Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Spatiotemporal Epidemiological Modeler (STEM) » Dependence on administrative regions
Dependence on administrative regions [message #521065] Tue, 16 March 2010 11:25 Go to next message
Arik Kershenbaum is currently offline Arik KershenbaumFriend
I've noticed that some elements of STEM (the infector, particularly) are tied to an ISO administrative region. This is slightly at odds with the model of a scenario-model-disease, which is independent of external property files. In particular, although it is possible to construct a simulation with a non-geographic model, it would be impossible to run it because the infector is tied to a country/administrative region.

This problem arose because I was trying to write an abstract lattice capability that could be used to test disease models in a controlled spatial grid. But there are other practical implications in any case where the fundamental geographical unit isn't an administrative region. For instance, we might (will!) want to simulate the spread of foot and mouth disease across a group of farms, or look at mosquito breeding pools. Or even the spread of disease between hospital beds. In all these cases, STEM would support the model, but not the infector.

It was suggested that the problem is with the infector wizard and not with the type itself, but I don't think this is the case. The infector implementation uses its targetISOKey to answer a getTargetURI(). Of course, I could define a new superclass for both old-style infectors and new, administrative-independent ones, but that's not a very nice solution.

I'm raising this issue here and not in the bug list, well partly because Jamie asked me to, but also because I like the scenario-model-disease architecture, and I think it's important to preserve it. But others may feel that STEM is and should be tied to clear geographical entities. So I'm hoping people will contribute their thoughts.

Thanks,
Arik
Re: Dependence on administrative regions [message #525570 is a reply to message #521065] Tue, 06 April 2010 22:21 Go to previous message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Hi Arik,

my 5 cents, I think you're right that depending on geographical regions in STEM is limiting. Matt's been thinking about adding a real "graph editor" to STEM where nodes and connections such as hospital beds, mosquito breeding pools and farms could be created. As long as the "nodes" in such a model has a URI, we can reference it from say an infector (we might need to think about how to add those to the location picker where we currently only support geographical regions).

The map view wouldn't be used when running such as simulation, instead it would be some kind of graph visualizer. Of course, it would still be possible to add relationships like the fact that a farm is located in a particular county so in those causes both visualizations might be useful.

Previous Topic:Build from Source Qs
Next Topic:Dependence on administrative regions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:48:31 GMT 2024