Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Unable to debug OSGi modules on Virgo in Eclipse
Unable to debug OSGi modules on Virgo in Eclipse [message #560224] Tue, 21 September 2010 15:22 Go to next message
Dennis is currently offline DennisFriend
I am working on an application the spans multiple OSGi bundles. This works when running directly on Virgo Server. So the code is sound.

When I attempt to run the server in debug mode on Eclipse, the debug command seems to be ignored, and the server seems to start in normal run mode. Obviously this prevents me from doing step-by-step debugging.

Maven is being used to build the application.

I feel like I am missing something. What do I need to do to make debug mode work?

Thanks.
Re: Unable to debug OSGi modules on Virgo in Eclipse [message #560229 is a reply to message #560224] Tue, 21 September 2010 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Did you specify the -debug switch to the Virgo startup script? That should listen for the debugger to attach. If you want to prevent Virgo from starting until you have attached the debugger (and, for example, set a breakpoint), use both the -debug and -suspend switches.

Details are in the user guide.

(I am assuming you are happy to run Virgo externally to Eclipse and attach the Eclipse debugger to the Virgo process. If you are trying to run Virgo in debug mode using the Virgo tooling, e.g. in STS, then that's a different story.)

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2010 15:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to debug OSGi modules on Virgo in Eclipse [message #562478 is a reply to message #560224] Tue, 21 September 2010 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ideally I would like to be able to start and stop the server from within Eclipse.

STS has some dependency issues that I haven't worked out, so it won't install at this time.

But anything would be better than no debugging. How does one attach an external process to the Eclipse debugger?
Re: Unable to debug OSGi modules on Virgo in Eclipse [message #582070 is a reply to message #560229] Tue, 21 September 2010 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ideally I would like to be able to start and stop the server from within Eclipse Helios.

STS has some dependency issues that I haven't worked out, so it won't install at this time.

But anything would be better than no debugging. How does one attach an external process to the Eclipse debugger?
Re: Unable to debug OSGi modules on Virgo in Eclipse [message #590347 is a reply to message #582070] Tue, 21 September 2010 18:07 Go to previous message
I found this url that explains how to connect a report instance to the Eclipse debugger:
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.platform/msg25 518.html

Previous Topic:R-OSGi over Virgo
Next Topic:Where do non-Virgo logs end up?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:09:36 GMT 2024