Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Frequent UI Freeze, more than 20 Seconds
Frequent UI Freeze, more than 20 Seconds [message #1863895] Mon, 04 March 2024 13:54 Go to next message
Heiko Selber is currently offline Heiko SelberFriend
Hi, I am not a newcomer, but I didn't find a specific forum for this question.

My Eclipse frequently freezes for several seconds, usually longer than 20 seconds. Such a freeze happens 5 to 10 times an hour, or even more.

The workspace log then contains messages like this:

!MESSAGE UI freeze of 21s at 14:17:52.800

...followed by a long thread dump. All threads are either RUNNABLE, WAITING or TIMED_WAITING, i.e. none is actually running, if I am not wrong.

I don't do anything in particular when a freeze happens; I feel that copying text in an editor might trigger it, but then again I do it all the time so I may be wrong. Restarting Eclipse doesn't seem to help.

I have used Eclipse for a long time, and I have learned that an occasional freeze is nothing to worry about, but this new behavior is really annoying.

I use Eclipse 2023-12 with Adoptium Java 17 on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS with Gnome in a VMWare Horizon desktop. Any of these components might contribute to the problem, but only Eclipse is affected, no other program.

I could file a bug report, but first I'd like to collect more evidence. What are likely reasons for a freeze, and where can I find more information, error logs, load metrics and the like?
Re: Frequent UI Freeze, more than 20 Seconds [message #1863900 is a reply to message #1863895] Mon, 04 March 2024 15:41 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I think the error log will have stack traces to show what the UI thread is doing, right? If the stack traces indicate it's really something in the Eclipse UI framework itself (rather than some 3rd party bundle you've installed), you can report the problem along with log details here:

https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.ui/issues

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Assistance Needed: Error Initiating Contract Negotiation in Advanced EDC Setup
Next Topic:websocket-jetty-server not able to upgrade request to websocket
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:05:22 GMT 2024