Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » Encoding problems
Encoding problems [message #514944] Wed, 17 February 2010 09:57 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 4
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
Hi,
I have this web project that was written on Eclipse 3.0 + tomcat 4.1. now when I try to check out this project to my new Eclipse 3.5.1+ tomcat 6, I have this wired encoding problem (I had more other problems but managed to solve them Smile).

when debugging, I have this simple line:

String str = "Hebrew Word";

I can see the Hebrew word on the Editor just fine, but when the debugger steps over this line, the str variable holds gibberish.
I tried also Glassfish 2.1, the same problem.

does anyone has a clue what is going on here?

Thanks.
Re: Encoding problems [message #514953 is a reply to message #514944] Wed, 17 February 2010 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani Megert
Messages: 3801
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
mr_van_halen@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I have this web project that was written on Eclipse 3.0 + tomcat 4.1.
> now when I try to check out this project to my new Eclipse 3.5.1+
> tomcat 6, I have this wired encoding problem (I had more other
> problems but managed to solve them :)).
>
> when debugging, I have this simple line:
>
> String str = "Hebrew Word";
>
> I can see the Hebrew word on the Editor just fine, but when the
> debugger steps over this line, the str variable holds gibberish.
> I tried also Glassfish 2.1, the same problem.
>
> does anyone has a clue what is going on here?
Make sure that the right encoding is specified in your launch config.

Dani
>
> Thanks.
>
Re: Encoding problems [message #514981 is a reply to message #514953] Wed, 17 February 2010 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 4
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
Can you please be more specific?

the project based of utf8
I configured project resource to utf 8.
What or where else should I check?

Thanks
Re: Encoding problems [message #514994 is a reply to message #514981] Wed, 17 February 2010 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani Megert
Messages: 3801
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
mr_van_halen@hotmail.com wrote:
> Can you please be more specific?
>
> the project based of utf8
> I configured project resource to utf 8.
> What or where else should I check?
Check the 'Common' tab of your Run/Debug configuration.

Dani
>
> Thanks
>
Re: Encoding problems [message #515011 is a reply to message #514944] Wed, 17 February 2010 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 4
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
It's utf-8 as well.

I forgot to mention, It's not happening only on debug but at run-time as well.

BTW, I am not sure about the older eclipse version that the project was running on, it could be version 2.X.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 February 2010 13:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Encoding problems [message #516471 is a reply to message #515011] Wed, 24 February 2010 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Williams is currently offline David Williams
Messages: 176
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
mr_van_halen@hotmail.com wrote:
> It's utf-8 as well.
>
> I forgot to mention, It's not happening only on debug but at run-time as
> well.
>
> BTW, I am not sure about the older eclipse version that the project was
> running on, it can be even version 2.X.
>

Is your "string" in a JSP file? If so, do you specify something like
<%@ page language="java" pageEncoding="utf-8"
contentType="text/html;charset=utf-8"%>
at the beginning?

You say the debugger has jibbrish, but is it correct if displayed on a
web page? (Not that I'd know what that means ... just curious).
Re: Encoding problems [message #516482 is a reply to message #514944] Wed, 24 February 2010 08:16 Go to previous message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 4
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
No, this code is inside a simple class with .Java extension.
I am not trying to display this word, it's just for comparing strings.

P.S.
This project uses AspectJ
Previous Topic:validator v2 problem
Next Topic:Create WebService API with Multiple Classes
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Sep 19 13:52:34 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02077 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software