Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Launching Help from RCP application on macOS(Error launching Help system from RCP application )
Launching Help from RCP application on macOS [message #1859351] Thu, 01 June 2023 16:58 Go to next message
CathyScott Mising name is currently offline CathyScott Mising nameFriend
I have an RCP application that is built for macOS, Windows and Linux. I have incorporated the org.eclipse.help feature to add my own help files.

The help system works perfectly on both Windows and Linux. It even works fine on macOS in a development environment - ie launching from Eclipse as a product.

But once built and deployed to a macOS system it fails with a Help Error dialog and a message 'Unable to open web browser on {0}.

This occurs on Ventura, Big Sur and Catalina macOS systems.

Also, I cannot view the error log as this also fails with an unable to open web browser error - see screenshot. As before viewing the error log is possible on other operating systems and from within an Eclipse product launch.

It seems to be an issue with launching scripts - see the error in the screenshot

cannot run program "usr/bin/open"; error=0, spawn failed.
I've checked and the script is there.
Perhaps this is a permissions issue? I'm not even sure where and how to start working out what the error is. There is nothing shown in the log file and I cannot debug it as it works fine in the dev environment .

Thanks in advance for any help.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 June 2023 16:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Launching Help from RCP application on macOS [message #1859380 is a reply to message #1859351] Sat, 03 June 2023 06:23 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm not sure either, and I don't have a Mac. I'm not sure what to suggest... One thing you can do is remote debug the real application to see how the behavior differs from self-hosted debug launch. You can add this to the eclipse.ini
-Xdebug
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8123
And then create a remote debug launcher that connects to port 8123.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Version semantic of release for both eclipse and maven
Next Topic:Microsoft DLL being loaded when launching our app
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:40:47 GMT 2024