Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » SWT Table with fixed rows
SWT Table with fixed rows [message #558278] Fri, 10 September 2010 18:50 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: steve_lukshides.us.ibm.com

Hello,
I have an app that requires a row at the bottom of a table to always be
visible. The table holds columns of numbers which are summed, with the
totals displaying in that fixed row at the bottom. The app was
originally written by someone else and implemented using two tables, one
for the numeric data, and the other for the sum totals. For a number of
reasons, this is not ideal. For example, resizing a column in the top
table doesn't resize the columns in the totals table. Does anyone know
of an SWT table control that has a feature whereby a row can be locked
at the bottom? I haven't been able to find one with such a feature.
Thanks.

Steve
Re: SWT Table with fixed rows [message #558281 is a reply to message #558278] Fri, 10 September 2010 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eshvar60  is currently offline eshvar60
Messages: 51
Registered: March 2010
Member
Thats a tough one.

Have you thought about making your own viewer by wrapping two jface Tables together?

That way you can overcome the problems such as resizing by simply installing Listeners on the Summation table that listen to any important events in the top table.
Re: SWT Table with fixed rows [message #558297 is a reply to message #558278] Fri, 10 September 2010 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas Schindl
Messages: 5321
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Nebula-Grid has such a feature.

Tom

Am 10.09.10 20:50, schrieb Steve Lukshides:
> Hello,
> I have an app that requires a row at the bottom of a table to always be
> visible. The table holds columns of numbers which are summed, with the
> totals displaying in that fixed row at the bottom. The app was
> originally written by someone else and implemented using two tables, one
> for the numeric data, and the other for the sum totals. For a number of
> reasons, this is not ideal. For example, resizing a column in the top
> table doesn't resize the columns in the totals table. Does anyone know
> of an SWT table control that has a feature whereby a row can be locked
> at the bottom? I haven't been able to find one with such a feature.
> Thanks.
>
> Steve
Re: SWT Table with fixed rows [message #558619 is a reply to message #558297] Mon, 13 September 2010 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: steve_lukshides.us.ibm.com

Tom,
I thought about that one but there is no mention of locked rows on the
Nebula Grid web page, nor was I able to find a Javadoc. It also says
it's in Alpha state, where it has been for more than a year. My
application is in production so I don't know if I can trust it to alpha
code, especially alpha code that doesn't seem to progress. Have you
used it? Is it at all stable? Have you used the lock rows feature?
Can you point me to any javadoc? Thanks

Steve

Tom Schindl wrote:
> Nebula-Grid has such a feature.
>
> Tom
>
> Am 10.09.10 20:50, schrieb Steve Lukshides:
>> Hello,
>> I have an app that requires a row at the bottom of a table to always be
>> visible. The table holds columns of numbers which are summed, with the
>> totals displaying in that fixed row at the bottom. The app was
>> originally written by someone else and implemented using two tables, one
>> for the numeric data, and the other for the sum totals. For a number of
>> reasons, this is not ideal. For example, resizing a column in the top
>> table doesn't resize the columns in the totals table. Does anyone know
>> of an SWT table control that has a feature whereby a row can be locked
>> at the bottom? I haven't been able to find one with such a feature.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Steve
>
Re: SWT Table with fixed rows [message #558640 is a reply to message #558281] Mon, 13 September 2010 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: steve_lukshides.us.ibm.com

I looked into this a while ago but found that the table wasn't sending
events when a column was resized. I'll have to look into that again. Do
you know for sure that the Table does send this event? Thanks.

eshvar60 wrote:
> Thats a tough one.
> Have you thought about making your own viewer by wrapping two jface
> Tables together?
> That way you can overcome the problems such as resizing by simply
> installing Listeners on the Summation table that listen to any important
> events in the top table.
Re: SWT Table with fixed rows [message #558681 is a reply to message #558619] Mon, 13 September 2010 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas Schindl
Messages: 5321
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I'm the maintainer and we are just starting to wrap up our code (in
reality our Nebula project is going to) to release a 0.9 version in Q4
and 1.0 soon afterwards.

The current alpha state label is completely missleading though even today:
* We have no serious bugs (though naturally we have bugs not fixed yet)
* We haven't broken APIs since a long long time (beside fixing a typo
in a method > 6 months ago)

The fixed footer (and it is really only a fixed footer row!) is a hidden
feature of Nebula-Grid but there are others as well:
* Possibility to add controls into the header
* Information about current visible cells (needed to clean up e.g.
image handles, paged loading, ...)

And the best is if you are using JFace-Viewers the code change is
minimal - replace TableViewer/TableViewerColumn through
GridViewer/GridViewerColumn and you are done. Afertwards you can explore
the extra features of Nebula-Grid :-)

Tom

Am 13.09.10 19:22, schrieb Steve Lukshides:
> Tom,
> I thought about that one but there is no mention of locked rows on the
> Nebula Grid web page, nor was I able to find a Javadoc. It also says
> it's in Alpha state, where it has been for more than a year. My
> application is in production so I don't know if I can trust it to alpha
> code, especially alpha code that doesn't seem to progress. Have you
> used it? Is it at all stable? Have you used the lock rows feature? Can
> you point me to any javadoc? Thanks
>
> Steve
>
> Tom Schindl wrote:
>> Nebula-Grid has such a feature.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> Am 10.09.10 20:50, schrieb Steve Lukshides:
>>> Hello,
>>> I have an app that requires a row at the bottom of a table to always be
>>> visible. The table holds columns of numbers which are summed, with the
>>> totals displaying in that fixed row at the bottom. The app was
>>> originally written by someone else and implemented using two tables, one
>>> for the numeric data, and the other for the sum totals. For a number of
>>> reasons, this is not ideal. For example, resizing a column in the top
>>> table doesn't resize the columns in the totals table. Does anyone know
>>> of an SWT table control that has a feature whereby a row can be locked
>>> at the bottom? I haven't been able to find one with such a feature.
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
Re: SWT Table with fixed rows [message #558787 is a reply to message #558640] Tue, 14 September 2010 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant Gayed is currently offline Grant Gayed
Messages: 2151
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Adding a Resize listener to a TableColumn should notify you whenever it's
resized.

Grant


"Steve Lukshides" <steve_lukshides@us.ibm.com> wrote in message
news:i6lr49$tne$1@build.eclipse.org...
>I looked into this a while ago but found that the table wasn't sending
>events when a column was resized. I'll have to look into that again. Do you
>know for sure that the Table does send this event? Thanks.
>
> eshvar60 wrote:
>> Thats a tough one.
>> Have you thought about making your own viewer by wrapping two jface
>> Tables together?
>> That way you can overcome the problems such as resizing by simply
>> installing Listeners on the Summation table that listen to any important
>> events in the top table.
Re: SWT Table with fixed rows [message #558788 is a reply to message #558787] Tue, 14 September 2010 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas Schindl
Messages: 5321
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
IIRC this is different from platform to platform and some are only
sendind the event when you release the mouse button but not while
dragging it.

Tom

Am 14.09.10 15:09, schrieb Grant Gayed:
> Adding a Resize listener to a TableColumn should notify you whenever it's
> resized.
>
> Grant
>
>
> "Steve Lukshides" <steve_lukshides@us.ibm.com> wrote in message
> news:i6lr49$tne$1@build.eclipse.org...
>> I looked into this a while ago but found that the table wasn't sending
>> events when a column was resized. I'll have to look into that again. Do you
>> know for sure that the Table does send this event? Thanks.
>>
>> eshvar60 wrote:
>>> Thats a tough one.
>>> Have you thought about making your own viewer by wrapping two jface
>>> Tables together?
>>> That way you can overcome the problems such as resizing by simply
>>> installing Listeners on the Summation table that listen to any important
>>> events in the top table.
>
>
Re: SWT Table with fixed rows [message #558796 is a reply to message #558788] Tue, 14 September 2010 13:18 Go to previous message
Grant Gayed is currently offline Grant Gayed
Messages: 2151
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Yes, in some contexts a column will be actively resized while you're
dragging, while in others the dragging just drags something like a
straight-line tracker, and the column resize (and consequent Resize event)
are only applied after MouseUp.

Grant


"Tom Schindl" <tom.schindl@bestsolution.at> wrote in message
news:i6ns9f$rmo$1@build.eclipse.org...
> IIRC this is different from platform to platform and some are only
> sendind the event when you release the mouse button but not while
> dragging it.
>
> Tom
>
> Am 14.09.10 15:09, schrieb Grant Gayed:
>> Adding a Resize listener to a TableColumn should notify you whenever it's
>> resized.
>>
>> Grant
>>
>>
>> "Steve Lukshides" <steve_lukshides@us.ibm.com> wrote in message
>> news:i6lr49$tne$1@build.eclipse.org...
>>> I looked into this a while ago but found that the table wasn't sending
>>> events when a column was resized. I'll have to look into that again. Do
>>> you
>>> know for sure that the Table does send this event? Thanks.
>>>
>>> eshvar60 wrote:
>>>> Thats a tough one.
>>>> Have you thought about making your own viewer by wrapping two jface
>>>> Tables together?
>>>> That way you can overcome the problems such as resizing by simply
>>>> installing Listeners on the Summation table that listen to any
>>>> important
>>>> events in the top table.
>>
>>
>
Previous Topic:product export failed: "cannot satisfy" - which one?
Next Topic:Automatic code completion
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Sep 17 11:39:19 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02600 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software