Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse freezes at splash screen(after launch Eclipse freezes at splash screen and remains unresponsive)
Eclipse freezes at splash screen [message #1858097] Wed, 15 March 2023 16:29 Go to next message
Pradeep S is currently offline Pradeep SFriend
Hi,
Recently I launched eclipse after a not using for a long time, I was prompted to install some plugin updates, I choose to update all plugins, everything worked fine, but when I reboot eclipse, I see eclipse freeze at flash screen and there is response at all.

Please help to resolve this issue.

I have attached the log file

[Updated on: Thu, 16 March 2023 02:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse freezes at splash screen [message #1858110 is a reply to message #1858097] Thu, 16 March 2023 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
That looks like quite an old installation and it is running on Java 14. But the latest version needs Java 17. You'd probably be best to install a new version.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse freezes at splash screen [message #1858131 is a reply to message #1858110] Thu, 16 March 2023 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pradeep S is currently offline Pradeep SFriend
Thanks for the advice.

I upgraded to Java 19, but I'm still getting the same error

log is as follows

!SESSION 2023-03-16 21:19:35.426 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=4.20.0.I20210611-1600
java.version=19.0.2
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product -console -consoleLog -debug

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2023-03-16 21:19:38.819
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid filter directive
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleResolutionReport.createOSGiRequirement(ModuleResolutionReport.java:200)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleResolutionReport.printRequirement(ModuleResolutionReport.java:184)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleResolutionReport.printResolutionEntry(ModuleResolutionReport.java:123)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleResolutionReport.getResolutionReport0(ModuleResolutionReport.java:114)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleResolutionReport.printResolutionEntry(ModuleResolutionReport.java:140)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleResolutionReport.getResolutionReport0(ModuleResolutionReport.java:114)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleResolutionReport.printResolutionEntry(ModuleResolutionReport.java:140)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleResolutionReport.getResolutionReportMessage(ModuleResolutionReport.java:211)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:462)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel$2.run(ModuleContainer.java:1849)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor$1$1.execute(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:136)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1842)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1783)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1747)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1669)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345)
Caused by: org.osgi.framework.InvalidSyntaxException: Extraneous trailing characters at ")": (&(osgi.wiring.bundle=org.apache.batik.util)(version=[1.7.0,1.8.0)))
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.FilterImpl$Parser.parse(FilterImpl.java:1341)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.FilterImpl.newInstance(FilterImpl.java:181)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.FilterImpl.newInstance(FilterImpl.java:177)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleResolutionReport.createOSGiRequirement(ModuleResolutionReport.java:198)
... 22 more
Re: Eclipse freezes at splash screen [message #1858144 is a reply to message #1858131] Fri, 17 March 2023 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The error itself really does suggest that some bundle with corrupt metadata in the MANIFEST has been installed. I would create a new installation rather than try to fight this battle.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse freezes at splash screen [message #1863298 is a reply to message #1858097] Wed, 24 January 2024 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vince Pelss is currently offline Vince PelssFriend
A quick google search suggests this happens far too often.

It has happened to me in two days and required a new install each time. There are other ide's out there that don't crash every day....

It worked for a day and next day, kapput.

As a new user, you have lost me. Life is to short to fight with software and have people tell me I need to troubleshoot it...
Re: Eclipse freezes at splash screen [message #1863299 is a reply to message #1863298] Wed, 24 January 2024 15:57 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

A quick Google search isn't going to find postings from people like me for whom this doesn't happen, but your choices are your own. If you do want to troubleshoot,
please do append some of the error messages that are showing up in the log files, or try a prepackaged download, and only a download, from
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages .

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2024 16:03]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Unknown host cbi.eclipse.org: Name or service not known
Next Topic:creation of element failed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:02:33 GMT 2024