|New Homepage Comments [message #562918]
||Tue, 10 May 2005 19:49
| David Graham
Registered: July 2009
The proposed homepage design is cleaner than the current one. Here are |
- The font size must be larger. I have good eyesight and still can't
read the text.
- The news item titles are not clearly separated from their descriptions
which makes them difficult to scan quickly. The description should
start on a new line below the title.
- The news items are too close together. They need more vertical
whitespace between them.
- Recent articles should get their own section on the homepage. When I
was first learning Eclipse the articles were the first thing I read.
- I think the main reason people visit the site is to download Eclipse.
The http://eclipse.org/downloads/index.php page has the right idea by
detecting your OS and displaying a link for downloading Eclipse. That
link also needs to appear prominently on the home page. Making the
download a one click operation will increase the number of people that
give Eclipse a try.
- New to Eclipse? isn't the right heading. I skipped that section
because I've been using Eclipse for years but there are links there that
I am interested in.
- The frames need to go.
- The left hand navigation color scheme makes the links difficult to read.
- Search doesn't need it's own left hand nav. entry if you put the
search box in the upper right corner of each page. Most people have
come to expect the search box on each page so they probably don't notice
it in the navigation links.
- Maybe the left hand nav. can be removed entirely if you build the
links into the header area. http://www.opera.com/ does this well.
- Why doesn't the Project Links section have the same rounded outline as
every other section?
- The Project News header has a dashed line and a solid line separating
it from the content. The Community New section has just the dashed
line. The New to Eclipse? section has just the solid line. All
sections should use a consistent separator line. The New to Eclipse?
section looks the cleanest.
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.02125 seconds