Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » lua vs luajit in forte
lua vs luajit in forte [message #1851042] Fri, 25 March 2022 14:25 Go to next message
Arkadiusz Gibes is currently offline Arkadiusz GibesFriend
Hi

Im new here so firstly just would like to say hello, hello there! :)

Im working on forte build for esp32 mcu. I found that in cmake configuration forte can be built with lua instead of luajit. What would be the difference ? It's important for me because i can't compile luajit for esp32 platform wihout proper port, instead i can use lua component that is ready to use and seams to be quite complete. Any hint on that ?

Thanks
Arek
Re: lua vs luajit in forte [message #1851055 is a reply to message #1851042] Fri, 25 March 2022 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

Hi,

first of all welcome the Eclipse 4diac! We are happy to have you here.

I must confess I thought there shouldn't be a real difference. Have you tried just compiling 4diac FORTE with normal lua? Maybe giving it a try first on a pc?

It would be amazing to have 4diac FORTE support for the esp32. Have you got it working without lua already? I think this would be an important step. When I start to bring 4diac FORTE to a new device I always start with the most minimal 4diac FORTE possible. So no extra modules only fdk and ethernet communication layers. And when that is up and running I look for more.

cheers,
Alois
Re: lua vs luajit in forte [message #1851066 is a reply to message #1851055] Sat, 26 March 2022 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Alois

I already have it working on esp32. For now, it works over Wi-Fi, but i have new board coming soon which will support both wireless and Ethernet. I have basic support for I/Os (custom SIFB) and dynamic type loader will be probably next step. I haven't try yet with lua on PC. I will prepare component with lua for esp32 soon, and we will see. I thought that this option in cmake is for some reason :) One more question. Is there any option to inject boot config file to physical device remotely without recompiling?

Thanks
Arek
Re: lua vs luajit in forte [message #1851363 is a reply to message #1851066] Mon, 04 April 2022 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Arek,

these are cool news. Would you be interested in writing a short news post for the 4diac web-page on the esp32 porting? Or even a small documentation?

Rwgarding the boot config. Do you mean a boot file? For that we need a file system. But if you have a file system you can have a look on our bootfile infrastructure.

Cheers,
Alois
Re: lua vs luajit in forte [message #1851465 is a reply to message #1851363] Wed, 06 April 2022 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Alois

Yes, I can prepare some how-to, but I may need some time to do this. Do you have any requirements for it ? What's the proper way to publish it ? Btw. I successfully got Lua working on esp32. About boot config, I meant kind of mechanism in 4diac IDE which would allow sending this file for example over TCP, so it can be saved in FS and used after reboot. And of course I have file system on esp32. Any hint on that ? Would it be possible to implement such a feature in future 4diac IDE revisions ? or maybe it's already there and I am blind :)

Thanks
Arek

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2022 10:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: lua vs luajit in forte [message #1851824 is a reply to message #1851465] Mon, 18 April 2022 20:24 Go to previous message

Hi Arek,

I just noticed that somehow the post below that I drafted some days ago was never sent. Sorry for the delay. Finally here some answers from my side:

thanks for your offer. We have two options how you can contribute here. The quick and easy one is to write a news entry with some background for our news section on the web page. The quickest is you draft something with some pictures and I turn it into a news entry and let you review that. But as our web-page is a git repo you can directly do that there as well. In principle it is a short php/html file. You can take other posts as reference.

The longer option is to write a help entry for our documentation. Our help is again html files which are hosted in the 4diac IDE repository. Here you could take another porting guide as starting point.

I was not sure if there is a file system on the esp32. I have several embedded systems without one. Currently we don't have an infrastructure in 4diac IDE/4diac FORTE to transfer boot files to targets. There is an open bug entry in our bugzilla but sofar we didn't have a good idea to solve that. Any recommendations or solutions are warmly welcome.

Previous Topic:how can I use those default FBs correctly
Next Topic:questions about StructureText language
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:20:24 GMT 2024