Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » Using ECF on RCP
Using ECF on RCP [message #581217] Thu, 12 May 2005 06:00 Go to next message
Tony Lam is currently offline Tony LamFriend
Messages: 8
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hello,

Our software team in Australia is developing a RCP application (GumTree) for
scientific instrument control. I believe we can leverage ECF to provide
better user experience in our application.

I can imagine the following services can be integrate for us via ecf:
1. Chating / message exchange (already available in ecf)
2. File exchange (also available in ecf)
3. Remote control on Eclipse view (like remote desktop in Windows where
client has to accept remote control request from another party). So that
the instrument scientist can help novice instrument user online.

I've tried ecf m2, and the current implementation requires one to hook up
with a project. However, project is IDE specific and cannot be leveraged by
RCP easily. My question is how to leverage the most out of the current ecf
implementation for RCP application? It may be useful if we can just reuse
the standard view (like "ECF Collaboration). Thanks.

Regards,
Tony.
Re: Using ECF on RCP [message #581235 is a reply to message #581217] Thu, 12 May 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
Messages: 975
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Tony,

Tony Lam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our software team in Australia is developing a RCP application (GumTree) for
> scientific instrument control. I believe we can leverage ECF to provide
> better user experience in our application.
>
> I can imagine the following services can be integrate for us via ecf:
> 1. Chating / message exchange (already available in ecf)
> 2. File exchange (also available in ecf)
> 3. Remote control on Eclipse view (like remote desktop in Windows where
> client has to accept remote control request from another party). So that
> the instrument scientist can help novice instrument user online.
>
> I've tried ecf m2, and the current implementation requires one to hook up
> with a project. However, project is IDE specific and cannot be leveraged by
> RCP easily.

We've designed the example collaboration client so that rather than
refer to a project it can refer to a IResource...which includes projects
but also includes workspaces or files. So it should be possible to use
this alongside an RCP pretty readily.

We've been discussing the need to have the ECF plugins run with an RCP
app. This sounds like potentially a good one to support.

My question is how to leverage the most out of the current ecf
> implementation for RCP application? It may be useful if we can just reuse
> the standard view (like "ECF Collaboration). Thanks.

You can definately reuse the example collab plugin (which has the ECF
Collaboration view). With some modification to the code in this plugin
(org.eclipse.ecf.example.collab) you should be able to reuse much of
what is there for your app.

If you would like to correspond about this plugin in more detail please
contact me at slewis@composent.com and we'll help out with answering
questions, pointing to appropriate places in code, etc.

Thanks,

Scott

>
> Regards,
> Tony.
>
>
Re: Using ECF on RCP [message #581292 is a reply to message #581235] Fri, 13 May 2005 03:41 Go to previous message
Tony Lam is currently offline Tony LamFriend
Messages: 8
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your speedy respond. I guess if ECF committers keep in mind that
RCP developers are always interest in ECF, this project will have a greater
impact on the Eclipse ecosystem. I'll have a good look on
org.eclipse.ecf.example.collab, and contact you for extra help. Thanks.

Regards,
Tony.

"Scott Lewis" <slewis@composent.com> wrote in message
news:4282FC56.9070403@composent.com...
> Hi Tony,
>
> Tony Lam wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Our software team in Australia is developing a RCP application (GumTree)
for
> > scientific instrument control. I believe we can leverage ECF to provide
> > better user experience in our application.
> >
> > I can imagine the following services can be integrate for us via ecf:
> > 1. Chating / message exchange (already available in ecf)
> > 2. File exchange (also available in ecf)
> > 3. Remote control on Eclipse view (like remote desktop in Windows where
> > client has to accept remote control request from another party). So
that
> > the instrument scientist can help novice instrument user online.
> >
> > I've tried ecf m2, and the current implementation requires one to hook
up
> > with a project. However, project is IDE specific and cannot be
leveraged by
> > RCP easily.
>
> We've designed the example collaboration client so that rather than
> refer to a project it can refer to a IResource...which includes projects
> but also includes workspaces or files. So it should be possible to use
> this alongside an RCP pretty readily.
>
> We've been discussing the need to have the ECF plugins run with an RCP
> app. This sounds like potentially a good one to support.
>
> My question is how to leverage the most out of the current ecf
> > implementation for RCP application? It may be useful if we can just
reuse
> > the standard view (like "ECF Collaboration). Thanks.
>
> You can definately reuse the example collab plugin (which has the ECF
> Collaboration view). With some modification to the code in this plugin
> (org.eclipse.ecf.example.collab) you should be able to reuse much of
> what is there for your app.
>
> If you would like to correspond about this plugin in more detail please
> contact me at slewis@composent.com and we'll help out with answering
> questions, pointing to appropriate places in code, etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tony.
> >
> >
Previous Topic:ECF version 0.2.0
Next Topic:createSharedObject in RCP leads to ClassNotFoundException
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Dec 22 02:18:13 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.06800 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software