reply to message #648180] Sun, 16 January 2011 22:32 Go to previous message
Stanimir Stamenkov is currently offline Stanimir StamenkovFriend
Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:21:06 -0500, /David M. Karr/:

> So it sounds like you're telling me I have to install Subversion
> 1.4.x to be safe.
>
> What's curious, however, is that the latest Subversive and connector
> works fine, talking to my 1.4.x server.

Any client version equal or greater than the server version could
talk to the server. The client however updates the local working
copy version (AFAIK on any operation, not just update or commit), so
you have to use the same client version with the different SVN tools
- e.g. the Subversive connector and the command-line client.

--
Stanimir
Previous Topic:Any way to determine syntax of "reference" attribute in "project" element in tea
Next Topic:SVN password dialog appearing on every operation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:17:28 GMT 2024