Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » Can I create a "virtual" project(I want to create a project that does not have any actual files in it)
Can I create a "virtual" project [message #1856274] Wed, 30 November 2022 13:58 Go to next message
Bob Kostes is currently offline Bob KostesFriend
For many years I used the Dynamsoft SourceAnywhere plugin for my version control. It also had a main external app for handling things outside of Eclipse.

It had a feature called Sharing. I created a project called Installation. It did not have any actual files. It consisted of "shares" from other projects (some Java source examples, PDFs, jars, scripts, etc.). Then I simply did a GET, zipped it up and I was done.

I read the Subversive doc and I do not see anything like this. Am I misreading?

I have the luxury of not having to do a full-blown installation app. A zip file is sufficient for distribution.

thanks
Re: Can I create a "virtual" project [message #1856298 is a reply to message #1856274] Thu, 01 December 2022 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Thompson is currently offline Michael ThompsonFriend
Do you mean something like SVN Externals? https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-externals.html
Re: Can I create a "virtual" project [message #1856310 is a reply to message #1856298] Fri, 02 December 2022 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think so. I don't want to check anything out of the repository. I want a logical collection of files in the repository (a Project). This would represent the installation of a product. I then do an Export, those files are written to the directory I choose, and the repository remembers nothing about the operation. The logical collection is remembered so I can export again down the road when a new version is ready.

This project would have its own folder structure, most likely, different from the real files.

I guess you can think of it as a collection of exports. Something you don't want to do manually every time there is a new version.

For example, there is a doc folder with readmes, images, Word files, etc. and the final generated PDFs. Only PDFs and readmes need to be shipped.
Re: Can I create a "virtual" project [message #1856336 is a reply to message #1856310] Sun, 04 December 2022 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicolas PeiferFriend
I don't know such a function in Subversion. I my mind, your use case sounds more like a build tool functionality than a source control matter. In our company, we use the Maven Assembly Plugin for packaging deliverable ZIP files.
Re: Can I create a "virtual" project [message #1856356 is a reply to message #1856336] Tue, 06 December 2022 15:44 Go to previous message
To me build and version control are linked. In a big team, different people. In a small team, the same person. Maven Assembly looks great but for Eclipse it looks like I should be using ANT.

thanks
Robert
Previous Topic:Issue insstalling SVN plugin
Next Topic:[2012-12] SVN Connector not found
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:56:03 GMT 2024