Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » opxml installation(oprofiler plugin: opxml not working)
opxml installation [message #536664] Sat, 29 May 2010 13:52 Go to next message
Robert Simpson is currently offline Robert SimpsonFriend
Hi,

Having got eclipse installed and working and oprofiler running from the command line, I've been trying to install the plugin.

(I think) I've followed the instructions in http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/OProfile/User_Gu ide, including building opxml and installing it as it wasn't on my system at all.

When I try to profile c++ in Eclipse I get the error: "An error occurred with opxml The xml output could not be read..."

Running opxml info gives:
"oprofile: could not open unit mask description file /usr/local/share/oprofile//x64-64/hammer/unit masks"

and indeed there is no oprofile directory in /usr/local/share.

Any ideas how to proceed? What have I missed?

[Updated on: Sat, 29 May 2010 15:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: opxml installation [message #537562 is a reply to message #536664] Wed, 02 June 2010 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roland Grunberg is currently offline Roland GrunbergFriend
Robert Simpson wrote on Sat, 29 May 2010 09:52
Hi,

Having got eclipse installed and working and oprofiler running from the command line, I've been trying to install the plugin.

(I think) I've followed the instructions in http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/OProfile/User_Gu ide, including building opxml and installing it as it wasn't on my system at all.

When I try to profile c++ in Eclipse I get the error: "An error occurred with opxml The xml output could not be read..."

Running opxml info gives:
"oprofile: could not open unit mask description file /usr/local/share/oprofile//x64-64/hammer/unit masks"

and indeed there is no oprofile directory in /usr/local/share.

Any ideas how to proceed? What have I missed?

If you try the following from the command-line does it succeed ?

opcontrol --image=/path/to/the/binary
opcontrol --start
/path/to/the/binary
opcontrol --stop

If not, then I believe this is being caused by opcontrol itself (which is part of a set of tools used by the eclipse-oprofile plugin).

However, the fact that opcontrol was looking for some files in /usr/local/share would indicate that you compiled oprofile locally. Did you run 'make install' afterwards? If not, then I think this would need to be done, and might be the reason the files are not present.
Re: opxml installation [message #537587 is a reply to message #537562] Thu, 03 June 2010 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It works fine from the command line (except I had to 'sudo' the opcontrol commands).

I think I did a make install but can you tell me the directory? If I missed it out can I just go back and do a make install or do I need to recompile everything?

Re: opxml installation [message #537771 is a reply to message #537587] Thu, 03 June 2010 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Simpson wrote on Thu, 03 June 2010 00:22
It works fine from the command line (except I had to 'sudo' the opcontrol commands).

I think I did a make install but can you tell me the directory? If I missed it out can I just go back and do a make install or do I need to recompile everything?

There should be an oprofile directory created in /usr/local/share by default after running make install. You could try looking on your system if by any chance it may be somewhere else, but if you did just a basic ./configure, without adding any flags like --prefix, or --datadir then there's no reason for it to be anywhere else. In fact, I think that even if you did, oprofile should use the values you specified when searching.

Also, after starting opcontrol, executing your binary, then stopping it, does running 'opxml sessions' show a session named "current" under some event name in the xml. If so, then does running opxml model-data [event_name] [session_name] output xml data on that session?
Re: opxml installation [message #537826 is a reply to message #536664] Thu, 03 June 2010 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was able to reproduce your problem on the command-line. Specifically, running opxml info gave me the error about not finding the the unit mask description file in "/usr/share/oprofile...". (seems like i got the opposite of what you got).
The compilation of oprofile installed all the necessary files in /usr/local/share/oprofile, so i just made a symlink in /usr/share to that location. opxml info worked after that.

I'm not quite sure why it was looking in the wrong directory. I think it might have something to do with the fact that installing oprofile-devel (needed for opxml compilation) brought in oprofile, which may have changed some settings causing opxml to look in the wrong folder afterwards.
I'll look into this, but for now, assuming a successfull compilation of oprofile, you should try finding where the unit_masks file gets installed, and then make a symlink from the top-level oprofile directory to wherever opxml is expecting to find the actual folder.

Re: opxml installation [message #538919 is a reply to message #537771] Wed, 09 June 2010 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roland Grunberg wrote on Thu, 03 June 2010 11:26
Robert Simpson wrote on Thu, 03 June 2010 00:22

There should be an oprofile directory created in /usr/local/share by default after running make install. You could try looking on your system if by any chance it may be somewhere else, but if you did just a basic ./configure, without adding any flags like --prefix, or --datadir then there's no reason for it to be anywhere else. In fact, I think that even if you did, oprofile should use the values you specified when searching.

Also, after starting opcontrol, executing your binary, then stopping it, does running 'opxml sessions' show a session named "current" under some event name in the xml. If so, then does running opxml model-data [event_name] [session_name] output xml data on that session?

Yes, opxml sessions gives a session called 'current'

Running opxml model-data CPU_CLK_UNHALTED current gives a seg fault.

Re: opxml installation [message #539693 is a reply to message #538919] Fri, 11 June 2010 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Simpson wrote on Wed, 09 June 2010 01:59

I've been able to reproduce this by changing the version of binutils-devel (used an older version). Although it did compile regarless of version, I think this is what's causing the segfault. I think possibly trying out other versions of binutils-devel (newer) might fix this. I'll do some investigating.
Re: opxml installation [message #545689 is a reply to message #537826] Thu, 08 July 2010 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Lea is currently offline Dan LeaFriend
I had the same problem after building oprofile-devel from source in Ubuntu. I soft linked /usr/local/share/oprofile to /usr/share/oprofile (the install of Ubuntu's build) to fix the problem, though I expect this could result in build inconsistencies.

Note that it's looking for the files in usr/local - not sure you had it the same way round in your post Roland.
Re: opxml installation [message #556597 is a reply to message #539693] Thu, 02 September 2010 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Haller is currently offline Patrick HallerFriend
After manually building opxml, I also encountered a segfault.
Used system: gentoo linux on amd64, using binutils-2.20.1-r1.

Root cause is that a sample for " /var/cache/fontconfig/3830d5c3ddfd5cd38a049b759396e72e-le64. cache-3 " is attempted to be examined. opxml seemingly doesn't handle errors properly here.

opxml of org.eclipse.linuxtools-0.20 crashes on "opxml model-data CPU_CLK_UNHALTED current"
with a running oprofile daemon instance.

Stacktrace:
opxml Debug [C/C++ Application]	
	/local/patrick/workspace/opxml/opxml [9237]	
		Thread [1] (Suspended : Signal : SIGSEGV:Segmentation fault)	
			_bfd_elf_get_symtab_upper_bound() at 0x385c6553d2	
			symboltable::read_symbols() at /local/patrick/workspace/opxml/stable.cc:96 0x40c16a	
			samplefile::get_samples() at /local/patrick/workspace/opxml/samplefile.cc:190 0x416290	
			operator<<() at /local/patrick/workspace/opxml/profileimage.cc:144 0x420a94	
			model_data() at /local/patrick/workspace/opxml/opxml.cc:383 0x40678b	
			main() at /local/patrick/workspace/opxml/opxml.cc:245 0x405d05	
	gdb	
	opxml	

Affected source:
bool
symboltable::read_symbols ()
{
  if (_open_bfd ())
    {
      long storage_needed = bfd_get_symtab_upper_bound (_abfd);
      if (storage_needed > 0)
	{

Variables:
this	symboltable * const	0x2c7c830	
	_boring_symbols	const char *[0]	[0]	
	_symbols	std::vector<symbol*, std::allocator<symbol*> >	{...}	
	_filename	char *	0x350d9c0 "/var/cache/fontconfig/3830d5c3ddfd5cd38a049b759396e72e-le64.cache-3"	
	_abfd	bfd *	0x350da10	
	_symbol_table	asymbol **	0x0	
	_start_vma	bfd_vma	0	
	_text_offset	bfd_vma	3345167787871972912	
	_cache_symbol	symbol *	0x0	

Analysis:
_open_bfd has actually opened the file
" /var/cache/fontconfig/3830d5c3ddfd5cd38a049b759396e72e-le64. cache-3 " which is
not a valid elf image. However, the next call inside libbdf,
bfd_get_symtab_upper_bound, eventually fails on analysing this "image".

bool
symboltable::_open_bfd (void)
{
  if (_abfd == NULL)
    {
      bfd_init ();
      int fd = open (_filename, O_RDONLY); // bfd_close will close fd
      _abfd = bfd_fdopenr (_filename, NULL, fd);
      if (_abfd != NULL)
	{
	  char** matches;
	  if (bfd_check_format_matches (_abfd, bfd_object, &matches))

==> bfd_check_format_matches returns false

Contents of _abfd:
_abfd	bfd *	0x3ef0dc0	
	id	unsigned int	147	
	filename	const char *	0x3ef0d70 "/var/cache/fontconfig/3830d5c3ddfd5cd38a049b759396e72e-le64.cache-3"	
	xvec	const bfd_target *	0x385c8d9440	
	iostream	void *	0x3b671a0	
	iovec	const struct bfd_iovec *	0x385c8d09c0	
	lru_prev	bfd *	0xdc6ae0	
	lru_next	bfd *	0xf9c3d0	
	where	ufile_ptr	9	
	mtime	long	0	
	ifd	int	0	
	format	bfd_format	bfd_unknown	
	direction	bfd_direction	read_direction	
	flags	flagword	0	
	origin	ufile_ptr	0	
	proxy_origin	ufile_ptr	0	
	section_htab	bfd_hash_table	{...}	
	sections	bfd_section *	0x0	
	section_last	bfd_section *	0x0	
	section_count	unsigned int	0	
	start_address	bfd_vma	0	
	symcount	unsigned int	0	
	outsymbols	bfd_symbol **	0x0	
	dynsymcount	unsigned int	0	
	arch_info	const bfd_arch_info *	0x385c8d7ca0	
	arelt_data	void *	0x0	
	my_archive	bfd *	0x0	
	archive_next	bfd *	0x0	
	archive_head	bfd *	0x0	
	nested_archives	bfd *	0x0	
	link_next	bfd *	0x0	
	archive_pass	int	0	
	tdata	bfd::<anonymous union>	{...}	
	usrdata	void *	0x0	
	memory	void *	0x3ef0ef0	
	cacheable	unsigned int	0	
	target_defaulted	unsigned int	1	
	opened_once	unsigned int	1	
	mtime_set	unsigned int	0	
	no_export	unsigned int	0	
	output_has_begun	unsigned int	0	
	has_armap	unsigned int	0	
	is_thin_archive	unsigned int	0	

==> Likely, the _abfd.format == bfd_unknown should be taken into account, not
only "return (_abfd != NULL);".

Proposed Fix:
bool
{
  if (_abfd == NULL)
    {
      bfd_init ();
      if (_abfd != NULL)
	{
	  char** matches;
	    {
	      asection const* sect;

sect = bfd_get_section_by_name(_abfd, ".text");
	      if (sect != NULL) {
	        _text_offset = sect->filepos;
	      } else {
	        return false;
	      }

//            //fail: this might not get the text section because
//	      // other sections may also have the SEC_CODE flag
//	      for (sect = _abfd->sections; sect != NULL; sect = sect->next)
//		{
//		  if (sect->flags & SEC_CODE)
//		    {
//		      _text_offset = sect->filepos;
//		      break;
//		    }
//		}

}
	  else
	  {
		  // 2010-09-03 hallerp: format match failed
		  return false;
	  }
	  _start_vma = bfd_get_start_address (_abfd);
	}
    }

// 2010-09-03 hallerp changed success conditions
  if( NULL == _abfd )
	  return false;
  if( _abfd->format == bfd_unknown )
	  return false;

return true;
}

[Updated on: Thu, 02 September 2010 02:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: opxml installation [message #556598 is a reply to message #556597] Thu, 02 September 2010 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've put this to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=324266.

Nice finding: clearing /var/lib/oprofile also fixed the segfault I've been encountering.
Re: opxml installation [message #556834 is a reply to message #556598] Thu, 02 September 2010 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Severin Gehwolf is currently offline Severin GehwolfFriend
Hi Patrick,

On a related note, please see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=273337.

Since there's a work-around for your problem and opxml will go away quite soon I'm not sure if this problem will ever get fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Severin
Re: opxml installation [message #557093 is a reply to message #556834] Sat, 04 September 2010 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick reply.

I couldn't figure out why I had non-ELF images in my profile sessions. However, I could imagine that such a case would also cause unexpected results from the other binutils tools that opxml is going to be replaced with.

Besides, thanks for the work on linuxtools / CDT. This tool chain becomes better with every release.
Re: opxml installation [message #569158 is a reply to message #537771] Wed, 09 June 2010 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roland Grunberg wrote on Thu, 03 June 2010 11:26
> Robert Simpson wrote on Thu, 03 June 2010 00:22
> > It works fine from the command line (except I had to 'sudo' the opcontrol commands).
> >
> > I think I did a make install but can you tell me the directory? If I missed it out can I just go back and do a make install or do I need to recompile everything?
>
>
> There should be an oprofile directory created in /usr/local/share by default after running make install. You could try looking on your system if by any chance it may be somewhere else, but if you did just a basic ./configure, without adding any flags like --prefix, or --datadir then there's no reason for it to be anywhere else. In fact, I think that even if you did, oprofile should use the values you specified when searching.
>
> Also, after starting opcontrol, executing your binary, then stopping it, does running 'opxml sessions' show a session named "current" under some event name in the xml. If so, then does running opxml model-data [event_name] [session_name] output xml data on that session?

Re: opxml installation [message #569244 is a reply to message #569158] Fri, 11 June 2010 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Simpson wrote on Wed, 09 June 2010 01:59
> Yes, opxml sessions gives a session called 'current'
>
> Running opxml model-data CPU_CLK_UNHALTED current gives a seg fault.

I've been able to reproduce this by changing the version of binutils-devel (used an older version). Although it did compile regarless of version, I think this is what's causing the segfault. I think possibly trying out other versions of binutils-devel (newer) might fix this. I'll do some investigating.
Re: opxml installation [message #570043 is a reply to message #569244] Thu, 02 September 2010 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After manually building opxml, I also encountered a segfault.
Used system: gentoo linux on amd64, using binutils-2.20.1-r1.

Root cause is that a sample for " /var/cache/fontconfig/3830d5c3ddfd5cd38a049b759396e72e-le64. cache-3 " is attempted to be examined. opxml seemingly doesn't handle errors properly here.

opxml of org.eclipse.linuxtools-0.20 crashes on "opxml model-data CPU_CLK_UNHALTED current"
with a running oprofile daemon instance.

Stacktrace:
opxml Debug [C/C++ Application]
/local/patrick/workspace/opxml/opxml [9237]
Thread [1] (Suspended : Signal : SIGSEGV:Segmentation fault)
_bfd_elf_get_symtab_upper_bound() at 0x385c6553d2
symboltable::read_symbols() at /local/patrick/workspace/opxml/stable.cc:96 0x40c16a
samplefile::get_samples() at /local/patrick/workspace/opxml/samplefile.cc:190 0x416290
operator<<() at /local/patrick/workspace/opxml/profileimage.cc:144 0x420a94
model_data() at /local/patrick/workspace/opxml/opxml.cc:383 0x40678b
main() at /local/patrick/workspace/opxml/opxml.cc:245 0x405d05
gdb
opxml

Offending source:
bool
symboltable::read_symbols ()
{
if (_open_bfd ())
{
long storage_needed = bfd_get_symtab_upper_bound (_abfd);
if (storage_needed > 0)
{

Variables:
this symboltable * const 0x2c7c830
_boring_symbols const char *[0] [0]
_symbols std::vector<symbol*, std::allocator<symbol*> > {...}
_filename char * 0x350d9c0 " /var/cache/fontconfig/3830d5c3ddfd5cd38a049b759396e72e-le64. cache-3 "
_abfd bfd * 0x350da10
_symbol_table asymbol ** 0x0
_start_vma bfd_vma 0
_text_offset bfd_vma 3345167787871972912
_cache_symbol symbol * 0x0

Analysis:
_open_bfd has actually opened the file
" /var/cache/fontconfig/3830d5c3ddfd5cd38a049b759396e72e-le64. cache-3 " which is
not a valid elf image. However, the next call inside libbdf,
bfd_get_symtab_upper_bound, eventually fails on analysing this "image".

bool
{
if (_abfd == NULL)
{
bfd_init ();
if (_abfd != NULL)
{
char** matches;

==> bfd_check_format_matches returns false

Contents of _abfd:
_abfd bfd * 0x3ef0dc0
id unsigned int 147
filename const char * 0x3ef0d70 " /var/cache/fontconfig/3830d5c3ddfd5cd38a049b759396e72e-le64. cache-3 "
xvec const bfd_target * 0x385c8d9440
iostream void * 0x3b671a0
iovec const struct bfd_iovec * 0x385c8d09c0
lru_prev bfd * 0xdc6ae0
lru_next bfd * 0xf9c3d0
where ufile_ptr 9
mtime long 0
ifd int 0
format bfd_format bfd_unknown
direction bfd_direction read_direction
flags flagword 0
origin ufile_ptr 0
proxy_origin ufile_ptr 0
section_htab bfd_hash_table {...}
sections bfd_section * 0x0
section_last bfd_section * 0x0
section_count unsigned int 0
start_address bfd_vma 0
symcount unsigned int 0
outsymbols bfd_symbol ** 0x0
dynsymcount unsigned int 0
arch_info const bfd_arch_info * 0x385c8d7ca0
arelt_data void * 0x0
my_archive bfd * 0x0
archive_next bfd * 0x0
archive_head bfd * 0x0
nested_archives bfd * 0x0
link_next bfd * 0x0
archive_pass int 0
tdata bfd::<anonymous union> {...}
usrdata void * 0x0
memory void * 0x3ef0ef0
cacheable unsigned int 0
target_defaulted unsigned int 1
opened_once unsigned int 1
mtime_set unsigned int 0
no_export unsigned int 0
output_has_begun unsigned int 0
has_armap unsigned int 0
is_thin_archive unsigned int 0

==> Likely, the _abfd.format == bfd_unknown should be taken into account, not
only "return (_abfd != NULL);".

Proposed Fix:
bool
{
if (_abfd == NULL)
{
bfd_init ();
if (_abfd != NULL)
{
char** matches;
{
asection const* sect;

sect = bfd_get_section_by_name(_abfd, ".text");
if (sect != NULL) {
_text_offset = sect->filepos;
} else {
return false;
}

// //fail: this might not get the text section because
// // other sections may also have the SEC_CODE flag
// for (sect = _abfd->sections; sect != NULL; sect = sect->next)
// {
// if (sect->flags & SEC_CODE)
// {
// _text_offset = sect->filepos;
// break;
// }
// }

}
else
{
// 2010-09-03 hallerp: format match failed
return false;
}
_start_vma = bfd_get_start_address (_abfd);
}
}

// 2010-09-03 hallerp changed success conditions
if( NULL == _abfd )
return false;
if( _abfd->format == bfd_unknown )
return false;

return true;
}
Re: opxml installation [message #570075 is a reply to message #570043] Thu, 02 September 2010 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've put this to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=324266

Nice finding: clearing /var/lib/oprofile also fixed the segfault I've been encountering.
Re: opxml installation [message #570094 is a reply to message #570075] Thu, 02 September 2010 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Patrick,

On a related note, please see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=273337

Since there's a work-around for your problem and opxml will go away quite soon I'm not sure if this problem will ever get fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Severin
Re: opxml installation [message #570113 is a reply to message #570094] Sat, 04 September 2010 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick reply.

I couldn't figure out why I had non-ELF images in my profile sessions. However, I could imagine that such a case would also cause unexpected results from the other binutils tools that opxml is going to be replaced with.

Besides, thanks for the work on linuxtools / CDT. This tool chain becomes better with every release.
Re: opxml installation [message #641729 is a reply to message #570113] Sat, 27 November 2010 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An update on my attempts to get the plugin working:

Upgraded Ubuntu to 10.10. This stopped the existing Eclipse installation working completely (no default text editor, compile & run did absolutely nothing). Seems it couldn't find the CDT (which I'd had to reinstall as 10.10 had removed it).

Anyway, removed the eclipse installation. Downloaded the Helios version and manually installed it. Likewise with Oprofile. Eclipse works again.

Oprofile gave an error about a missing qt library. I have both qt3 and qt4 installed. Qt4 definitely works. Don't have anything to test qt3.

Tried installing the plugin using http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/PluginInstallHel p. It gave the following errors:

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
session context was:(profile=epp.package.cpp, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile.core,0.3.0.20100 8261754
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile.core.linux.x86_6 4,0.3.0.201008261754
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile.doc,0.3.0.201008 261754
No repository found containing: org.eclipse.update.feature,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile,0 .3.0.201008261754
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile.launch,0.3.0.201 008261754
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile.ui,0.3.0.2010082 61754

I tried the suggestions here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/511367/error-when-updatin g-eclipse

No luck. Still the same error.

The wiki at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/PluginInstallHel p talks about manually installing 'zip' files. But there doesn't seem to be a zip file, only bz2 files and the repository archive dialog will only accept .zip or .jar.

I also tried extracting the bz2 file to the eclipse directory but it's not recognized. I wasn't sure exactly which directory it should be in (plugin, top level, other). I'm not sure if manual installation is even allowed although some websites e.g. http://agile.csc.ncsu.edu/SEMaterials/tutorials/install_plug in/index_v35.html suggest it is (but then miss out important details).

There seem to be a _lot_ of reports of errors when installing the plugin so should I just wait (another) few months or is there anything I can do to get it working now?

Thanks,

Rob.

Re: opxml installation [message #642242 is a reply to message #641729] Tue, 30 November 2010 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Simpson wrote on Sat, 27 November 2010 04:46
An update on my attempts to get the plugin working:

Upgraded Ubuntu to 10.10. This stopped the existing Eclipse installation working completely (no default text editor, compile & run did absolutely nothing). Seems it couldn't find the CDT (which I'd had to reinstall as 10.10 had removed it).

This is a known Ubuntu/Debian bug. There is a work-around for this, but I don't recall what it was. Could you drop by #eclipse-linux on irc.freenode.net (IRC). There are usually Ubuntu/Debian maintainers for Eclipse around. They would be happy to help you. Sorry about that.

Robert Simpson wrote on Sat, 27 November 2010 04:46

Anyway, removed the eclipse installation. Downloaded the Helios version and manually installed it. Likewise with Oprofile. Eclipse works again.

Oprofile gave an error about a missing qt library. I have both qt3 and qt4 installed. Qt4 definitely works. Don't have anything to test qt3.

Tried installing the plugin using http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/PluginInstallHel p. It gave the following errors:

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
session context was:(profile=epp.package.cpp, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile.core,0.3.0.20100 8261754
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile.core.linux.x86_6 4,0.3.0.201008261754
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile.doc,0.3.0.201008 261754
No repository found containing: org.eclipse.update.feature,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile,0 .3.0.201008261754
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile.launch,0.3.0.201 008261754
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile.ui,0.3.0.2010082 61754

I tried the suggestions here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/511367/error-when-updatin g-eclipse

No luck. Still the same error.

The wiki at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/PluginInstallHel p talks about manually installing 'zip' files. But there doesn't seem to be a zip file, only bz2 files and the repository archive dialog will only accept .zip or .jar.

I also tried extracting the bz2 file to the eclipse directory but it's not recognized. I wasn't sure exactly which directory it should be in (plugin, top level, other). I'm not sure if manual installation is even allowed although some websites e.g. http://agile.csc.ncsu.edu/SEMaterials/tutorials/install_plug in/index_v35.html suggest it is (but then miss out important details).

There seem to be a _lot_ of reports of errors when installing the plugin so should I just wait (another) few months or is there anything I can do to get it working now?

There is an EPP package which includes CDT, Linuxtools (i.e. also the oprofile plug-in). It's available here:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

The package you are looking for is called "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Linux Developers". Could you try using that? When you try to use the oprofile plugin the first time you will need to compile opxml first, but instructions for that should pop up once the plugin notices that there is no opxml where it looks for it. Feel free to get back to us should you have problems compiling that. Either here or in #eclipse-linux on Freenode.

Cheers,
Severin

Re: opxml installation [message #642294 is a reply to message #642242] Tue, 30 November 2010 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Severin Gehwolf wrote on Tue, 30 November 2010 09:45
[
There is an EPP package which includes CDT, Linuxtools (i.e. also the oprofile plug-in). It's available here:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

The package you are looking for is called "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Linux Developers". Could you try using that? When you try to use the oprofile plugin the first time you will need to compile opxml first, but instructions for that should pop up once the plugin notices that there is no opxml where it looks for it. Feel free to get back to us should you have problems compiling that. Either here or in #eclipse-linux on Freenode.

Cheers,
Severin

This is the package I'm using. Unfortunately one of the things I did trying to get the plugin to work has deleted all the workspace files and I'm having a lot of difficulty getting them back.

Originally this project came from MSVC and I simply created empty projects and the source files automatically appeared. For some reason it's not happening this time. I have the 'auto-discovery' option set (the default value).

So really simple question: Starting from an empty (static library) project and a folder full of source files, how do I get the files into the project? I checked http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse .cdt.doc.user/getting_started/cdt_w_existing_code.htm but it talks a lot about CVS and doesn't answer the basic question.

Maybe this has changed between Galileo and Helios? If so is there a guide to migration?

Thanks,

Rob.

Re: opxml installation [message #642319 is a reply to message #642294] Tue, 30 November 2010 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's what you can try:

Fire up Eclipse and set the workspace to the folder containing your MSVC projects. From inside Eclilpse the workspace appears empty. After that try to create a C/C++ project for each MSVC project with the same name.

For example when the workspace is
/home/user/clib
and you have a folder
/home/user/clib/project1
you can try creating a C or C++ project with name
project1
using workspace
/home/user/clib
When creating the project Eclipse should give you a warning that the destination folder already exists, but you can ignore it. Once the project is created you should see files already existing in folder
project1
. You may have to refresh the project (F5).

--Severin
Re: opxml installation [message #642373 is a reply to message #642319] Wed, 01 December 2010 05:16 Go to previous message
Thanks for that. However it still doesn't import them automatically.

Once I'd realized the 'add files to project' functionality is called 'import' in Eclipse, I was able to right click on the project -> import->File System. There were a lot of subtleties e.g. you have to explicitly add header files (I've got several that just include a bunch of .hpp files). Also it seems Eclipse has it's own picture of the filesystem e.g. I see references to '/home/robert/workspace/command' whereas the actual directory is '/home/robert/eclipse/workspace/lib/command'. Using the same syntax for 2 different things is is _really_ confusing.

I had to move a couple of header files around (were really in the wrong place anyway) but overall I think I'm happier with doing the project creation manually. That way (I think) I can understand what's happening.

Anyway, it compiles and runs fine now. So back to the plugin...

Thanks again for your help, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Rob.
Previous Topic:using the ChangeLog plugin without CVS
Next Topic:OpxmlProvider problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:35:50 GMT 2024