Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » Group discovery
Group discovery [message #579367] Mon, 31 January 2005 14:48 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: oliver_kieselbach.de.ibm.com

Hi,
I just started to play with the ECF framework because it really looks
interesting. One thing came to my mind when I was trying to implement a
simple app to communicate between multiple Eclipse instances:

As far as I can see, one if the Eclipse instances must play the 'server'
role whereas the other are playing the client role to build a working
'SharedObject' group. The question now is, how can an app check if there is
already an Eclipse instance playing the server role, so that it can just
join this group or, in case that client is the first member to join the
group defining itself as the server.

I think it has something to do with ad-hoc networks and service discovery
like Apple's Rendezvous.

Are there any plans to add something like an 'discovery & advertise' API to
the ECF framework or is this just out of the scope?

Thanks
-Oliver
Re: Group discovery [message #579392 is a reply to message #579367] Tue, 01 February 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott Lewis
Messages: 971
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Oliver,

Oliver Kieselbach wrote:
> Hi,
> I just started to play with the ECF framework because it really looks
> interesting. One thing came to my mind when I was trying to implement a
> simple app to communicate between multiple Eclipse instances:
>
> As far as I can see, one if the Eclipse instances must play the 'server'
> role whereas the other are playing the client role to build a working
> 'SharedObject' group. The question now is, how can an app check if there is
> already an Eclipse instance playing the server role, so that it can just
> join this group or, in case that client is the first member to join the
> group defining itself as the server.
>
> I think it has something to do with ad-hoc networks and service discovery
> like Apple's Rendezvous.
>
> Are there any plans to add something like an 'discovery & advertise' API to
> the ECF framework or is this just out of the scope?

I would personally like to see ECF add an discovery and advertise API.
We've avoided working on such an api precisely because a) we have a lot
on our technical plate right now, in terms of API design and
example/demonstration applications b) we are a small team; and c) we
don't require automated service lookup/discovery to do something
immediately valuable...at least for a little while...we hope :-).

It would be very logical to have an abstract discovery api be defined as
an ECF core extension point (like the existing sharedobjectcontainer
factory) that allows/expects provider implementations to provide their
own custom implementation...this could be implemented by something like
Rendezvous, or the JXTA discovery protocols, or Jini or others I suppose.

Maybe we should consider moving up the focus on a discovery and
advertise API to the ECF framework...would others like to give their
view on this also?

And I should also ask: are their people reading this list who would be
interested in (and able) to work on such an addition to ECF? We on the
existing ECF team do not need to necessarily take this on ourselves...if
there are others who would be willing and able to lead something like
this it could very easily be spawned as an ECF sub-project.

One way to start might be to implement a new ECF provider, using
something like Rendevous, and use such a provider implementation as a
way to figure out what would be useful to abstract into a full discovery
API addition to ECF.

Anyway...please everyone let us know (through posting to this list) how
important such an API would be to you.

Thanks,

Scott

>
> Thanks
> -Oliver
>
>
Re: Group discovery [message #579557 is a reply to message #579392] Sun, 13 February 2005 21:23 Go to previous message
Stephan Zehrer is currently offline Stephan Zehrer
Messages: 42
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi,

here some comments...

Scott Lewis wrote:

> Maybe we should consider moving up the focus on a discovery and
> advertise API to the ECF framework...would others like to give their
> view on this also?
Yes!


> And I should also ask: are their people reading this list who would be
> interested in (and able) to work on such an addition to ECF? We on the
> existing ECF team do not need to necessarily take this on ourselves...if
> there are others who would be willing and able to lead something like
> this it could very easily be spawned as an ECF sub-project.
>
> One way to start might be to implement a new ECF provider, using
> something like Rendevous, and use such a provider implementation as a
> way to figure out what would be useful to abstract into a full discovery
> API addition to ECF.

Maybe JGroups fulfil this requirement. I thought i saw it on your planning.

> Anyway...please everyone let us know (through posting to this list) how
> important such an API would be to you.

Mmm, i would prever a peer-to-peer network. No configuration, only the
same projekt name and ready. Is see no advantage of a server based
solution only additional maintenance.

bye

Stephan Zehrer
Previous Topic:Initial setup problems
Next Topic:some small patch ...
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Oct 25 07:12:17 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01751 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software