Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Faceted Project Framework » modifying facet constraints programmatically
modifying facet constraints programmatically [message #491276] Tue, 13 October 2009 22:21 Go to next message
Hania A. is currently offline Hania A.Friend
Hi!

I had a question regarding WTP facets that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.

I work on a project that adds a custom facet to a dynamic web project, along with a certain number of required prerequisites. Some time after the project is created, I need to be able to remove some of those required facets programmatically as part of project maintenance. I am running into a problem, however, because understandably "One or more constraints have not been satisfied." So my question is: is there any way to programmatically modify the project's constraints so that I can remove required facets (or add conflicting ones)?

I really appreciate any help or direction you can offer in this regard.

thank you,
Hania A.
Re: modifying facet constraints programmatically [message #491468 is a reply to message #491276] Wed, 14 October 2009 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
The API is not going to knowingly allow you to get into an invalid state, so you can't remove a facet that another facet depends on and leave it at that.

But, the API does support the case where you are replacing one facet with another. Say you have facet A that requires B or C. Currently A and B are installed. You can't just remove B, but you can remove B and add C as long as you do it all in one operation. If this sounds like something that would help you out, take a look at the IFacetedProjectWorkingCopy interface. The working copy allows you to compose all of the your changes in memory and then do a single "commit" operation.

Hope this helps.

- Konstantin
Re: modifying facet constraints programmatically [message #491469 is a reply to message #491468] Wed, 14 October 2009 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Konstantin. I've been using IFacetedProjectWorkingCopy that but it didn't solve my problem.

What I would like to do is to completely change what the requirements of my facet are programmatically so that the new state is not considered invalid.

Eg. originally my facet A required B and C, I would now like to modify it so that A only requires B. Or instead A requires B and D and conflicts with E, etc.
I would like to do this without changing plugin.xml.

Do you know if there is a way to do this?

thank you,
Hania
Re: modifying facet constraints programmatically [message #491472 is a reply to message #491469] Wed, 14 October 2009 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am afraid that there is no way to alter facet constraints without changing facet declaration. I am curious though about your scenario where you are finding this to be necessary. Could you go into more detail? I haven't heard anyone request localized constraints before.

- Konstantin
Re: modifying facet constraints programmatically [message #491480 is a reply to message #491472] Wed, 14 October 2009 18:19 Go to previous message
Actually I'm trying to get around a side effect that a facet I require causes when modifying the version but not when installing it. So rather than changing the version I was trying to uninstall/reinstall. Since I have to do it all in one operation, however, it's smart enough to recognize this sequence as a version change action and causes the unwanted side-effect anyhow.

I realize this is not exactly a scenario that would be ideal for dynamically modifying constraints, but I had hoped the facility existed for some other more legitimate reason Smile

thank you for your help anyhow Konstantin, much appreciated!

Hania
Re: modifying facet constraints programmatically [message #572197 is a reply to message #491276] Wed, 14 October 2009 17:39 Go to previous message
The API is not going to knowingly allow you to get into an invalid state, so you can't remove a facet that another facet depends on and leave it at that.

But, the API does support the case where you are replacing one facet with another. Say you have facet A that requires B or C. Currently A and B are installed. You can't just remove B, but you can remove B and add C as long as you do it all in one operation. If this sounds like something that would help you out, take a look at the IFacetedProjectWorkingCopy interface. The working copy allows you to compose all of the your changes in memory and then do a single "commit" operation.

Hope this helps.

- Konstantin
Re: modifying facet constraints programmatically [message #572214 is a reply to message #572197] Wed, 14 October 2009 17:52 Go to previous message
Thanks Konstantin. I've been using IFacetedProjectWorkingCopy that but it didn't solve my problem.

What I would like to do is to completely change what the requirements of my facet are programmatically so that the new state is not considered invalid.

Eg. originally my facet A required B and C, I would now like to modify it so that A only requires B. Or instead A requires B and D and conflicts with E, etc.
I would like to do this without changing plugin.xml.

Do you know if there is a way to do this?

thank you,
Hania
Re: modifying facet constraints programmatically [message #572243 is a reply to message #572214] Wed, 14 October 2009 17:58 Go to previous message
I am afraid that there is no way to alter facet constraints without changing facet declaration. I am curious though about your scenario where you are finding this to be necessary. Could you go into more detail? I haven't heard anyone request localized constraints before.

- Konstantin
Re: modifying facet constraints programmatically [message #572277 is a reply to message #491472] Wed, 14 October 2009 18:19 Go to previous message
Actually I'm trying to get around a side effect that a facet I require causes when modifying the version but not when installing it. So rather than changing the version I was trying to uninstall/reinstall. Since I have to do it all in one operation, however, it's smart enough to recognize this sequence as a version change action and causes the unwanted side-effect anyhow.

I realize this is not exactly a scenario that would be ideal for dynamically modifying constraints, but I had hoped the facility existed for some other more legitimate reason :)

thank you for your help anyhow Konstantin, much appreciated!

Hania
Previous Topic:modifying facet constraints programmatically
Next Topic:Default facets and Dynamic Preset
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 10:51:51 GMT 2024