Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » Connecting subversive to bdb-backed repos possible?
Connecting subversive to bdb-backed repos possible? [message #43093] Thu, 12 March 2009 07:52 Go to next message
john is currently offline johnFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi there,

is there any chance of connecting from Eclipse/Subversive to a svn
repository which uses a datastore of type Berkely DB (not fsfs)?
I tried to connect with subversive with two test repositorys one of type
fsfs, one with bdb (localy on my pc). It worked with the fsfs repository
but not with the bdb repository. Anyway, I found no information that says
definitely that subversive with a bdb repositry is not possible.

Unfortunatly, the "real" remote repository I want to connect to with
Eclipse/subversive bases on bdb. This is a productive repository, so just
trying with the risk of spoiling it is no option.

So can anyone tell me, whether this could work and if yes, how?

Thanks
Re: Connecting subversive to bdb-backed repos possible? [message #43120 is a reply to message #43093] Thu, 12 March 2009 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jörg Thönnes is currently offline Jörg ThönnesFriend
Messages: 229
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi John,

just some thoughts on this:

On 03/12/09 08:52, john wrote:
> is there any chance of connecting from Eclipse/Subversive to a svn
> repository which uses a datastore of type Berkely DB (not fsfs)?

I guess this depends on the configured connector in Window / Preferences / Team / SVN / SVN Connector.

The JavaHL connector e.g. can create local repositories, so I guess if JavaHL supports BDB, the
Subversive will also do. SVNKit cannot create local repostories.

> I tried to connect with subversive with two test repositorys one of type
> fsfs, one with bdb (localy on my pc). It worked with the fsfs repository
> but not with the bdb repository. Anyway, I found no information that
> says definitely that subversive with a bdb repositry is not possible.

Did you create the repository locally? IMHO, for remote repositories the actual data store type
should be transparent.

> Unfortunatly, the "real" remote repository I want to connect to with
> Eclipse/subversive bases on bdb. This is a productive repository, so
> just trying with the risk of spoiling it is no option.

I would expect that the SVN server protects against any spoiling/inconsistencies, but of course it
is better to be cautious.

Cheers, Jörg

> So can anyone tell me, whether this could work and if yes, how?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
Re: Connecting subversive to bdb-backed repos possible? [message #43352 is a reply to message #43093] Mon, 16 March 2009 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Igor Burilo is currently offline Igor BuriloFriend
Messages: 435
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello john,

What exact problems do you have with Berkley DB repository, if it's possible
please provide a stacktrace? Did you try with both connectors?

> Hi there,
>
> is there any chance of connecting from Eclipse/Subversive to a svn
> repository which uses a datastore of type Berkely DB (not fsfs)?
> I tried to connect with subversive with two test repositorys one of type
> fsfs, one with bdb (localy on my pc). It worked with the fsfs repository
> but not with the bdb repository. Anyway, I found no information that says
> definitely that subversive with a bdb repositry is not possible.
>
> Unfortunatly, the "real" remote repository I want to connect to with
> Eclipse/subversive bases on bdb. This is a productive repository, so just
> trying with the risk of spoiling it is no option.
>
> So can anyone tell me, whether this could work and if yes, how?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
Re: Connecting subversive to bdb-backed repos possible? [message #43787 is a reply to message #43120] Wed, 25 March 2009 11:28 Go to previous message
john is currently offline johnFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi there,
thanks for the answers so far and sorry for my late reply!

I've created my testrepositorys localy on my pc (windows) with svnadmin
(svn command line tools 1.1.4). Then I tried to connect from the 'SVN
Repositorys'- View in Eclipse to these local repositorys ('SVN
Repositorys'-View > right mouse click > New > Repository Location... >
Entering URL (file:C:\....) to the respective local test repository). As
you told me I tried with both connectors (SVN Kit 1.1.7 and JavaHL 1.4.5,
see table below), but both connectors failed to connect the local bdb
repository...


Connector Type|Repository Type|create Repos| browse in Repos
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
SVN Kit 1.1.7 | fsfs |not possible| works
SVN Kit 1.1.7 | berkely db |not possilbe| no (unsupported fs type 'bdb')
JavaHL 1.4.5 | fsfs |how? | no (unable to open repository )
JavaHL 1.4.5 | berkely db |how? | no

Does this lead me to the conclusion, that it is not possible to connect
with Eclipse/Subversive to a SVN 1.1.4 bdb type repository? Or may the
problem with the JavaHL 1.4.5 connector be rooted in the fact that I try
to connect to local repositorys with file URLs (instead of 'regular'
"http://...."-URLs)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Previous Topic:Checkout in an existing non-shared project
Next Topic:Crediantials prompted by plug-in for each SVN server operation
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Dec 20 00:59:18 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03451 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software