Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » General (non-technical) » Eclipse Foundation » process for submitting a contribution to a project
process for submitting a contribution to a project [message #42796] Wed, 29 November 2006 16:33 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: dkel50.nohotspammail.com

I have been looking to see if there is a standard eclipse project process for contributing to a project but I can't seem to find it.
I see some projects define themselves a process for submission but I wondered if their wasn't one for all projects.
For example, if someone wanted to contribute new code (which has been written to the eclipse coding standards) to a project, how should
they go about submitting this to the project ? How long should they expect to wait to here if their contribution has been accepted or
rejected, and what can be done if they feel the rejection is unfair. If accepted, I would assume the contributer becomes a "developer"
so that they could be responsible for fixes and further enhancements ?

Any information on this would be great

Dave
Re: process for submitting a contribution to a project [message #42828 is a reply to message #42796] Thu, 30 November 2006 10:34 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: merks.ca.ibm.com

Dave,

My comments are in line below.


Dave Kelsey wrote:
> I have been looking to see if there is a standard eclipse project
> process for contributing to a project but I can't seem to find it.
Contributions are made by opening a bugzilla feature request for a new
capability and then providing an implementation of it as an attachment,
making it clear in the comments that you are donating the contribution
as EPL. Contributions of significant size (> 250 lines of code) require
review and approval by Eclipse legal, so that team considering accepting
the contribution will need ensure that this gets done (fill out an
IPZilla to queue it for review) before they commit the changes to CVS.
> I see some projects define themselves a process for submission but I
> wondered if their wasn't one for all projects.
I think the above approach should work for any project. A newsgroup
question for the project should help clarify any details.
> For example, if someone wanted to contribute new code (which has been
> written to the eclipse coding standards) to a project, how should
> they go about submitting this to the project ? How long should they
> expect to wait to here if their contribution has been accepted or
> rejected,
I suppose its reasonable to expect some type of response fairly quickly,
but the legal review can take weeks or months because of the high
volumes the legal folks must deal with.
> and what can be done if they feel the rejection is unfair.
It's probably pretty hard to get beyond rejection since the EMO is not
really in a position to force contributions down anyone's throat. It's
best try to work directly with the team to convince them of the merit
and quality of the contributions. Escalating is unlikely to produce
desirable results since if you want to be a committer, you need the
support of the existing team. Keep in mind that most projects really
don't have spare cycles to do even 1/2 of what they would like to get
done, so dealing with contributions is an additional burden that is
often hard to contain given the existing commitments. The cost of long
term support of a contribution is often an issue as well, which is of
course mitigated by folks willing to maintain their own contribution.
> If accepted, I would assume the contributer becomes a "developer"
> so that they could be responsible for fixes and further enhancements ?
There are contributors and there are committers. Becoming a committer
is an earned privilege not a right and requires a consistent track
record of quality contributions along with a vote from the existing
committers to add you as a new one. So in the beginning it's likely
that you will work by providing patches that are reviewed and committed
by existing committers on the project.
>
> Any information on this would be great
Contributions are a great thing and are much appreciated by most
projects, so definitely give it a try.
>
> Dave
Previous Topic:EclipseCon 2007 Call for Papers (reminder)
Next Topic:New Bugzilla
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Sep 22 06:16:46 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02276 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software