Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Not familiar with PDE, need help building a plugin and a local update site
Not familiar with PDE, need help building a plugin and a local update site [message #1861052] Fri, 15 September 2023 20:42
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I'm a very experienced Eclipse Java user, but I've done very little with the PDE, and that was several years ago.

There's one plugin that I've used for a long time, but which I think I may have to start relying on simply building it locally. The person who maintains it may not be maintaining it anymore.

I know I did this once, but again, it was several years ago. I don't use the PDE otherwise.

I could use some reminders about how to do this.

The github repo for it is here: https://github.com/MulgaSoft/e4macs .

I just tried installing the "Eclipse for committers" distro from 2023-09. I've cloned the repo to my desktop and I imported that repo into Eclipse.

This created ten projects, although I think only the nine nested projects are relevant. In those nine projects, only one has a single compile error (the only one with Java code), in the following block:

public SelectionDialog(Shell parent, ISelectExecute mini, ITextEditor editor) {
		// Europa compatible constructor
		super((Shell) null, PopupDialog.HOVER_SHELLSTYLE, false, false, false, false, null, null);
		this.editor = editor;
		this.minibuffer = mini;
	}

Saying:
The constructor PopupDialog(Shell, int, boolean, boolean, boolean, boolean, null, null) is undefined

Apparently the constructor is supposed to take five booleans, and this is only passing four. This code hasn't changed in 9 years. The comment above the line clearly implies that also.

I would guess that if I'm going to get this to work in 2023-09, I'll have to fix that error, as opposed to trying to figure out how to use an older version of what this is depending on, if that's even possible.

I don't suppose anyone would know which one of the five boolean formal parameters were most recently added? I suppose I could just guess and add an additional "false" and that will probably be fine, but I should probably understand the consequences of what that additional parameter is for.

Once I get the compile error fixed, what is the process for building this so I can construct a local update site?
Previous Topic:Cross tab with large data set
Next Topic:Could not find a org.eclipse.pde.core.targetLocations extension for type: Maven
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:00:13 GMT 2024