Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Mac product exports files to wrong place(Mac RCP export)
Mac product exports files to wrong place [message #1848162] Tue, 23 November 2021 00:26 Go to next message
Ian C is currently offline Ian CFriend
Hi,
can anyone explain why my RCP Mac product has the files in the wrong place?

Or redirect this question to the correct forum if I am (like the Mac files) in the wrong place :-)

I exported it via the wizard using the 2020-03 Eclipse. After much messing about I moved the files into the Contents directory of the app. (Not overwriting the MacOS directory - have to copy into that one) and then it works.

Why don't we export the app correctly. Is this a known thing?

It is tedious to have to move the files around and as a newbie to Mac development very confusing. Still figuring out how app bundles on a Mac hang together.

Do later versions correct this? I will try for myself later.

Am I missing one of the myriad of tricky little Eclipse settings?

[Updated on: Tue, 23 November 2021 06:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mac product exports files to wrong place [message #1848263 is a reply to message #1848162] Fri, 26 November 2021 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Most people build using Maven/Tycho so it may well be that when the mac layout changed some years ago that the export implementation was not updated. It's probably best to open a Bugzilla report.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Mac product exports files to wrong place [message #1848339 is a reply to message #1848263] Sun, 28 November 2021 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply, Ed. I will try with the latest release and see if that makes any difference.

My main problem is that I have inherited this code and whilst I can thrash around and change our part of the world I lack the fundamental understanding of how Eclipse and RCP hangs together.
I'll also checkout the Tycho build. Although I was trying to avoid Maven. If there was a good Gradle way to manage I would be happier with that. But as far as I can see there isn't an easy way to convert.
I read something about bnd tools and Gradle?

It is not a complicated project in that it is not using a wide range of bundles and I was hoping the simple internal Eclipse mechanisms would suffice.
But I seem to get locked into a spiral of adding jars to the content and then exporting. Until magically it works.
And then somehow it doesn't.... rinse and repeat.

I would like to get rid of thinking about this stuff and automate it a much possible and so Tycho may be the way I have to go.

Re: Mac product exports files to wrong place [message #1849619 is a reply to message #1848339] Thu, 27 January 2022 05:15 Go to previous message
I have battled through and made the thing build via the Eclipse/Tycho path. With help from the guys on the Tycho project.
Much learning, whaling and gnashing of teeth :-) Mostly due to my own ignorance of how things work.
But it is all good now and I have a command line build.

Thanks again for the advice.
Previous Topic:Eclipse dumps core in libglib.so on Ubuntu when left idle after start
Next Topic:Cannot access http://download.eclipse.org/releases/neon/ with DAVE IDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:41:54 GMT 2024