Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » Can't compile forte in Raspberry Pi with OPC UA
Can't compile forte in Raspberry Pi with OPC UA [message #1860595] Sun, 20 August 2023 06:04 Go to next message
roger giglio is currently offline roger giglioFriend
I am new to 4diac and i am trying to compile FORTE for a Raspberry pi 4 with OPC UA, but it keeps crashing.

Compiling for RPI was a success.

However after successfully compile open62541 v1.0 according to tutorial with OPC UA, i have tried to include the extra commands in file setup_posix.sh (file attached).

It creates all cmake files in /bin/posix but after make command it gets stuck forever after some time compiling (screenshot attached). Have already tried on two RPI's 4 (4GB and 8GB). Both have the same results.

What am i doing wrong?

Note: I am using Raspbian OS 64 bits.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Attachment: setup_posix.sh
    (Size: 1.63KB, Downloaded 17 times)
  • Attachment: Error.png
    (Size: 155.90KB, Downloaded 20 times)
Re: Can't compile forte in Raspberry Pi with OPC UA [message #1860606 is a reply to message #1860595] Mon, 21 August 2023 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

compiling 4diac FORTE for the first time takes quite some time. In order to speed up the compilation you can use more cores. You can do this by using the -j option for make. If you just take -j it takes all available cores. if you specify a number you can select how many cores it will use. e.g., make -j4 will use 4 cores.
Re: Can't compile forte in Raspberry Pi with OPC UA [message #1860652 is a reply to message #1860606] Thu, 24 August 2023 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roger giglio is currently offline roger giglioFriend
Thanks for the reply and i apologize for my delay.

I understand your point but i don't think its just a matter of compiling time because I have managed to compile forte 2.01 (from this repository https://git.eclipse.org/r/4diac/org.eclipse.4diac.forte.git) running setup_posix.sh script.

Compiling time was around 3 to 5 minutes with basic modules (IEC61131, CONVERT and UTILS).

However when a follow the tutorial instructions to include OPC_UA things don't go as planned.

After successfully building Open65241 i try to build forte by following the instructions below paying attention to correct directories paths :

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug \
-DFORTE_ARCHITECTURE=Posix \
-DFORTE_MODULE_CONVERT=ON \
-DFORTE_COM_ETH=ON \
-DFORTE_MODULE_IEC61131=ON \
-DFORTE_COM_OPC_UA=ON \
-DFORTE_COM_OPC_UA_INCLUDE_DIR=$HOME/4diac/open62541/build \
-DFORTE_COM_OPC_UA_LIB_DIR=$HOME/4diac/open62541/build/bin \
-DFORTE_COM_OPC_UA_LIB=libopen62541.so

CMake build files are created.

However after comand "make -j" it starts the compilation process but crashes around 65% to 75% and i have to reset the raspberry pi 4.

I have tried to include the commands inside setup_posix.sh but i get the same error.

Finally i installed cmake-gui and tried to include paths and parameters till i have no red lines. Cmake creates the building files but after "make" command it crashes the same way.

I have managed to cross-compile it on a Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and run it on a RPI without issues.
Re: Can't compile forte in Raspberry Pi with OPC UA [message #1860656 is a reply to message #1860652] Thu, 24 August 2023 08:26 Go to previous message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

Hmh this is strange and I wouldn't have expected this. I just had a problem with "make -j" of using to much memory on a Windows machine. Reducing the number of threads to 2 or 4 helped there. Could this also be the case?

Please note that we upgraded 4diac FORTE to the latest 1.3.x release in the freeze and develop branches. Especially if you need better OPC UA support I recommend to use the freeze branch. The develop branch is currently a bit fuzzy. However for that you also need to use the Freeze version of 4diac IDE which you can get from here: https://download.eclipse.org/4diac/updates/milestone/
Previous Topic:Suggestion for wider HW support
Next Topic:Porting Forte.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:38:39 GMT 2024