Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » RCP / Won't start on OSX / deltapack / JavaSE1.6 / compiled on PC
RCP / Won't start on OSX / deltapack / JavaSE1.6 / compiled on PC [message #519490] Tue, 09 March 2010 01:24 Go to next message
Jeff S. is currently offline Jeff S.
Messages: 29
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Sorry for the subject line on this question, but I'm not really sure how
to ask this.

I just released a beta version of an RCP app I wrote, and got feedback
from a Mac user that the program won't start. It appears briefly in the
dock, then closes w/o warning.

The app can be downloaded here:
http://tinyurl.com/googlecode-download

I suspect/hope that problem is that the user just doesn't have the
latest version of Java installed (I compiled for JavaSE1.6), but I'm not
sure, as I don't have a Mac to test on.

My question is: can someone w/ a Mac (and the latest version of Java
installed), please try to download and run the app from the link above
(30mb uncompressed)?

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this issue w/o a Mac (and won't have
access to one for a little while).

I've searched the groups for similar problems, and found a few threads
w/ OSX issues when compiling on a PC, but they didn't seem to be the
same problem that was reported to me.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-jeff
Re: RCP / Won't start on OSX / deltapack / JavaSE1.6 / compiled on PC [message #519497 is a reply to message #519490] Mon, 08 March 2010 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff S. is currently offline Jeff S.
Messages: 29
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
He looked in his console log, and sees this error:

3/8/10 7:07:52 PM com.apple.launchd[132]
([0x0-0x130130].org.eclipse.eclipse[2662])
posix_spawnp(" /Users/XXXXXXXXXX/Desktop/RCPNAME/RCPNAME.app/Contents/MacOS /RCPNAME ",
....): Permission denied

Any idea what the posix_spawnp() error means?


On 3/8/2010 8:24 PM, Jeff S. wrote:
> Sorry for the subject line on this question, but I'm not really sure how
> to ask this.
>
> I just released a beta version of an RCP app I wrote, and got feedback
> from a Mac user that the program won't start. It appears briefly in the
> dock, then closes w/o warning.
>
> The app can be downloaded here:
> http://tinyurl.com/googlecode-download
>
> I suspect/hope that problem is that the user just doesn't have the
> latest version of Java installed (I compiled for JavaSE1.6), but I'm not
> sure, as I don't have a Mac to test on.
>
> My question is: can someone w/ a Mac (and the latest version of Java
> installed), please try to download and run the app from the link above
> (30mb uncompressed)?
>
> I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this issue w/o a Mac (and won't have
> access to one for a little while).
>
> I've searched the groups for similar problems, and found a few threads
> w/ OSX issues when compiling on a PC, but they didn't seem to be the
> same problem that was reported to me.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide!
>
> -jeff
Re: RCP / Won't start on OSX / deltapack / JavaSE1.6 / compiled on PC [message #519565 is a reply to message #519497] Tue, 09 March 2010 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian is currently offline Christian
Messages: 72
Registered: July 2009
Member
Am 09.03.2010 03:41, schrieb Jeff S.:
> He looked in his console log, and sees this error:
>
> 3/8/10 7:07:52 PM com.apple.launchd[132]
> ([0x0-0x130130].org.eclipse.eclipse[2662])
> posix_spawnp(" /Users/XXXXXXXXXX/Desktop/RCPNAME/RCPNAME.app/Contents/MacOS /RCPNAME ",
> ...): Permission denied
>
> Any idea what the posix_spawnp() error means?
>
>
> On 3/8/2010 8:24 PM, Jeff S. wrote:
>> Sorry for the subject line on this question, but I'm not really sure how
>> to ask this.
>>
>> I just released a beta version of an RCP app I wrote, and got feedback
>> from a Mac user that the program won't start. It appears briefly in the
>> dock, then closes w/o warning.
>>
>> The app can be downloaded here:
>> http://tinyurl.com/googlecode-download
>>
>> I suspect/hope that problem is that the user just doesn't have the
>> latest version of Java installed (I compiled for JavaSE1.6), but I'm not
>> sure, as I don't have a Mac to test on.
>>
>> My question is: can someone w/ a Mac (and the latest version of Java
>> installed), please try to download and run the app from the link above
>> (30mb uncompressed)?
>>
>> I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this issue w/o a Mac (and won't have
>> access to one for a little while).
>>
>> I've searched the groups for similar problems, and found a few threads
>> w/ OSX issues when compiling on a PC, but they didn't seem to be the
>> same problem that was reported to me.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can provide!
>>
>> -jeff
>


In my experience Buildhas some serious problems.
i.e.
1. there is a open bug that execution permissions are not set when
exported to zip file. (sounds like your problem)

2. building for Mac on Linux does not work due to once some .app
directory is written uppercase and once lowercase.

If you want to build for Mac ... build it on Mac. There it works.
Re: RCP / Won't start on OSX / deltapack / JavaSE1.6 / compiled on PC [message #519618 is a reply to message #519565] Tue, 09 March 2010 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff S. is currently offline Jeff S.
Messages: 29
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I don't have access to a Mac right now, so it's a pain to debug. I've
asked the Mac users to try to set the correct permissions on the .zip
they downloaded. Awaiting their response.

Also, I only exported 32 bit versions. From researching, it seems like
I needed to export a cocoa 64bit version as well (as some of the users
are on 64bit intel Macs), so I included a swt.cocoa.x86_64 fragment, and
exported a 64bit build (although that's still going to have the
permissions issue).

>
>
> In my experience Buildhas some serious problems.
> i.e.
> 1. there is a open bug that execution permissions are not set when
> exported to zip file. (sounds like your problem)
>
> 2. building for Mac on Linux does not work due to once some .app
> directory is written uppercase and once lowercase.
>
> If you want to build for Mac ... build it on Mac. There it works.
>
Re: RCP / Won't start on OSX / deltapack / JavaSE1.6 / compiled on PC [message #519910 is a reply to message #519618] Wed, 10 March 2010 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian is currently offline Christian
Messages: 72
Registered: July 2009
Member
Am 09.03.2010 15:01, schrieb Jeff S.:
> Thanks for taking the time to reply!
>
> I don't have access to a Mac right now, so it's a pain to debug. I've
> asked the Mac users to try to set the correct permissions on the .zip
> they downloaded. Awaiting their response.
>
> Also, I only exported 32 bit versions. From researching, it seems like
> I needed to export a cocoa 64bit version as well (as some of the users
> are on 64bit intel Macs), so I included a swt.cocoa.x86_64 fragment, and
> exported a 64bit build (although that's still going to have the
> permissions issue).

You can get around the permission problems if you just build the stuff
and then zip it by hand. Works nicely on Linux.. though forgot how well
it works on Windows.

Christian
Re: RCP / Won't start on OSX / deltapack / JavaSE1.6 / compiled on PC [message #519919 is a reply to message #519910] Wed, 10 March 2010 13:56 Go to previous message
Jeff S. is currently offline Jeff S.
Messages: 29
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Thanks for the reply!

I just updated the .zip available for download (after manually using
7zip to archive them).

Hopefully someone with a Mac will let me know if they work this time.

-j

On 3/10/2010 8:25 AM, Christian wrote:
> Am 09.03.2010 15:01, schrieb Jeff S.:
>> Thanks for taking the time to reply!
>>
>> I don't have access to a Mac right now, so it's a pain to debug. I've
>> asked the Mac users to try to set the correct permissions on the .zip
>> they downloaded. Awaiting their response.
>>
>> Also, I only exported 32 bit versions. From researching, it seems like
>> I needed to export a cocoa 64bit version as well (as some of the users
>> are on 64bit intel Macs), so I included a swt.cocoa.x86_64 fragment, and
>> exported a 64bit build (although that's still going to have the
>> permissions issue).
>
> You can get around the permission problems if you just build the stuff
> and then zip it by hand. Works nicely on Linux.. though forgot how well
> it works on Windows.
>
> Christian
Previous Topic:Product Export Dependency resolution and deadlocks
Next Topic:where to put images whether in ImageRegistry or at ImageDescriptor
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Oct 25 23:39:08 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.08126 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software