Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Mylyn » Displaying data from database with WikiText
Displaying data from database with WikiText [message #63315] Wed, 10 December 2008 08:03 Go to next message
yaumunlam  is currently offline yaumunlam
Messages: 33
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi David,

for displaying data from a database table using its key with a tag, say,
<data key="">, what's the best way to extend WikiText?

Thanks!

Yau.
Re: Displaying data from database with WikiText [message #63361 is a reply to message #63315] Wed, 10 December 2008 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Green is currently offline David Green
Messages: 135
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Yau wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> for displaying data from a database table using its key with a tag, say,
> <data key="">, what's the best way to extend WikiText?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Yau.
>
>

Yau, if you're using the Textile markup language then all XML tags are
passed through to the HTML output. You could therefore do a two-pass
rendering of the markup. The first pass would transform the markup to
XHTML with embedded XML tags. The second pass would use the XML tags to
process the database content.

Alternatively you could extend a markup language such as Textile to
include your own proprietary tags.

Another option would be to use some other technology such as Facelets
and JSF to render a page with logic and data, and have a custom Facelet
tag handler or JSF tag process regions of text with the WikiText markup
parser.

The best approach really depends on what you're trying to do.
Re: Displaying data from database with WikiText [message #65807 is a reply to message #63361] Mon, 23 February 2009 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: tbone13.gmx.de

David Green schrieb:
> Yau wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> for displaying data from a database table using its key with a tag, say,
>> <data key="">, what's the best way to extend WikiText?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Yau.
>>
>>
>
> Yau, if you're using the Textile markup language then all XML tags are
> passed through to the HTML output. You could therefore do a two-pass
> rendering of the markup. The first pass would transform the markup to
> XHTML with embedded XML tags. The second pass would use the XML tags to
> process the database content.
>
> Alternatively you could extend a markup language such as Textile to
> include your own proprietary tags.
>
> Another option would be to use some other technology such as Facelets
> and JSF to render a page with logic and data, and have a custom Facelet
> tag handler or JSF tag process regions of text with the WikiText markup
> parser.
>
> The best approach really depends on what you're trying to do.

Hello David,

thank you for this hint, but this doesn't seem to be my problem. Inside
my IDE I created a Project and a file "test.textile". I can edit this
file and the SourceViewer is great, but the preview tab doesn't work.

Now I decided to test inside a clean new installtion. I downloaded
eclipse-SDK-3.4.1-win32 (the classic version) and added the 3 Mylyn
UpdateSites
..../e3.4
..../extras
..../incubators
to the available sites and installed the WikiText plugin.

And ... it's working fine (SourceViewer && Preview Tab)

I'll trie a --clean with my IDE tomorrow.

Best regards

Tobi
Re: Displaying data from database with WikiText [message #65851 is a reply to message #65807] Mon, 23 February 2009 17:33 Go to previous message
David Green is currently offline David Green
Messages: 135
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Tobias Schröder wrote:
> Now I decided to test inside a clean new installtion. I downloaded
> ... snip ...
> And ... it's working fine (SourceViewer && Preview Tab)
>

Sounds like you resolved the issue. If the problem occurs again please
file a bug.
Re: Displaying data from database with WikiText [message #595414 is a reply to message #63315] Wed, 10 December 2008 20:10 Go to previous message
David Green is currently offline David Green
Messages: 96
Registered: July 2009
Member
Yau wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> for displaying data from a database table using its key with a tag, say,
> <data key="">, what's the best way to extend WikiText?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Yau.
>
>

Yau, if you're using the Textile markup language then all XML tags are
passed through to the HTML output. You could therefore do a two-pass
rendering of the markup. The first pass would transform the markup to
XHTML with embedded XML tags. The second pass would use the XML tags to
process the database content.

Alternatively you could extend a markup language such as Textile to
include your own proprietary tags.

Another option would be to use some other technology such as Facelets
and JSF to render a page with logic and data, and have a custom Facelet
tag handler or JSF tag process regions of text with the WikiText markup
parser.

The best approach really depends on what you're trying to do.
Re: Displaying data from database with WikiText [message #596415 is a reply to message #63361] Mon, 23 February 2009 14:39 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: tbone13.gmx.de

David Green schrieb:
> Yau wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> for displaying data from a database table using its key with a tag, say,
>> <data key="">, what's the best way to extend WikiText?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Yau.
>>
>>
>
> Yau, if you're using the Textile markup language then all XML tags are
> passed through to the HTML output. You could therefore do a two-pass
> rendering of the markup. The first pass would transform the markup to
> XHTML with embedded XML tags. The second pass would use the XML tags to
> process the database content.
>
> Alternatively you could extend a markup language such as Textile to
> include your own proprietary tags.
>
> Another option would be to use some other technology such as Facelets
> and JSF to render a page with logic and data, and have a custom Facelet
> tag handler or JSF tag process regions of text with the WikiText markup
> parser.
>
> The best approach really depends on what you're trying to do.

Hello David,

thank you for this hint, but this doesn't seem to be my problem. Inside
my IDE I created a Project and a file "test.textile". I can edit this
file and the SourceViewer is great, but the preview tab doesn't work.

Now I decided to test inside a clean new installtion. I downloaded
eclipse-SDK-3.4.1-win32 (the classic version) and added the 3 Mylyn
UpdateSites
..../e3.4
..../extras
..../incubators
to the available sites and installed the WikiText plugin.

And ... it's working fine (SourceViewer && Preview Tab)

I'll trie a --clean with my IDE tomorrow.

Best regards

Tobi
Re: Displaying data from database with WikiText [message #596429 is a reply to message #65807] Mon, 23 February 2009 17:33 Go to previous message
David Green is currently offline David Green
Messages: 96
Registered: July 2009
Member
Tobias Schröder wrote:
> Now I decided to test inside a clean new installtion. I downloaded
> ... snip ...
> And ... it's working fine (SourceViewer && Preview Tab)
>

Sounds like you resolved the issue. If the problem occurs again please
file a bug.
Previous Topic:JIRA Connector and Subtasks
Next Topic:WikiText preview
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Oct 31 19:34:16 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03138 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software