Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Bundles in usr and pickup behave differently
Bundles in usr and pickup behave differently [message #559602] Fri, 17 September 2010 10:59 Go to next message
guofeng zhang is currently offline guofeng zhangFriend
I use Virgo Web Server 2.1 M4. In my following test, I always use "startup -clean" for each case.

I downloaded com.springsource.org.apache.commons.pool-1.5.3.jar and com.springsource.org.apache.commons.dbcp-1.2.2.osgi.jar.

(1) if I placed the above two jars in pickup, I got:
Resolver report:
An Import-Package could not be resolved. Caused by missing constraint in bundle <com.springsource.org.apache.commons.dbcp_1.2.2.osgi>
constraint: <Import-Package: org.apache.commons.pool.impl; version="[1.3.0,2.0.0)">

(2) if I placed the two jars in usr. Only "org.apache.commons.pool" is deployed. "org.apache.commons.dbcp" is not deployed, It is not listed in the Bundles page of Admin Console. No any error in the log.

(3)If I placed "org.apache.commons.dbcp" in pickup, and "org.apache.commons.pool" in usr seperately. The two bundles deployed successfully. Then I tried to deploy my datasource bundle. It has to be placed in pickup. If it is placed in usr, it won't be deployed.

Is this the expected behavior or a bug in Virgo?

If it is the expected behavior, could you explain the difference between usr and pickup directory. From the user guide, it seems that pickup directory is only for hot deploy.

Thanks!

Re: Bundles in usr and pickup behave differently [message #559608 is a reply to message #559602] Fri, 17 September 2010 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Frost is currently offline Chris FrostFriend

Hi Guofeng,

This is expected behaviour, the pickup directory is a watched directory for you to deploy your application bundles and artifacts to. The repository/usr directory is also a watched directory but bundles and other artifacts in it will not be hot-deployed, it is for your applications dpendancies.

From your description below, you should place both the commons bundles in the usr directory and, if needed, they will be started when you deploy an application bundle.

More information can be found in the User guide http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/virgo-documentati on-2.1.0.M04-incubation/docs/virgo-user-guide/html/ch08.html and http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/virgo-documentati on-2.1.0.M04-incubation/docs/virgo-user-guide/html/ch06.html

Hope this helps,
Chris.

------------------------------------------------
Chris Frost, Twitter @cgfrost
Springsource, a divison of VMware.
Re: Bundles in usr and pickup behave differently [message #1424043 is a reply to message #559608] Mon, 15 September 2014 11:23 Go to previous message
Chris Werner is currently offline Chris WernerFriend
That's pretty crucial information Chris, and the User Guide doesn't even hint at that difference.
It states "Virgo regularly scans watched repositories so it automatically picks up any changes to the artifacts in the directory at runtime", where 'picks up' and 'artifacts' are really way too vague to explain this difference.
Previous Topic:Tomcat 8.0.12 integration
Next Topic:Configure Tomcat to serve static files directly from filesystem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:34:32 GMT 2024